Whats a good career move?

BurntRubber

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about a new career. I love cars, working on them, detailing them, driving them...etc. I am not a certified technician so a mechanic is out the window (I have been taking classes at local college to learn). I would love to work in a tuner shop, even if its on a sales desk. Just want to be around cars. Any ideas, I am a hard worker...Pay is important but I can take a hit for a few years.
Whatcha guys think?

PS...no I dont want to sell cars...unless its ferrari's, Lambo's things like that!

HaulinAsp said:
Jiffy Lube?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

New Jerz humor...I miss it! But my old man is down here this week busting my balls!!!

SrtBrad said:
Get a job being a test driver for a TV show or work for a show like Pink's All Out. :dontknow:

That would be awesome!!!

Bro,

I'm looking to fall into a position as a service advisor for Toyota, Nissan or Inifinti. This industry is in much, much better shape than new car sales in this economic environment. Yet it is still a sales position and requires experienced car people with sales skills.... People are more prone to repair their vehicles than to buy a new one at this time....and they gotta get to work....

Anyway, I'm a bit weary of chasing leads and doing cold calls... In the service deptartment of a major automobile dealership (particularly one with a solid reputation) a good service writer can do 100k+ a year..... For now, that's good 'nuff for me.....

Good luck and God bless you in your search.....

D

Cars are everyone's here passion but I wouldn't want to work in the industry it would probally bore me after a while. I worked detailing cars and that was fun for a while but it got to be a pain in the butt.

I used to write service for Infinti. I also sold parts for Infiniti and Volvo. Most of the guys in the shop were gear-heads too. Most of them had "fun" cars also. It was great to constantly associate with fellow enthusiast. Unfortunately in Chattanooga (atleast at dealership I worked at) a service writer didn't make anywhere near 100k. Especially at Infiniti, those damn things seldom broke!

IF you get into writing service or even sales, do it at a "luxury" car dealer. The clientel that can afford a luxury car are more apt to take their cars to the dealer for services. Plus, if it ever breaks they'll more than likely take it the dealer for diagnosis - AND - they'll usually chose to have it fixed.

I've talked to several guys that work at dealerships offereing "entry level" cars like Kia, Suzuki etc and they said trying to sell the car itself AND sell the services and or repairs was like pulling teeth.

Whatever you chose Carlo - Good luck. :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Focus on the schooling aspect...get the skills needed to do exactly what you want to do. Your concept is correct...get into something that is vocation as well as avocation...there is nothing better than getting up every morning to do your hobby! But that approach requires an investment...an investment in yourself...follow your heart, be willing to pay your dues (academically, financially and personally).

Find a company that will fund your schooling...

Set your goals very high, never, ever sell yourself short...it is better to have tried and failed than to realize you sold yourself short 15 years down the road and not be able to start again.

Prof said:
Focus on the schooling aspect...get the skills needed to do exactly what you want to do. Your concept is correct...get into something that is vocation as well as avocation...there is nothing better than getting up every morning to do your hobby! But that approach requires an investment...an investment in yourself...follow your heart, be willing to pay your dues (academically, financially and personally).

Find a company that will fund your schooling...

Set your goals very high, never, ever sell yourself short...it is better to have tried and failed than to realize you sold yourself short 15 years down the road and not be able to start again.

Well that about sums up what I was going to say... A professor once told me, when I was just beginning college, to find a career that I like and the money will eventually follow. So I ditched law enforcement, focused on a new career and never looked back. He was absolutely right.:D

To echo Prof..

Figure out a way to take what you are doing now and use those skills to parlay into a new field. Work your butt off and show the company that you were worth taking the risk on, the make them want to invest in your education in that field.

It will take some research and legwork up front, but you can always take what you know and somehow make it fit into the new field.

The population is aging, and any type of service or product that serves this growing need will not only be profitable, but rewarding. Healthcare is a great area, medical devices, retirement services, even advertising in unique ways to this segment of the population will be huge.

And probably most importantly, leverage your network.

hmm i don't know man if your set on doing it do it!... i myself have worked in the Show scene Of Car/Trucks.. built Trucks on airbags and Trucks that had 52" tires under neath them.... if you want to do it i say go for it... I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a pay cut as long as your are doing something you enjoy getting up for everymorning

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys!!! At this point in my life (30 yr old) with a family and kids, I want it to be something I can do for a while with some stability. But, I want to enjoy work, I have been successful in business and been able to set aside money to aid me in these situations. I have always dreamed of owning a car restoration shop. Maybe I could go over to Scottsdale and find some dealership to fit in at. I know there are some performance shops around here also. Even a detailing business would be fine for me, if I could do high end cars.

my application for billionair has been in for a while now. so all i can say is work hard, stay true to why your there and things click.

BurntRubber said:
Wow, thanks for all the responses guys!!! At this point in my life (30 yr old) with a family and kids, I want it to be something I can do for a while with some stability. But, I want to enjoy work, I have been successful in business and been able to set aside money to aid me in these situations. I have always dreamed of owning a car restoration shop. Maybe I could go over to Scottsdale and find some dealership to fit in at. I know there are some performance shops around here also. Even a detailing business would be fine for me, if I could do high end cars.

PM HotRodMike before you go in that direction!

If you have some cash I have a business for you. No, I am not selling a business or trying to make a buck myself. It is an off shoot of what I do now. I have had this idea for some time. Basically, you would do car loans on high end specialty cars. Licensing is simple and the profits average 8% return on your money per month. You can run the business by yourself and make at least $100k a year. To make $100k a year, you would need to have $100k to $200k to invest in your business. How many businesses do you know of that you can run yourself and make 100% return on investment per year? Most people think they don't exist. Truth is, they are just really tough to find. PM me if you want details. I would be willing to put up some cash if you want to do the work. I have a good business now and I don't want to stretch myself too thin by doing this myself.

ChrisAZ said:
If you have some cash I have a business for you. No, I am not selling a business or trying to make a buck myself. It is an off shoot of what I do now. I have had this idea for some time. Basically, you would do car loans on high end specialty cars. Licensing is simple and the profits average 8% return on your money per month. You can run the business by yourself and make at least $100k a year. To make $100k a year, you would need to have $100k to $200k to invest in your business. How many businesses do you know of that you can run yourself and make 100% return on investment per year? Most people think they don't exist. Truth is, they are just really tough to find. PM me if you want details. I would be willing to put up some cash if you want to do the work. I have a good business now and I don't want to stretch myself too thin by doing this myself.

PM sent...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back