Wheel hop problem detroys my spider gears!!

I would do something..anything...Just to not get beat by a chick in a Lightning, putting on her make up :2in1: :D Damn I know that hurt LOLOLOL

Most of the R/C's come with wheel-hop in them...lol
When you lower the Truck you inhance this feature....so:

............CalTracs

262974.jpg

Quick

Last edited:
QUICKSILVER said:
Most of the R/C's come with wheel-hop in them...lol
When you lower the Truck you inhance this feature....so:

............CalTracs

Quick
I am lowered and have never had any wheel hop. :dontknow:

TheSickness said:
I would do something..anything...Just to not get beat by a chick in a Lightning, putting on her make up :2in1: :D Damn I know that hurt LOLOLOL

Yeah, no kidding. At least she was a cute chick in a Lightning!!:rock:

Greg

If you are really serious about racing, and I know you are, I would pull out the entire rearend and have new ends welded on. Get rid of that POS carrier with the C-Clip axles and throw in a Detroit Locker. You can also at that time go to different calipers and rotors and run any size tire/wheel combination you want. Anything you do with this housing is a bandaid.

You can do it once, or do it again later and do it right.

Jack can supply you with all the information you need. You also have Bill Schriebner in the local area that can do the conversion for you.

ViperTruck2933 said:
Things seem to change after we got her supercharged...more power!
Are you supercharged? And how much tq. are you trying to put to the pavement?

Quick

Last edited:
Funny, the big gorilla is a mind reader!!! I just picked up a complete rear on ebay thanks to a heads-up by Nowwhat. I am gonna ditch my whole rear housing and throw in the complete ebay setup. Then after selling my calipers and rotors to Nowwhat, I will begin building that rear with high quality racing components. Perhaps even a spool or, I have always wanted to put an ARB Airlocker in a street/drag vehicle. It will see some new gears, new dif, new axles, and smaller disc brakes. Will try to get it done by next summer, but right now I am broke between buying this new rear and business obligations. My business is not showing any signs of slowed growth, so the truck, as long as it is driving takes a back seat for now. Know anyone who needs new axles or a carrier, or 4:10 gears Silver? Selling that stuff would cetainly help get the project going.

Greg

ViperTruck2933 said:

I never had any wheel hop either until I bolted on a set of drag radials and got them nice and hot. Then, the hopping came. And seemed to get worse with every pass. Trust me, spinning is what I do with the stock tires as well. But when you bolt on something that won't spin once warmed up properly, the stock chassis will hop if you launch at any more than 1300RPM. Cal-Tracs are necessary if you are running drag radials or slicks on these trucks. Otherwise, you are likely to do what I did to my truck.

Greg

fun2xlr8 said:
Funny, the big gorilla is a mind reader!!! I just picked up a complete rear on ebay thanks to a heads-up by Nowwhat. I am gonna ditch my whole rear housing and throw in the complete ebay setup. Then after selling my calipers and rotors to Nowwhat, I will begin building that rear with high quality racing components. Perhaps even a spool or, I have always wanted to put an ARB Airlocker in a street/drag vehicle. It will see some new gears, new dif, new axles, and smaller disc brakes. Will try to get it done by next summer, but right now I am broke between buying this new rear and business obligations. My business is not showing any signs of slowed growth, so the truck, as long as it is driving takes a back seat for now. Know anyone who needs new axles or a carrier, or 4:10 gears Silver? Selling that stuff would cetainly help get the project going.

Greg

Cool Greg.....money sent for the parts.....:D

Guys,

Ive been to the track...just a few times....:D

On my truck, the more traction I had, the more the rear windup and hop became prevalent. Caltracks are nice but evasive if you are like me. Worried about warranty. So, look at my pic's. The OEM passenger side track bar was considerable lower than the driver(left). I replaced the rubber bumps with urethane and preloaded both sides by 1/8". This may firm up the ride alittle but who gives a rats a$$. This REDUCED my wheel hop. Didnt cost $hit. Cause we all know I'm a cheap bastage....

Notice the right side needed a few custom made shims to set the proper preload. So, the OEM setup was alittle lop sided and could have contributed to our problems....:idea:

damn...my suspension doesnt look that dirty when I looked at it...damn camera....power wash time after work....

Attachments

• MVC-009F.JPG
    MVC-009F.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 73
  • MVC-010F.JPG
    MVC-010F.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 103
I am getting my truck back from the dealer for the same problem you had with the pinion bearing. The dealer is replacing the whole gear assembly.

At the track I didn't have any wheel hop and did not have any noise from the pinion bearing. Two days after the track I started hearing the noise which progressively got worse in a 3 day period.

If it's not wheel hop that caused my problem what could it have been? I was running 18" 305 Nitto DR's at the track and no problems with no wheel hop and no problems until 2 days later with regular driving.:dontknow:

Will "Line Lock" and a traction package like Caltracs help the stress the gears are put through?

Also what kind of HP and Torque are these Dana Super 60's designed for?

Any help would be appreciated.:rock:

Brad

SrtBrad said:
I am getting my truck back from the dealer for the same problem you had with the pinion bearing. The dealer is replacing the whole gear assembly.

At the track I didn't have any wheel hop and did not have any noise from the pinion bearing. Two days after the track I started hearing the noise which progressively got worse in a 3 day period.

If it's not wheel hop that caused my problem what could it have been? I was running 18" 305 Nitto DR's at the track and no problems with no wheel hop and no problems until 2 days later with regular driving.:dontknow:

Will "Line Lock" and a traction package like Caltracs help the stress the gears are put through?

Also what kind of HP and Torque are these Dana Super 60's designed for?

Any help would be appreciated.:rock:

Brad
More than likely it was caused by the burn out, when your holding the break one wheel is spinning slighly faster than the other, that cooks the clutches and fluid, and make the gears weak....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back