WHEEL POLISHING

WILDMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to polish my wheels. Is this something I can do myself or do I need to have it done by a professional. If I can do it myself what do I need. If I need to send them out what will it cost??? Can anyone help me with information.

Wade

WILDMAN said:
I want to polish my wheels. Is this something I can do myself or do I need to have it done by a professional. If I can do it myself what do I need. If I need to send them out what will it cost??? Can anyone help me with information.

Wade
I was thinking about the same thing, weighing it against "permastar" treatment. I did think our wheels were coated and didn't know how this played into it.:dontknow:

Careful...i dont thing there is much you can do "if " you have the polished aluminum wheels. Im pretty sure that they have a clear coat on them. Just use amonia free windex. As for the non polished wheels...well i dont know!

joemags54 said:
I was thinking about the same thing, weighing it against "permastar" treatment. I did think our wheels were coated and didn't know how this played into it.:dontknow:

Joe, you do not even belong in this thread....

Now me, I am interested in this as well. I think I'll just let Mags polish them for me when I do his brakes. :p

WILDMAN

I think they do have a coating on them. I wasn't even sure if they could be polished.

Wade

SRT-IZ said:
Careful...i dont thing there is much you can do "if " you have the polished aluminum wheels. Im pretty sure that they have a clear coat on them. Just use amonia free windex. As for the non polished wheels...well i dont know!

yea i tried poliiching my old 20's and the aluminum polish scrathed them up pretty bad so i did it on one wheel and it looked pretty bad so just be careful on what you use

most of our factory wheels are clear coated....believe it or not, you can cut and buff just like a car....

uncleared polished wheels you have to go through a few steps, and it's dirty and aggravating...

TREKER said:
Joe, you do not even belong in this thread....

Now me, I am interested in this as well. I think I'll just let Mags polish them for me when I do his brakes. :p
Very funny wise guy. What did you get a girlfriend or something? PS. If we wait till the weather is better, I thought I'd throw a BBQ, Scotty.

joemags54 said:
Very funny wise guy. What did you get a girlfriend or something? PS. If we wait till the weather is better, I thought I'd throw a BBQ, Scotty.

Same situation here for me Joey baby... Im readxy when you are. I was gonna take the beast out today but I figured you would get very upset with the wind. I may take a spin tonight when it all calms down and no one is on the road. I'm needing a cruise.

Brakes next month for sure. I am ready for a bbq. Lets set something up.

Im scared to buff mine, the fkn clear is already chipped....and still no word from Chrysler as to if they are going to take care of it:mad: :mad:

wheels that are clear coated can have the clear coat removed by simply using oven cleaner but dont leave it on long. just water alone will neutralize it. good step after removing the clear coat would be wet sanding them with 1000+ grit wet dry sandpaper working to 3k grit. third a buffing wheel with cotton wheels and use jewelers-rouge starting with green and finishing with pink or white. with each color of rouge u will have to have a different buffing wheel. when done finish with window wax. it will protect them while just taking a little gleam off them.

remember when having polished rims u will have to polish them about every 3 to 4 months and if a dog pee's on your rims it will corrode fast. i love polished aluminum but not worth the hassle and will take several hours per rim.

IMG_0103.jpg

Voodoo is correct. If you go this route at the very least you'll want them clearcoated again. For durability powdercoat clear is good. You can also have them sprayed with automotive Urethane clear or one product I used first time a few years ago is a ceramic based clear coating. I've had good results with it. Many of the aftermarket rim companys have switched to this coating as it won't dull polished aluminum like regular powdercoat clear does.

I ended up going with Permastar and very pleased with the product. Only downside is Permastar stated that they would 'clean up' the rim before coating. On one of my rims that needed some bad powdercoat job gone bad removed I found they did not do proper prep....i.e. simply sand down a couple bubbles. Permastar apologized and offered to redo but I never had them do it. If my rims were not perfect I'd have them touched up by a local polisher first before sending them to Permastar. Again...its been a couple years now and rims look as good as the day I got them back from Permastar. Thats about 50K miles worth of wear and tear.

WILDMAN

The truck of the month has polished or chrome wheels. Does anyone know anything about them. They look great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wade

WILDMAN said:
The truck of the month has polished or chrome wheels. Does anyone know anything about them. They look great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wade
I think he said they were chromed. Never thought to ask anything else, where did he get them done, how much, etc.:eek:

WILDMAN said:

Wade

they are chome from LA Wheel.

they usually have a listin on ebay. can either buy out right, swap them for your wheels & save a chunk of change &/or go tire wheel package
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Mother's make a aluminun polish use it with the ball, just attach the ball to a power drill, your wheel will look awesome

Prof said:
PermaStar!

img045.jpg
Roy, you are soooo right.:rock: This IS the way to go!! I just had the set I bought from Doneo Permastar-ed and they look great:congrats: . Pix to follow, once I select the rubber and get them mounted.

Chrome Rims

I bought a set of Chrome ones from Tire Rack,they are Triple dipped Chrome and were not bad on the Price ( around $290 a Rim). Very pleased with them. With the Tires(pirelli) and the Rims costed $2300.00. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back