Where does everyone get there gears?

Hemitime1

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time trying to get someone local to find me a set of 456's or 488's to go in my truck. Seems to be pretty confusing. I've asked a couple local installers about getting them and they have come back with more questions than answers. None of them has been able to answer wether
or not I'll need to replace the carrier with either gear. I've shot Tony an email and I'm sure he will respond with the answer, but in the meantime I thought I would hit up the experts. Also whats the pro's and con's to both gears. Right now I have 410's and traction is definetley a problem. Truck wants to spin as soon as it hits 4k in first and second now. How do you guys handle the traction issue?

I'm having a hard time trying to get someone local to find me a set of 456's or 488's to go in my truck. Seems to be pretty confusing. I've asked a couple local installers about getting them and they have come back with more questions than answers. None of them has been able to answer wether
or not I'll need to replace the carrier with either gear. I've shot Tony an email and I'm sure he will respond with the answer, but in the meantime I thought I would hit up the experts. Also whats the pro's and con's to both gears. Right now I have 410's and traction is definetley a problem. Truck wants to spin as soon as it hits 4k in first and second now. How do you guys handle the traction issue?

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/speed-gears-32/

In my opinion the most helpful thread when choosing which gears to use. As far as where everyone buys them, I haven't purchased yet so am unsure where to get them.

Unitrax is the outfit that build replacement kits. Tony can get them ,i think. I changed mine out and love it! My biggest complaint was 6th gear. The truck was a slug!! no accerleration ! and just reved to slow at 65mph ,which is our speed limit! I do miss staying in 3rd till 100mph !!

If I'm not mistaken 4.88 needs a carrier, 4.56 doesn't. For street driving 4.88 are a blast. And make 6th gear more usable. We all have problems with traction, but if you are having problems with 4.10 going 4.56-4.88 is counter productive. Judging by your screen name you have a hemi with an auto, that means a smaller diameter tire and more effective gear ratio. If that's the case 4.88 will be a little too much for you. You don't have our overdrive. If you ever put slicks on it, the smaller diameter compounds your problem.

Put poly bushings in the rear, sway bar, better shocks, calvert traction bars to reduce wheel hop stickier tires, drop the rear 2 inches. A number of things you can so, but you need to offer more info on your current setup.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken 4.88 needs a carrier, 4.56 doesn't. For street driving 4.88 are a blast. And make 6th gear more usable. We all have problems with traction, but if you are having problems with 4.10 going 4.56-4.88 is counter productive. Judging by your screen name you have a hemi with an auto, that means a smaller diameter tire and more effective gear ratio. If that's the case 4.88 will be a little too much for you. You don't have our overdrive. If you ever put slicks on it, the smaller diameter compounds your problem.

Put poly bushings in the rear, sway bar, better shocks, calvert traction bars to reduce wheel hop stickier tires, drop the rear 2 inches. A number of things you can so, but you need to offer more info on your current setup.

Actually I believe it's 4.10 to 4.56 you'll have to change carrier. 4.56 to 4.88 you are good to go! Tire height can be changed to a taller diameter to offset the 4.88 should you choose. You need to base gearing on your setup.:burnout:

Actually I believe it's 4.10 to 4.56 you'll have to change carrier. 4.56 to 4.88 you are good to go! Tire height can be changed to a taller diameter to offset the 4.88 should you choose. You need to base gearing on your setup.:burnout:

Appreciate the correction. I asked a while back about cryo'ing my 4.56 or getting 4.88 and sending them off. Someone told me it would cost more to get the 4.88 because I needed a carrier. I took it as fact and didn't do the 88 because of it. They must have misunderstood the 04 gear swap vs 05-06. Now, do you have to change carrier to go 5.13?

I took the quote below to mean he had an '04 RC

It would be helpful to know which truck he has.

His first post on the forum was about him getting ready to do a 6 speed conversion and asking if the qc driveshaft would work. I'm guessing he has qc with an auto. If he is spinning at 4k rpm in second gear, either his Hemi must be heavily modded, or he has a stout Srt

Appreciate the correction. I asked a while back about cryo'ing my 4.56 or getting 4.88 and sending them off. Someone told me it would cost more to get the 4.88 because I needed a carrier. I took it as fact and didn't do the 88 because of it. They must have misunderstood the 04 gear swap vs 05-06. Now, do you have to change carrier to go 5.13?

I beleive it's 4.10 and higher ratio use one carrier, then 4.56 lower use another carrier. Some companies use Thicker or thinner gearsets to use in the same carrier, but you compromise integrity that way. Doubt they even do this for our Super 60, but many gearsets can be made to accomadate the carrier difference on most rear ends.
You should be able to go up to 5.13 with no prob. 5th and 6th could actually be pretty cool with 5.13s.:D We'd be shifting like a crotch rocket though!:)

Actually, I just got it all together a couple of months ago. I have a modded hemi with the T-56 behind it in a 1500 ram QC on 20's. Once I got the T-56 in traction became a real problem. I am trying to address that at the same time I am changing gears because 1st is so long. I agree that traction will get worse with the taller gears but I'm hopeing with a little help from you guys , that I can fix that problem. I appreciate the recommendations and I will definetley be working towards doing them. Does the caltracs work with the underleaf. Mine is dropped 5/7. 31 in tires on the factory 20's.

That's a good idea, I will probably run the 4.88's which would be great for the street and run a slightly taller drag radial for the track.

Unitrax is the outfit that build replacement kits. Tony can get them ,i think. I changed mine out and love it! My biggest complaint was 6th gear. The truck was a slug!! no accerleration ! and just reved to slow at 65mph ,which is our speed limit! I do miss staying in 3rd till 100mph !!

I'll try to search unitrax, I'm still waiting to hear back from Tony. I hear ya on sixth. I'm turning about 1400 rpm's at 75mph.

Wildman

I changed my gears several years ago from 4:10 to 4:56. I did NOT have to change the carrier. I would have had to if I used 4:88.
I love my 4:56's.

Wade

Hemitime, if you search unitrax on this forum you can find their contact info and the name of the guy there you need to talk to(I'd post a link but I'm on my phone) they'll be a couple hundred dollars cheaper than tony too. As far as ratio I still have 4.10's and just use a 28" drag slick at the track. If you looking for the best times at the track stay away from 4.88's, a lot of people like the 4.56's though. Don't waste your money on caltracs un less your just looking for something that'll bolt on, I'm fabbing up some 60" ladder bars to transfer weight to the rear, caltracs will stop wheel hop but don't really transfer any weight.

Hemitime, if you search unitrax on this forum you can find their contact info and the name of the guy there you need to talk to(I'd post a link but I'm on my phone) they'll be a couple hundred dollars cheaper than tony too. As far as ratio I still have 4.10's and just use a 28" drag slick at the track. If you looking for the best times at the track stay away from 4.88's, a lot of people like the 4.56's though. Don't waste your money on caltracs un less your just looking for something that'll bolt on, I'm fabbing up some 60" ladder bars to transfer weight to the rear, caltracs will stop wheel hop but don't really transfer any weight.

Thanks Arrestmered04, I'll search them and see if I can't find the contact info. One of the reasons for wanting higher gears is my motor is built more for high end and first gear is a little long. I dont make the monster torque like you guys do. LOL.

Good to hear the info on caltracs. I have been debating on if they would help. I was looking into ladder bars but haven't found anyone that sells them. Are you going to sell the ladders? If so I may be interested. I've thought about fabbing some up if I could find a good pic of one.

I hear ya on the transferring weight. A guy that has really good 60ft times gave me a few tips to try. My truck was miserable. I pulled the rear overloads and put air shocks on like he said and it made a huge difference. But, still breaking loose at 4k and above. My tires are stock 20's so I know that has a lot of room for improvement. And I'll change them pretty soon. Right now i'm trying to get the most traction with what I have and work the weight transfer. After I removed the overloads and went with the air shocks, the front end would raise a little and the rear started biteing a lot better. Now I'm getting the wheel hops. I'm just trying to get it to hook the best that I can on the street, then I'm going to try some drag radials and see what kind of times I can run.

Thanks for the info. Unitrax knew there stuff. Gave me three options to pick from.

Thanks for the info. Unitrax knew there stuff. Gave me three options to pick from.

Good to hear man, ill post up pictures of the ladder bars when i get them done, might be a little while though I've been working on the boat a lot lately.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back