Which Diesel???

hahaha yeah ok i'll tell ya what i live about 3 hours from conroe you bring your viper on a trailor i'll follow behind you when you take your truck down there and i'll follow you in the viper of corse and you can stay at my place.. an i'll even let you keep the car in the garge lol hahahaha;) :rock: :rock: :burnout:

Tooloe said:
hahaha yeah ok i'll tell ya what i live about 3 hours from conroe you bring your viper on a trailor i'll follow behind you when you take your truck down there and i'll follow you in the viper of corse and you can stay at my place.. an i'll even let you keep the car in the garge lol hahahaha;) :rock: :rock: :burnout:

The only problem is I will be selling my Viper to do this. Hopefully if I get what I want for the car, I can pic up a CTD in the upper $20k rang and still have about $10k to put into the diesel. That should be a good amount to get started. As is the Viper just sits there, in April and May I only drove it 4 times:mad:

But if my Viper makes it out there, you can drive it!

Last edited:
Not that I know anything about diesels :p

Ford is out the 6.0 is junk and the new 6.4 one is terrible on fuel.

GMC/Chevy Will make ok power but the bottom end and the tranny will not hold. Some of the really fast D-maxes have a Dodge 47RE behind them.

Dodge Cummins Do not get the 6.7 The only way you are going to see 11s is with the help of god any time soon. Find a 2003-2007 with a 5.9. Need to be careful of the 2005 because some of them had plastic tanks on the intercoolers and guys were grenadine them at 30-35PSI. You want a 2door 2wheel drive they dont make a short box 2 door that I know of, but the longer wheel base will be ok because of the better control. Don't be scared of the miles, but rather how it was maintained.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to email me.

Twisted Shifter said:
Not that I know anything about diesels :p

Ford is out the 6.0 is junk and the new 6.4 one is terrible on fuel.

GMC/Chevy Will make ok power but the bottom end and the tranny will not hold. Some of the really fast D-maxes have a Dodge 47RE behind them.

Dodge Cummins Do not get the 6.7 The only way you are going to see 11s is with the help of god any time soon. Find a 2003-2007 with a 5.9. Need to be careful of the 2005 because some of them had plastic tanks on the intercoolers and guys were grenadine them at 30-35PSI. You want a 2door 2wheel drive they dont make a short box 2 door that I know of, but the longer wheel base will be ok because of the better control. Don't be scared of the miles, but rather how it was maintained.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to email me.

OK, I am going to check out the web page. But I do need a QC, I have 2 girls need a back seat for whenever I take the girls.

I thought the 03 was not a High Output engine???

if you want a dodge and want to make huge HP and get awesome power you are looking at all the wrong years. A cummins 12V pre 1998 is where it is at or even a 24V which is mostly electronic and easier to get cheaper HP. The newer Cummins motors 02-05 are good no doubt, but i dont care what anyone on here says the 48re is garbage as soon as you put any reasonable power upgrade to it. I had an 05 and added about 150HP extra to it and i was easy on it and at 15,000 miles the tranny was just about toast. Shifted all over the place. I sold it off and bought an 07 duramax classic with the 6speed auto and would never look back. Bought a ppe tuner and can add 450 extra hp with just the tuner. obviously u need supporting mods to do that, but i run it on 225hp with no tranny mods and she handles it like a champ and runs like a raped ape. the gmc drives so so much better and pulls better all around because the allison tranny makes the 48re seem like stone age technology. just my 2 pennies

If you are referring to my site, I just started it so I don't have much on it yet.

Since you need the QC go to a short bed and you have the same wheel base.

Intercool said:
if you want a dodge and want to make huge HP and get awesome power you are looking at all the wrong years. A cummins 12V pre 1998 is where it is at or even a 24V which is mostly electronic and easier to get cheaper HP. The newer Cummins motors 02-05 are good no doubt, but i dont care what anyone on here says the 48re is garbage as soon as you put any reasonable power upgrade to it. I had an 05 and added about 150HP extra to it and i was easy on it and at 15,000 miles the tranny was just about toast. Shifted all over the place. I sold it off and bought an 07 duramax classic with the 6speed auto and would never look back. Bought a ppe tuner and can add 450 extra hp with just the tuner. obviously u need supporting mods to do that, but i run it on 225hp with no tranny mods and she handles it like a champ and runs like a raped ape. the gmc drives so so much better and pulls better all around because the allison tranny makes the 48re seem like stone age technology. just my 2 pennies

Thanks for the insight on the older trucks. I was looking to find one that I could use as a daily driver. I would love to get a QC SRT10 but the gas is just murder driving around town, but I love the way my truck pulled when it had all of its mods on it. Thats why I was thinkning a diesel, love that torque feeling and I wanted better gas mileage. Plus my SRT10 is a lease and I have not kept it that clean over the last 7 months.
As far as speed goes, I love the Viper and it is great to drive but the gears are so long by the time you blast through them your doing 140, its hotter than a sob now that its above 100* in AZ. I really love the aura of the Viper engine and our trucks are bad ass, but I figured for reliabilty, gas mailage, and over all drivability I would go with a Diesel.

PS...the 07 Duramax classic is a great ride, i have driven one with the V8 and they are very comfortable and easy to drive

Yes the 03 is HO ... the SO was sold in Cali. So don't buy one that started in Cali. Yes the 47RE is junk and will need to be built but so will ANY other transmission you go with. My 94 has a RH and its been built with all billet parts.

This is from a Dyno event I go to every year:

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/newsandevents/newsevents.html

Look at the 2008 results, they are divided by make .....

Twisted Shifter said:
Yes the 03 is HO ... the SO was sold in Cali. So don't buy one that started in Cali. Yes the 47RE is junk and will need to be built but so will ANY other transmission you go with. My 94 has a RH and its been built with all billet parts.

This is from a Dyno event I go to every year:

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/newsandevents/newsevents.html

Look at the 2008 results, they are divided by make .....

Cool, thanks...If I buy a truck that has some minor mods (intake, exhaust, etc.) is $10K enough for a good starting point. Keep in mind one of the first mods will be a rear shackle drop and some 22 or 24" rims
So I will probably have about $6k for performance...tranny, engine, turbos...

Ugh .... not big wheels ...:D

Remember you have about 2500 pounds on the front tires ... soft compound rubber bands wont hold up to that weight for long .... when I ran a performance tire on all 4 corners so they matched I got about 10k out of a set ..... I burnt up the back ones and the weight KILLED the fronts.

Twisted Shifter said:
Ugh .... not big wheels ...:D

Remember you have about 2500 pounds on the front tires ... soft compound rubber bands wont hold up to that weight for long .... when I ran a performance tire on all 4 corners so they matched I got about 10k out of a set ..... I burnt up the back ones and the weight KILLED the fronts.

haha...I will probably go 22's like our SRT's...just wont use those factory rims, to heavy and plus I dont want to be that guy!
Speaking of tires I went through all 4 of mine in 10k miles...ouch.

I know I will miss the Viper when its gone but you just can't drive that car under 80 mph. maybe even under 100mph, the gears are so long but there is still so much power. I think my truck is more fun to drive more often then not, just more enjoyable

seems to be better deals on the forums than on autotrader???

I'v heard bad rumors about the duramax...like when you hit 500hp it's a breaking point kinda like buying a roe and putting the 10 pound pully on a stock bottom end:argh:

Yea the D-max likes to bend rods around that point ...........

o another thing i completely agree about the old school dodge's i'v got a buddy that has a Twin turbos or compounds....the thing is flippin Sick

My 12v is still stock weight and rear suspension other than I put CalTracs and air shocks on it and it runs into the 11s

Twisted Shifter said:
My 12v is still stock weight and rear suspension other than I put CalTracs and air shocks on it and it runs into the 11s

Or your buddy that runs 10:36's !!!!!:rock:

Twisted Shifter said:

What year? I don't have a problem going older if the truck is in good condition!

i thought you wanted to go newer if thats the case go with the old body style dodge... i believe the 98 models were a good year

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back