Which is the best air intake

I'll do a search to see if I can find a picture.
I always wondered if the air from the snorkle and the grille created a turbulent air pocket being air was coming in from 2 separate ways?:dontknow:

Thanks, guys. Air can not be "pushed" through the hood opening. Air moves up and over the opening, creating a low pressure spot. It is debatable whether or not air can even be pulled from this spot via engine vacuum. But I would love to see what each of you have done through the grill.

I didn't like what was available from vendors several years ago and decided to build my own. I didn't want a dirty filter in the open as the K&N uses oil. I also didn't want tubing sticking up in the middle of the engine compartment (car shows) when the hood was open as well as the difficulty keeping it aligned and sealed with the scoop on the hood. The scoop is in a poor airflow location over the front of the hood. The stock and added air intakes add enough airflow increase and the added filter surface area provide a ram air effect. There was a noticed increase in performance. The sound was also a plus. The cost was reasonable at less then $100 including the K&N filter.

C3s[1].jpg

DSCN0603.JPG

DSCN0606.JPG

DSCN0609.JPG

AZGTG125b.jpg

I didn't like what was available from vendors several years ago and decided to build my own. I didn't want a dirty filter in the open as the K&N uses oil. I also didn't want tubing sticking up in the middle of the engine compartment (car shows) when the hood was open as well as the difficulty keeping it aligned and sealed with the scoop on the hood. The scoop is in a poor airflow location over the front of the hood. The stock and added air intakes add enough airflow increase and the added filter surface area provide a ram air effect. There was a noticed increase in performance. The sound was also a plus. The cost was reasonable at less then $100 including the K&N filter.

View attachment 49003

View attachment 49004

View attachment 49005

View attachment 49006

View attachment 49007

Cool nitrous setup

I didn't like what was available from vendors several years ago and decided to build my own.

That's outstanding! Do you have any larger pictures or a complete parts list? I would love to do exactly what you did on my truck.

Your nitrous kit looks cool too.

That's outstanding! Do you have any larger pictures or a complete parts list? I would love to do exactly what you did on my truck.

Your nitrous kit looks cool too.

Second that.
Would like to know how you did this. Did the filter come with the cap thingy on the top so it fits the box..?
Looks good :)

:drool::drool::drool:

Last edited:
Here's the parts list and a few more pics. When you have all the pieces in front of you the instructions will make more sense. You may want to aquire a second set of oem parts (airbox and grill panel) that will be modified in case you ever want to return to stock.

COLD AIR INTAKE PARTS LIST:

K&N FILTER RF-1044 (CONICAL FILTER)
K&N FILTER WRAP ( OPTIONAL - IF YOU LIVE IN A DUSTY AREA)
SPECTRE #9148 4†UNIVERSAL DUCT MTG PLATE
(PLASTIC FOR BLACK 90 DEG COUPLER)
SPECTRE # 9781 COUPLER 4†90 DEG (BLACK 4†ELBOW TUBE)
SPECTRE #9798 ELBOW TUBE 4†90 DEG (WELDED ALUMINUM)
SPECTRE #81403 SENSOR ADAPTER
(MTG PLATE FOR FLAT PLASTIC PANEL FACING GRILL. DIDN’T
USE PLASTIC ADAPTER THAT COMES WITH IT)
SPECTRE #9706 COLLAR (SECURES SENSOR ADAPTER AND ALUM. ELBOW)

FLAT PANEL FACING GRILL FOR MTG SENSOR ADAPTER. 1/8†THICK
ABS PLASTIC. SHEET. CUT CENTER HOLE AND ADD MTG HOLES AS NEEDED.

FILTER PANEL 1/16†THICK ABS PLASTIC SHEET. CUT AND RADIUS CORNERS TO FIT SNUGGLY INSIDE OEM AIRBOX. PANEL SEATS ON LEDGE ON INSIDE OF AIRBOX FOR OEM FLAT FILTER. CUT HOLE FOR FILTER FLANGE SO IT’S CENTER IS IN LINE (CONCENTRIC) WITH THE ROUND RECESS IN BOTTOM OF OEM AIRBOX. YOU CAN USE SMALL “L†BRACKETS AND SCREWS TO SECURE THE FILTER TO THIS PANEL.

THIS PART IS OPTIONAL. AIR DEFLECTOR SHIELD. BELIEVE IT OR NOT THIS IS A VENT SEALING CONE USED ON A ROOF. THEY ARE A FLAT SHEET METAL PANEL WITH A MOLDED PLASTIC CONE TO FIT AROUND A 6†VENT PIPE PROTRUDING THRU THE ROOF OF A HOUSE. THESE ARE AVAILABLE AT LOWE’S, HOME DEPOT AND HARDWARE STORES. I CUT THE PLASTIC PART OUT OF THE SHEET METAL LEAVING ENOUGH FLAT PLASTIC TO MATCH THE SIZE OF THE ABOVE FILTER PANEL. I CUT THE TOP OF THE CONE AND CONTOURED IT AS SHOWN IN THE PICTURES. ELIMINATE THE ABOVE “L†BRACKETS. FASTEN THE TWO PANELS TOGETHER AND THE FILTER FLANGE TO THE SIDES OF THE CONE THREE PLACES.

MARK CENTER OF INLET TUBE DIA ON OEM PANEL BEHIND THE GRILL. I COVERED THE AIR TUBE WITH A PIECE OF TAPED ON PAPER, CLOSED THE HOOD AND DRILLED A SMALL 1/8†HOLE THRU THE PANEL. THIS GAVE MEA REFERENCE TO FINF THE EXACT CENTER FOR CUTTING THE INLET HOLE. REMOVE PANEL AFTER MARKING CENTER HOLE AND USING 5†HOLE SAW CUT 5†DIA HOLE IN OEM PANEL BEHIND GRILL FOR AIR INLET.

WITH PATIENCE ASSEMBLE EVERYTHING. IT’S TIGHT BUT EVERYTHING FITS. THE K&N AND SPECTRE PARTS ARE AVAILABLE FROM BOTH SUMMIT AND JEG’S WEB SITES.

DSCN0611.JPG

DSCN0612.JPG

DSCN0607.JPG

Thank you!! I still say you should consider building and selling these yourself. It's a great looking design and I bet it performs very well, too.

I like fever's setup and it really makes a lot of sense too i'm going to try it. i got a buddy to let me try the volant ram air and I noticed a little gain but then I also I opened the hood and thought I opened the gates of hell it was so hot in there.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back