Which oil?

MAC RS

Reaction score
hi just picked up the truck today and love it !
I am going to get the truck serviced and checked over at the garage, which oil do you guys recommend ?
I notice a slight tapping/ticking sound from the engine, I have read that this is normal.
Any advice welcome

Cheers

I've always run Mobil 1 0-40 as that became factory fill in 2005. With that said I just ordered some Amsoil 5-40 Full-SAPS that will be going in this fall.

I didn't like the oil pressure or ticking with the factory fill. I'm on 98,500 miles on M1 15/50 and tried all weights between. Being in Texas I like a nice oil pressure when it's 110* plus ambient temp.:rock:

I run Royal Purple 0W40 do notice a slight tic but my oil pressure stays at 50psi minimum in all temps

I didn't like the oil pressure or ticking with the factory fill. I'm on 98,500 miles on M1 15/50 and tried all weights between. Being in Texas I like a nice oil pressure when it's 110* plus ambient temp.:rock:

What oil presser were you seeing that made you want to change oils? I see 50 PSI with 0-40 even when its over 100 and the truck its hot.

u think that i could use 15w40 here in Belgium / Europe ?

summer 70 - 85/90*
winter 10 - 50*

What oil presser were you seeing that made you want to change oils? I see 50 PSI with 0-40 even when its over 100 and the truck its hot.

Had lower pressures about 35 psi idling during high heat days to 65 + while cooler and running down road. Now I'm steady 50 when hot 75+ when cooler. Tick about gone :)

I debated on what oil to use but in the end bit the bullet and went with factory fill... I really want to use the new Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 because I use Ultra in every vehicle and it's amazing but Ultra 0w40 last time I checked was $13-$14 a quart

Had lower pressures about 35 psi idling during high heat days to 65 + while cooler and running down road. Now I'm steady 50 when hot 75+ when cooler. Tick about gone :)

Weird thats the lowest I've ever heard of for oil presser in these things. They usually have too much presser. Glad the thicker oil is working for you :)

when I was running 0w40 my idle pressure was 19, which is the minimum for these trucks. That means my motor isnt as "tight" anymore, probably from abuse from previous owners. But shes ok now

What ever weight oil you use, I highly recommend using the correct viper oil filter. Mine made some weird noises under load, when I first bought it (had an aftermarket oil filter). Changed to a factory filter and used Shell Rotella 5w40 Full Synthetic, noise is no longer present.

The only noise I hear under load is the screams of innocent children and old ladies thinking that the world is coming to an end and the tires I have right now make a really loud howling sound when I floor it, because they are cheap, shitty, hard, tires that spin on demand. Nevertheless, it sounds awesome.

Nah this one:

0007192444934_500X500.jpg

The good thing is you can find that in the 5 quart container for around $26-28 where the 0-40 is impossible to find in a 5 quart bottle.

I'm talking hot oil on a 110* day sitting idle. It thins out pretty good. I like to keep mine thicker at that point. Walmart even has it in 5 quart jugs like the above poster said. I'm going on 100k mostly with 15/50 M1

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back