Whine type sound - Thoughts?

Rjm84

Reaction score
So....I was driving home today down I-15 in Utah (it was hot today....trucks hasnt gone over 205-210 on the oil temp thing it was sitting at 220 when I noticed the noise if that makes any difference?) when all of a sudden I noticed between roughly 2200-3500rpm the truck had a whine type noise (almost like one of those sequential whatever race trans only not nearly as loud). I took the truck out of gear and revved the thing to 2900ish and the noise was still there. (I dunno a lot about the mechanical aspect as if that's not obvious) I parked the truck infront of my house and i'm about to go see if now that it cooled down if it's still there. I called a buddy of mine in town who told me its normal for the bearings to go bad? (I guess in the trans he was talking about?) That it's like $600-700 or so to fix and not a big deal? Anyone have a similar experience or thoughts about this i'd much appriciate it. It's currently the most realistic DD I have so i'm going to continue to drive the thing unless someone posts something like "STOP! YOUR TRUCK WILL BLOW UP!" or such. I've got another week with the thing until it goes it for all its other parts and was hoping it's fine to drive on until then.

Thanks in advance.
~Rj - mechanical noob

PS: On a totally side note: for my own personal pleasure i'd love to learn more abuot all this stuff. The idea of the JH school (yes, I said his name) obviously isnt a good idea after a very small amount of digging around his name. Is my next best bet to look up WyoTech or whatever it is?

RC or QC and what year??? Mods??? My RC made a whine noise before I had a trans issue and lost 1st and 2nd syncros and gears went going down the highway in 6th go figure.

04 RC - 40,000miles - bone stock.
I'll be totally honest I beat the shit out of it yesterday first time I actually put any stress on it after buying it. Nothing totally reckless or such just wanted to see what was still left in it after 40,000 miles :p

LOL - it's nothing like S/C whine way way softer and such. I'm guessing it has to be trans realted as 2 people have now commented on that most likely being the case. It doesn't like to go into third under hard accel come to think of it.

04 - RC - 40k
Bone stock.

come to think of it - it doesnt like to go into 3rd under hard accel.
I did beat the shit out of it this morning...not in a wreckless manner just first time ive had the chance to see what the thing could do. I've had 2 people tell me they "THINK" it's trans issue (bearings is the first suggestion) but now come to think of it also I have a 96 3kGT VR4 that had a similar sound and it ended up being the syncros....

Rjm84 said:
PS: On a totally side note: for my own personal pleasure i'd love to learn more abuot all this stuff. The idea of the JH school (yes, I said his name) obviously isnt a good idea after a very small amount of digging around his name. Is my next best bet to look up WyoTech or whatever it is?
Is it something your gonna do for a living or just FYI and know how. If your gonna do it for a living Wyo tech is a good school from what i gather. But trust me on this go to school to learn diesel mechanics. The reason I say that is you learn more than general automotive stuff. You will learn computers also, but also hydraulics sys, air sys, of course fuel systems and since diesel is truly the first fuel injected vehicles you will learn it all. But if it is for just general knowledge. Buy the service manual of any vehicle you want to learn about (try and get the original service manuals not chiltons etc) they may cost more but it you can read and follow instructions you can fix anything;) .

Last edited:
Where in Utah are you?

If your anywhere near Lehi Utah, talk to Mike at Gears Transmission in Lehi (if you think it's your tranny)

Ramchargerguy said:
RC or QC and what year??? Mods??? My RC made a whine noise before I had a trans issue and lost 1st and 2nd syncros and gears went going down the highway in 6th go figure.

'04 :dontknow:
'05:dontknow:
RC:dontknow:
QC:dontknow:

Rjm84 said:
So....I was driving home today down I-15 in Utah (it was hot today....trucks hasnt gone over 205-210 on the oil temp thing it was sitting at 220 when I noticed the noise if that makes any difference?) when all of a sudden I noticed between roughly 2200-3500rpm the truck had a whine type noise (almost like one of those sequential whatever race trans only not nearly as loud). I took the truck out of gear and revved the thing to 2900ish and the noise was still there. (I dunno a lot about the mechanical aspect as if that's not obvious) I parked the truck infront of my house and i'm about to go see if now that it cooled down if it's still there. I called a buddy of mine in town who told me its normal for the bearings to go bad? (I guess in the trans he was talking about?) That it's like $600-700 or so to fix and not a big deal? Anyone have a similar experience or thoughts about this i'd much appriciate it. It's currently the most realistic DD I have so i'm going to continue to drive the thing unless someone posts something like "STOP! YOUR TRUCK WILL BLOW UP!" or such. I've got another week with the thing until it goes it for all its other parts and was hoping it's fine to drive on until then.

Thanks in advance.
~Rj - mechanical noob

Not enough info,

does it doing it sitting still?
with clutch in or out?
only when moving?
does the noise keep up with engine rpm?
does noise not increase with rpm?

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
Not enough info,

does it doing it sitting still?
with clutch in or out?
only when moving?
does the noise keep up with engine rpm?
does noise not increase with rpm?

hey Tony???? ya got a line on the up date by-pass valve????

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
I can check on it buddy, its an actual oem part right?

i was justa wonderin. Kevin is the only one i know of that offers them.

there was a Mopar part number etched on the valve i got. knew i should have writ it down:( can get it if need be, though

Yeah I have the same problem. I have no clue what it is. Mines whine when taking off. I have a 05 QC no major mods yet just magna flow with no rear cats and K&N CAI. It dosent do it everytime but every now and then it whines. I was a sucky situation and had to have the oil changed at a fireston dealer and they put 5w40 in my truck with their name brand oil filter. It didnt whine at first but its starting to whine again and i have no clue why.

Im no mechanic but did the whining stop as the vehicle stopped or did it continue even when stopped. i was thinking the rear end if it did stop once you were sitting still.

ram_vs_cougar said:
Yeah I have the same problem. I have no clue what it is. Mines whine when taking off. I have a 05 QC no major mods yet just magna flow with no rear cats and K&N CAI. It dosent do it everytime but every now and then it whines. I was a sucky situation and had to have the oil changed at a fireston dealer and they put 5w40 in my truck with their name brand oil filter. It didnt whine at first but its starting to whine again and i have no clue why.
You may want to start bringing your own oil filter. The Mopar oil filter from Wal-Mart is the best one.

10banger said:
You may want to start bringing your own oil filter. The Mopar oil filter from Wal-Mart is the best one.

Yeah the next time its time to change the oil i will go with the Mopar one. I have to investigate the problem more too. Seemed like this morning the whineing was still going when i put it in park but it wasnt loud at all. I gets loud when you first take off and then I cant hear it any more over a certain RPM or spee.

I have an 05 QC too, and mine does the same things a 'ram vs cougar.' Doesnt seem to be affecting performance but there is definitely the whining sound.

first check the belt and see if its slipping. alot of them are bad about slipping when they get wet. could be the whine your looking for. cheapest fix too. my advice is stick to what you know and find a trustworthy mechanic. start off with changing your own oil and go from there. lots of good info on here and you wont get made fun of too much...lol at least your trying to learn bro. i guess we take for granted what we know about automobiles. i had to build my first two vehicles.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back