whining noise (new)

evobuilder

Reaction score
so... this is new.
I went to start my truck yesterday and when cold.... I get a strong whine at start up. It is specific to engine RPM, not clutch, etc. It's pretty significant sounding.... but seems to lessen when the truck gets warm.

I read a post that referred to oil filters, but I have a hard time believing that. Also, why would it start now, but not be an issue in the past.

I just bought the truck 4 months ago with 85K miles on it (100% bone stock) and I have well kept service records of maintenance.

Any thoughts on what is going on would be greatly appreciated.

For $15 try a new white OEM Viper oil filter and see what happens, had the same thing and it WAS the filter, can't hurt........

My mother-in-law lives in Victoria......you could probably hear her whine from Seattle!:D:D

Change your oil filter!:)

white OEM viper oil filter? Do I need to go to Dodge to get one, can I get O'Reilly / Schucks or should I get a full oil change at the dealer?

Also... is this really the likely issue? I find it hard to believe that I had no noise... and all of the sudden, the oil filter issue has appeared. It just seems to be something I have never experienced since owning the truck (or any car honestly) and to have it appear out of no where just doesn't make mechanical logic.

Last edited:
hate to point it out but this truck for the $$$$ you spend on them problems come up Something new every time. But fun to drive

My mother-in-law lives in Victoria......you could probably hear her whine from Seattle!:D:D

Change your oil filter!:)

Actually I thought it was some Packer fan still whining but now I know..thanks for the heads up..;)

so... this is new.
I went to start my truck yesterday and when cold.... I get a strong whine at start up. It is specific to engine RPM, not clutch, etc. It's pretty significant sounding.... but seems to lessen when the truck gets warm.

I read a post that referred to oil filters, but I have a hard time believing that. Also, why would it start now, but not be an issue in the past.

I just bought the truck 4 months ago with 85K miles on it (100% bone stock) and I have well kept service records of maintenance.

Any thoughts on what is going on would be greatly appreciated.

ya got a build date on her???

white OEM viper oil filter? Do I need to go to Dodge to get one, can I get O'Reilly / Schucks or should I get a full oil change at the dealer?.

I know that you can buy the filters from Tony at JTSVP. You may also be able to get them from your local Dodge dealer - just make sure that they sell you the OEM spec one.

Also... is this really the likely issue? I find it hard to believe that I had no noise... and all of the sudden, the oil filter issue has appeared. It just seems to be something I have never experienced since owning the truck (or any car honestly) and to have it appear out of no where just doesn't make mechanical logic.

Is the truck parked outdoors or in a garage that is not temperature controlled? Oil viscosity changes with temperature and this time of year it is going to be on the thicker side when first starting up and will thin out after heating up.

I recently had the same, it was pulleys, tensioner etc. I did them all and the Harmonic balancer

thewelshm

Wal-Mart has our filters. Been using the Mopar filter MO-090 for the last 50,000 miles and had zero problems. Some here may remember me blowing out 2 filter, 1 that was a WIX and the other a FRAM. Again, VENOMOUS1 was the one that put me onto these filters. :rock:

I've been using the Amsoil EA042 filters [ this number may have been updated -- same as Viper ] and had zero issues for a lot of years now. Far, far better filtering than MOPAR spec.

--CC

holy crap did I overthink this!

decided to check my fluids..... and well.... power steering fluid was low :D

good news is... added fluid, noise is gone, bad news is.... thought I had a small oil cooler leak, looks like it is power steering related instead.

At least the noise issue has been resolved, now I need out where I am losing PS fluid.

P/S Lines and Oil cooler lines weep fluid over time, due to there design.
Pretty common knowledge around here.
Plan on replacing both.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back