WHO HAS CONVERTED TO E-85?

Octane does not generate power. It just retards detonation. Just so you know e85 also dissolves oil usually increasing internal friction in an engine. Last point is it is a stupid fuel taking more energy to create than it could ever yield. I am not sure if someone has done it to one of these engines yet.

One of thousands of reads... the article is now ten years old but...

E85 and Fuel Economy

(Don't forget to click on Numbers 1-7 near the bottom of the screen).

thanks, i read that article a long time ago, i used to own a 2011 h.o. 5.3l silverado crew cab with the 6pd auto and i have tried both fuels, i noticed the engine ran a little smoother with the e-85 for everyday driving people have dyno tested the difference between e85 and 91 in a flex fuel silverado and it would generally make 5-7 more whp with e-85, so if no one has done it to an srt-10, how would we know if it is better or not?:dontknow: i also wonder if it would be better for smog checks

thanks, i read that article a long time ago, i used to own a 2011 h.o. 5.3l silverado crew cab with the 6pd auto and i have tried both fuels, i noticed the engine ran a little smoother with the e-85 for everyday driving people have dyno tested the difference between e85 and 91 in a flex fuel silverado and it would generally make 5-7 more whp with e-85, so if no one has done it to an srt-10, how would we know if it is better or not?:dontknow: i also wonder if it would be better for smog checks

You should do the conversion and post the results.

https://youtu.be/t-o4rRaTNyI

all i can say is that in Germany most of the highly tuned engines run on E85.

But there we are talking about high boost no`s and small engine sizes with 4 or 6 cyl, not about 8 or 10 Cyl....

Nevertheless E85 helps to gain power, when it makes sense and when its tuned correctly....

Last edited:
E85 is good for boosted applications as mention earlier it is less prone to detonation like a higher octane fuel is BUT it cost pennies compared to what say 103+ race fuel would cost. In N/A application I dont see a reason for the stuff. Only vehicles I every seen run it a mostly turbo applications with high boost numbers like 30+ pounds. Some blower cars (Ford/GM/Mopar) have run it too. It works.

Only downside to it for boosted applications is your gas mileage is horrible, were use to getting 9 mpg's but anything that runs it rather its a boosted BRZ to a zl1 all end up near the single digits with it. So you burn fuel like no tomorrow, we have a big 26 gallon tanks, imagine if we only had like a 15 or 12 gallon tank. Your at the gas station every other day.

God I love the internet... You will with out a doubt LOOSE POWER converting to e85 with a n/a engine. The reason you can make more power in a boosted engine is you can turn the boost up due to the higher octane rating. Why do you think people are making more power on Vp's ms93? It's because is a motorsport fuel that doesn't contain the up to 10% ethanol that is required in your pump gas. If you want to make more power with e85 you need to increase the compression in your engine, it will only run you about 15k.

This goes right with people that say c-16 will increase power... it's just not true. They both allow you the potential to make more by increasing the cylinder pressure and heat needed to cause a detonation.

e85 also decreases fuel economy, because it make less power the engine needs more of it to maintain the same power output.

From a socioeconomic stand point it makes even less sense, you burn more fuel making it than it creates. It also caused a huge rise in the price of basic food products that led to major problems around the world. Making ethanol from corn is plain dumb, in brazil they do it with sugarcane.

God I love the internet... You will with out a doubt LOOSE POWER converting to e85 with a n/a engine. The reason you can make more power in a boosted engine is you can turn the boost up due to the higher octane rating. Why do you think people are making more power on Vp's ms93? It's because is a motorsport fuel that doesn't contain the up to 10% ethanol that is required in your pump gas. If you want to make more power with e85 you need to increase the compression in your engine, it will only run you about 15k.

This goes right with people that say c-16 will increase power... it's just not true. They both allow you the potential to make more by increasing the cylinder pressure and heat needed to cause a detonation.

e85 also decreases fuel economy, because it make less power the engine needs more of it to maintain the same power output.

From a socioeconomic stand point it makes even less sense, you burn more fuel making it than it creates. It also caused a huge rise in the price of basic food products that led to major problems around the world. Making ethanol from corn is plain dumb, in brazil they do it with sugarcane.

GOOD INFO BROTHER

E85 takes about 1.5 gallons to equate the BTU value of 1 gallon of good old gasoline. So unless your E85 is 2/3 of the cost of gas, you are losing money. You will consume your tank 50% faster. I've never seen the cost at this ratio, and people that are "saving $0.20/gal on E85" are clueless of the INCREASED cost to them. But then again, most of these people speak in "payments" not total cost. "I got me a used Montee Car-low, they wanted $2500 but I git it for only $100/month for 60 months."

However, I can't speak to the potential performance gains.

E85 takes about 1.5 gallons to equate the BTU value of 1 gallon of good old gasoline. So unless your E85 is 2/3 of the cost of gas, you are losing money. You will consume your tank 50% faster. I've never seen the cost at this ratio, and people that are "saving $0.20/gal on E85" are clueless of the INCREASED cost to them. But then again, most of these people speak in "payments" not total cost. "I got me a used Montee Car-low, they wanted $2500 but I git it for only $100/month for 60 months."

However, I can't speak to the potential performance gains.

I DID THE MATH WITH MY SILVERADO, YOUR ACTUALLY SPENDING AROUND THE SAME BUT YOU HAVE A HIGHER OCTANE RATING AND MAYBE BETTER RELIABILITY FROM THE HIGHER OCTANE. I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT HAVING TO KEEP FILLING UP I JUST WANTED SOME BETTER FUEL PERFORMANCE FOR MY ENGINE. SORRY FOR YELLING :chain:

10% ethanol

I have been going to local Marina and paying more for premium that
allegedly has no ethanol in it. you can find by google or yelp.

We are now having the option at the pump for non ethanol unleaded. (Again) newer pumps have a separate nozzle and octanes in one pump. So now there's diesel, E85, 10-15% Ethanol 87,89, 93
And now 87,89,93 "Ethanol Free" grades. :dontknow:
Me, 93 octane for 8 years and 155k without ever going inside the engine or failing a head gasket. Ran 12.1@112 on 93 octane Ethanol mix crap gasoline.
Stoich ratio is +/- 9.85:1 depending on ACTUAL ETHANOL CONTENT. Gasoline is 14.7:1. You have to consume an assload of E85 compared to gasoline. Bigger injectors, fuel lines, tuning and as said you'll gain nothing. Max timing on our engines with 93 doesn't even budge with 109 unleaded.whats that tell us? On a bolt on engine anyways, there's no need for higher octane. Now......bump the compression more and the need for a higher octane does exist or you'll retard timing and lose potential power.

We are now having the option at the pump for non ethanol unleaded. (Again) newer pumps have a separate nozzle and octanes in one pump. So now there's diesel, E85, 10-15% Ethanol 87,89, 93
And now 87,89,93 "Ethanol Free" grades. :dontknow:
Me, 93 octane for 8 years and 155k without ever going inside the engine or failing a head gasket. Ran 12.1@112 on 93 octane Ethanol mix crap gasoline.
Stoich ratio is +/- 9.85:1 depending on ACTUAL ETHANOL CONTENT. Gasoline is 14.7:1. You have to consume an assload of E85 compared to gasoline. Bigger injectors, fuel lines, tuning and as said you'll gain nothing. Max timing on our engines with 93 doesn't even budge with 109 unleaded.whats that tell us? On a bolt on engine anyways, there's no need for higher octane. Now......bump the compression more and the need for a higher octane does exist or you'll retard timing and lose potential power.

GREAT INFO...

E85

If we are thinking about e85 in a viper maybe the cost of fuel is a burden look for a chevy or something. These trucks were built for performance and we in the USA should be grateful because gas is cheaper here than in Europe were its sold in liters. Bottomline, performance and speed cost money.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back