Who owns a sandrail?

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I think I am going to get a sandrail at the start of the year. I will be using it as a daily driver with the truck as a weekend vehicle. Less wear and tear on the truck that way. (considering I have already put over 10k miles on it in the few months I have had it) I used to have a CBR and loved it as my daily driver but as a single father of two boys, it makes it kind of difficult to be a rider again. I figure a sandrail is a good alternative to a bike. Same affect but a little safer and has 4 seats. I live in Arizona so rain/poor weather is not a real concern. Plus I really miss enjoying the truck trails like my boys and I used to do with my 4X4 QC Hemi Ram. Just wondering, since I have never owned one, what I should be looking for? Wanting to spend less than $4000 and has to be able to be street legal and has to be a 4 seater. Found quite a few on CL around here. Feel free to post pics! Any guidance/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

:rock::rock:

Another reason i want to move to AZ lol. Everytime i come out and visit my buddies we ride quads around mesa/gilbert area

Nope, sold it too :D

Started out with this

DSC00052.jpg

then alot of parts

903537cd.jpg

4c08436a.jpg

That being said, 4k isn't going to buy much, especially in a 4 seater.
They are easy to work on, parts can be cheap but add up quick.
I wouldn't use one for a daily driver. Just to rough, hard to get in and out of, crap is always flying at you and always seems to make it past the windshield. Also, you will always have a smart ass kid steal a spark plug wire or the distributor cap. Keep spares. :p

Only thing I didn't like about mine was I had to work on it constantly. If I did another I wouldnt want a VW engine I think Ford 2.3L swaps are pretty common. Since buggies are more popular where you live you may have more options when it comes to engines, i had one almost excatly like wes.

honda/acura bseries engines are very common now too. Super cheap and reliable. get a integra b18 GSR motor and add a smalll turbo kit and make over 500hp easy.

Nah, get you a 1300 hayabusa. 2002 or newer. They fixed the starter on them. 200-215 hp 9k rpm on a 900 lb buggy?..... Thats like having a 1200 hp truck

Nah, get you a 1300 hayabusa. 2002 or newer. They fixed the starter on them. 200-215 hp 9k rpm on a 900 lb buggy?..... Thats like having a 1200 hp truck

The starter on my 03 wasn't worth a crap. Left me push starting it several times. :dontknow:

Think my buggy was more like 1200lbs, I like the Honda idea just with no turbo, simple is good when you're in the middle of no where. Mine spent a few hours at the bottom of a fish tank once.

Thanks all for the great input....Wes...you had a nice looking rail. I don't expect to get much for what I have to spare but I have found a few 4 seaters in my price range that look decent. I actually have a twin 16g turbo forged 3.0 V6 sitting in my garage. Plus the AWD tranny from the stealth it came from....hmmmm....lol. The stealth was expected to put out about 700awhp on E85. That would be a fun motor to have in a rail.

I was at the point on mine where I replaced the engine, gauges, lights, mirrors, brakes, rims, tires, seats, seat belts, front beam, steering.. you name it. I basically had an old frame with new parts.
I was looking at getting a new frame. Finally said screw it and put it up for sale.

I was at the point on mine where I replaced the engine, gauges, lights, mirrors, brakes, rims, tires, seats, seat belts, front beam, steering.. you name it. I basically had an old frame with new parts.
I was looking at getting a new frame. Finally said screw it and put it up for sale.

Haha....I bet it is tempting. I will just street mine out. Stiffer suspension, wider tires, etc.

Not sure I would do the wide tires again. Looks cool, but throws stuff everywhere.

Know somebody with two of them for sale Kyle, sent him a text and I'll send you the pics.

He still has both of them, I was gonna buy one of them myself, one has a turbo I believe, send me your email Kyle.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back