Why not to use the dealership

sparksftball69

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had been having problems with a 1-2-1-2 shift with my 05 qc. I replaced the solenoid and installed a transgo kit thinking it would fix it in some way. Once I got everything in it seemed to help a bit but wanted to make sure the bands were adjusted right (they were) the kit was installed right (it was) and that the TV cable was adjusted correctly (?). So I took it to the local dodge dealership where the viper tech is also the transmission guy (needs to be re-certified for sure). The first time I bring it in it came back with a worst 1-2-1-2 shift and a slight hang from 2-3 but didnt bounce off the rev limiter. The second time I go in i explain and take the "viper tech" tranny guy with me to show him. I go through the parking lot and this bitch is bucking like a bronco almost like someone trying to learn to drive a stick. I get it on the access road and WOT to show the 2-3 hang. So I bug them for 2 days finally get them to say its good to come check it out and to feel that the 2-3 is gone along with the 1-2-1-2 problem. I get in...the 1-2-1-2 hasnt changed but now it bounces off the rev limiter from 1-2, hangs in third and does a 2-3-2-3 shift sometimes at light throttle and also will hold 2nd until about 3k on light throttles as well at other times. I take it back in they pull the VB and say nothings wrong with the kit again and that it could be the Gov Solenoid of the Sensor. I asked them how to determine which it is and that I installed a new Gov Solenoid with the Transgo kit (two weeks ago). they say its hit an miss with what it is and that the sensor is giving a reading (pressure) but they dont know what it supposed to be. Bottom line they say since they cant pin point a small part that could be wrong that they want me to buy a new valve body. heres the kicker though. They want to charge me about 400 for work they couldn't fix, pin point, give an answer on where to go next, or even where to start and tell me that if i shift it manually it wont do it. My think is this...if i shift it manually and it doesnt do it...how is that the valve body itself? Wouldn't that be a sensor! And to top it off a new valve body through the dealership is only 70 more then all the work. FML. I'm going to suncoast for a Valve Body. I refused to pay and they brought out the shop manager and then the service manager...all costs were dropped other than fluid. Oh one more. Now my trans pan is leading and you can see where one of the bolts was tightened to tight. Guarantee they over tightened and cracked my gasket.

Thats horrible!! Just goes to show you, just cuz he is a "viper tech", doesnt mean they can be trusted puttin their greasy hands all over your pride and joy.

this is why i'll never go back. When i was working on it it wasn't running bad at all. just a light 1-2-1-1. Took it there and ended up with 2-3 problems..

Soory to hear that. I cant complain about my viper tech he's done right so far.

hey man you might try taking it to Mace-o-matic transmissions in belton, he's high but he knows his shit

I think I'm going to just go with the suncoast Valve body. Might as well i'll go to it eventually anyway. I know once the time comes i'll be ordering y transmission through them.

I am not sure the dealer could have helped much to begin with. The trans was modified with the solenoid and shift kit. I doubt the diagnostic tools or troubleshooting matrices the dealer uses would have been much use as other than stock or factory set parameters were introduced to the trans via the other solenoid and shift kit. I'd try and find a reputable and knowledgeable trans shop locally who has experience with the trans and the mods done. Try giving JTSVP (Tony) a ring. He should be able help out to. Best of luck with sorting out this issue.

Back