Wish me luck.

SrtBrad

Michel Productions
Reaction score
I got voted on as coach for my son's basketball team after the coach quit for personal reasons.

The problem is that I have no idea what I'm doing with basketball. I don't even know the basic rules. Today is our first practice and this Saturday is our first game with me as coach. Any members out there have any advise?

Wish me luck:

MavericsMarch12008001b.jpg

I coached Tball and Flag Football. Just make sure you make it fun for these guys, at their age that is all that really matters. Give them a good concept of sportsmanship and teamwork and you will do just fine.

"Just make sure you make it fun for these guys, at their age that is all that really matters. Give them a good concept of sportsmanship and teamwork and you will do just fine."

When my son was young,he decided he wanted to play soccer,but they were lacking coaches !! So my wife got a book on soccer from the library,and volunteered.She adopted that exact philosophy,and her team went undefeated in the regular season (much to the dissatisfaction of the JOE JOCK soccer Dads) !!!! They could not handle the fact that THEIR team got beat by a woman !!!!! I never laughed so loud !!!!Make it fun,that's what really matters !!!

1: have em do layups (both sides)
2: make sure they're shooting properlyl.. one hand under one hand on the side for balance...etc...
3: work out some basic plays... the weave... maybe some setting up of picks... the basics... keep it real simple at that age
4: work out basic defense strategy... again keep it simple... most likely man on man... teach them how to hit the boards on D
5: make em run suicide sprints :D (that's foul line back... mid court back ... other fouline back... baseline back.) hahah
6: just have fun yo... as everyone else said... that's all that matters
At that age the most common infractions are:
double dribbling: that's stopping the dribble then dribbling again
travelling: that's walking with the ball
clock violations: you probably need to cross half court in 10 seconds and shoot the ball in 15? <I really don't know the times ask the ref>

there's lots of others but at that age .. those are prolly the most common...

oh and tell the kids NO DUNKING... :D

good luck Brad

SrtBrad said:
I got voted on as coach for my son's basketball team after the coach quit for personal reasons.

The problem is that I have no idea what I'm doing with basketball. I don't even know the basic rules. Today is our first practice and this Saturday is our first game with me as coach. Any members out there have any advise?

Wish me luck:

it looks like you were photoshopped to be in this pic:D sorry son cant make pics but i will put my self in later dont worry about it lol:D

505'sFastestViper. said:
it looks like you were photoshopped to be in this pic:D sorry son cant make pics but i will put my self in later dont worry about it lol:D

Looks like #10 is swinging on his junk !!

First thing have them throw away the Clipper jersey's and buy them Laker purple and gold jersey's.

Thanks for all the advise. It looks like the league found a replacement coach that has experience in basketball. It was fun today and I think I could have been a good coach but I think this is better for the kids to have an experienced coach.

SrtBrad said:

Wish me luck:

Brad, I'll wish you luck, but somehow I know you're not gonna need it...you'll do just fine...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back