Wrecked '08 Viper

slow91 said:
All but one of these 08 vipers below were wrecked by the dealer before they were purchased....

8V200327-4sm.jpg

1viper_20080305_005.jpg

l_60183e3db894bbc77993e9ce6eba22cb.

Viperpics2.jpg

Viperpics3.jpg

IMG_7073_VCA.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

= More Viper sales

Was speaking with the owner of an exotic car repair facility and he said that the stats on the '08 are scary...Dodge is saying that 30% of the '08's are being wrecked in the first 30 days of ownership...

Prof said:
Was speaking with the owner of an exotic car repair facility and he said that the stats on the '08 are scary...Dodge is saying that 30% of the '08's are being wrecked in the first 30 days of ownership...

I can see an ad now, 2008 Dodge Viper, One owner, only 37.5 miles,

"NEVER BEEN WRECKED"!

supercar1of1 said:

I can see an ad now, 2008 Dodge Viper, One owner, only 37.5 miles,

"NEVER BEEN WRECKED"!

But drivers seat needs to be replaced due to stainage.

Prof said:

WOW! :confused: That is pretty amazing. :(

BurntRubber said:
dont know a viper owner who hasn't

Having owned on of the most powerful vipers built....I can tell you it is all the suspension and tires that will keep the car under control......I did several 2-3-4 straight line boost pulls from 40-180mph and the car never wanted break around.....it would spin the tires but would not snap around.....this car had double the RWHP that a 08 stock viper has.

Note: I would never do a boost pull while going around a corner that will get you in trouble.

Suspension + Tires will help keep the back end where it should be.

Walt

I was at a SRT Track Experience in Fontana, CA last Fall and one of the instructors said that 1 in 4 Vipers are involved in an accident from the time they leave the stealership to the time the owner (tries) to get it home. Seems hard to believe.

Walt is so correct.

While I have never driven a vehicle with the power he has...I have learned great respect for the power I have and it is not a stretch to say that I fear it and am always mindful of the possible consequences of loss of traction.

Prof said:
Walt is so correct.

While I have never driven a vehicle with the power he has...I have learned great respect for the power I have and it is not a stretch to say that I fear it and am always mindful of the possible consequences of loss of traction.

Now Roy, how do you lose traction with the worlds fastest 14 sec. SRT-10 ????:D :D

At my age I fear everything...mostly loss of regular bowel movements...

And it is wonderful to be the only claimant to 14 second dominance...

K-80-123 said:
Having owned on of the most powerful vipers built....I can tell you it is all the suspension and tires that will keep the car under control......I did several 2-3-4 straight line boost pulls from 40-180mph and the car never wanted break around.....it would spin the tires but would not snap around.....this car had double the RWHP that a 08 stock viper has.

Note: I would never do a boost pull while going around a corner that will get you in trouble.

Suspension + Tires will help keep the back end where it should be.

Walt

yep...now I just need to find someone to pay for my new...tires, rearend, suspension

BurntRubber said:
yep...now I just need to find someone to pay for my new...tires, rearend, suspension

Rich girl friend...is my suggestion...;)

Prof said:
At my age I fear everything...mostly loss of regular bowel movements...

And it is wonderful to be the only claimant to 14 second dominance...

I thought I was the only member with irregularity problems:D :D :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm going to have to disagree that 15% have been in accidents... I'm more likely inclined to say 15% have been totaled (and it's probably higher)...

Blah blah it's a drivers car guess what so is a Turbo.. and so is a Z06... problem is most people aren't excellent drivers so Porsche and Chevy have given the drivers the option of Traction Control. In my opinion Dodge has been negligent in this and shows no regard for human life..

Oh sure here it comes... I can hear it now " but Ryan... if they can't drive they're sucky noobs and shoulda known better" ... and while I won't disagree with that claim you're right they shoulda known better and could be noob drivers ... I'll also argue that producing a vehicle with as much power as the viper (designed to be driven on the streets where it rains.. could have potholes... could have a pedestrian cross your path) etc... puts the driver and everyone around the vehicle at risk...

Didn't dodge not put ABS on these cars at some point and later were forced too do to safety issues??

I know some of you have heard me go on about this rant before, I just can't imagine why some idiot at dodge decided to not put T/A in this vehicle (with the possibility to turn it on/off) why??? oh why?? to save a few dollars?? for a common sense safety feature?? please...

Lastly,
I usually conclude my rants with some examples other than just saying Corvette... Porsche Turbo etc.... so I picked a car that I believe most will agree would give an 08 stock dodge viper a run for it's money...

the 2007 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano... why did I pick this ferrari?, for a few reasons, but mostly due to it's front engine characteristics size of the engine and weight comparison. does it have traction control?? of COURSE it does... it's called the F1-trac...

found a link to this vehicle: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=114909

are you guys really going to try and convince me that this isn't a 'drivers car' because it has traction control as a feature...

:p please.... I've never agreed with dodge's staunch approach to this subject.... I'm also suprised they've never been sued for damages due to negligence...

this is just one of many reasons I won't and never will own a dodge viper :p ... they sure are pretty tho /... i'll concede that :>

tidnab said:
I'm going to have to disagree that 15% have been in accidents... I'm more likely inclined to say 15% have been totaled (and it's probably higher)...

Blah blah it's a drivers car guess what so is a Turbo.. and so is a Z06... problem is most people aren't excellent drivers so Porsche and Chevy have given the drivers the option of Traction Control. In my opinion Dodge has been negligent in this and shows no regard for human life..

Oh sure here it comes... I can hear it now " but Ryan... if they can't drive they're sucky noobs and shoulda known better" ... and while I won't disagree with that claim you're right they shoulda known better and could be noob drivers ... I'll also argue that producing a vehicle with as much power as the viper (designed to be driven on the streets where it rains.. could have potholes... could have a pedestrian cross your path) etc... puts the driver and everyone around the vehicle at risk...

Didn't dodge not put ABS on these cars at some point and later were forced too do to safety issues??

I know some of you have heard me go on about this rant before, I just can't imagine why some idiot at dodge decided to not put T/A in this vehicle (with the possibility to turn it on/off) why??? oh why?? to save a few dollars?? for a common sense safety feature?? please...

Lastly,
I usually conclude my rants with some examples other than just saying Corvette... Porsche Turbo etc.... so I picked a car that I believe most will agree would give an 08 stock dodge viper a run for it's money...

the 2007 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano... why did I pick this ferrari?, for a few reasons, but mostly due to it's front engine characteristics size of the engine and weight comparison. does it have traction control?? of COURSE it does... it's called the F1-trac...

found a link to this vehicle: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=114909

are you guys really going to try and convince me that this isn't a 'drivers car' because it has traction control as a feature...

:p please.... I've never agreed with dodge's staunch approach to this subject.... I'm also suprised they've never been sued for damages due to negligence...

this is just one of many reasons I won't and never will own a dodge viper :p ... they sure are pretty tho /... i'll concede that :>

I agree with what you say, but the viper is made to appeal to a specific market. they have tried to refine it to make it more appealing to more people but it is a "drivers car"...when you dont have ABS, TC, cup holders, luggage space...you are buying a "drivers car"...

And I would also say Dodge made a $90k car that would give a $300k Ferrari a run for its money.

When they designed it in 92 it was meant to be a throw back to the muscle car era...maybe it is that a newer generation of people dont know how to drive...I dont know I wasnt around in the 60's to drive those cars everyday

Unfortunately that 'specific market' in which you speak of are not always experienced drivers and in my opinion should deserve the option to have traction control (On/Off) as an option to help them understand their limits...

This seems like common sense to me, too many of these wind up in telephone poles /trees etc... due to a fairly inexpensive piece of equipment that could have likely avoided the accident in the first place.

By your argument it's like saying... NFL players shouldn't have to wear helmets... they're big boys... they're professionals... they should be able to take a hit... and if they get hurt... well... that's their fault... come on ... this is defiant negligence...

I understand about comparing it to the ferrari... the main point was a ferrari IS a drivers car... just ask shoemaker :p... and you know I'll point you back to a corvette... which does have traction control (of course)...

I'll agree with you in that I've always considered the Viper a cross between a muscle car and a roadster.... they're fun... they have their place.... that's great... they're also dangerous in the wrong hands... why? due to negligence, stupidity or most likely arrogance on dodge's part....

anyway... I won't keep argueing aboot it... I got my 4 cents in :D

p.s. I've looked at some of the NASCAR rules/safety guidlines... having to do with the smallest thing like size of steering wheel... safety is a concern there... and those are pros driving.... I would think safety should be a concern with a ~3,500 lb 600+ horsepower car driving on the streets of the US...

Last edited:
All Good points....

But keep in mind people are doing the samething everyday in cobalts and neons.....

and, no one gives a crap because its a cheap car

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back