WTHECK!!

Larry Macedo assured me the #3 hole failure is a fairly common problem for Gen-3 engines, even with NA stock setups. According to Larry, Gen-2 motors did not have this problem, one reason was the forged pistons, the other was better lubrication. He showed me a Gen-3 engine with a destroyed #3 piston and scored #3 crank journal bearing. He fumes at the factory's decision to go cheap on the Gen-3 to save a few bucks, I really don't get it either, what kind of screwed up upper management deccision is that? Make the hood out of plastic if you have to save money, but don't screw with a perfectly good engine to save a few bucks, for Pete's sake.

As most of you know Larry worked for John Hennessy for years before he opened his own shop, he builds a truly bulletproof engine... as soon as I can come up with the extra cash I'm doing it! The fact that his shop is 1 hour from my house makes it extra nice.

Two motors in two days. That's what I seem to gather lately around here and this is not good. This whole delemma is especially scary for me because everytime I hop into the cockpit of #1900, I never THINK that #3 will fail on me for whatever reason. If Chrysler eff'ed up by installing weak parts that truly sucks. Shame on upper management for being penny smart and dollar foolish. No woner they make it especially hard for them to cover a warranty. But we bought into the issue so what else is there to do? :confused: Wait for the ticking clock to count down? That wouldn't be too wise from a financial standpoint.

I wouldn't mind dealing with the problem before it's too late. Forged internals seem to be the way to go. But from what I am seeing the nearest place to get mine done in regards to where I live would be the shop of the dreaded "H" name. In that case loading my Mossberg and offing the motor at close range myself would probably be the same thing as sending it to that infamous shop. Too bad his talents aren't consistantly used to do good for all and not just a chosen few.

This makes me feel better about babying my truck but sometimes I just want to let loose. :dontknow: Are there any other places in TX that can effectively install forged internals in the Gen III motor??

I would just like to hear a clear answer on what to do to correct this issue........

Ok forged aftermarket connecting rods- check
forged aftermarket pistons- check
coated bearings- check

now what else?????

HaulinAsp said:
I would just like to hear a clear answer on what to do to correct this issue........

Ok forged aftermarket connecting rods- check
forged aftermarket pistons- check
coated bearings- check

now what else?????

I am of the opinion that simply adding stronger parts when there is a design

flaw will only delay an unnecessary failure.

My vote is that we collect as many documented cases as possible and

proceed with a good faith proposal to Dodge to correct the problem;

and if they refuse,......class action time!:mad:

Oiling issues may be part of the cause, but other than brats motor I think every blown motor has been a RC. Most of them(all that I can find) have raised rev limiters via either the sct or some other tune. Add one missed shift, i.e. 2nd back to first, rpms in the 7,000+ range instantly...

...look at all the pictures that have been posted, the #3 rod (and normaly another one or two) are bent and/or stretched, yes the #3 rod has oiling problems, but it seems only to affect higher rpm motors...

Is there a fix to get more oil there? That first and then spend the high $ for tthe beefed up parts.

BigRed460 said:
Oiling issues may be part of the cause, but other than brats motor I think every blown motor has been a RC. Most of them(all that I can find) have raised rev limiters via either the sct or some other tune. Add one missed shift, i.e. 2nd back to first, rpms in the 7,000+ range instantly...

...look at all the pictures that have been posted, the #3 rod (and normaly another one or two) are bent and/or stretched, yes the #3 rod has oiling problems, but it seems only to affect higher rpm motors...

(flyinglow's) motor blew and he has a QC but that was a STS kit:D Also it's not always rpm's that blow the motor;) Mine wasn't turning but about 3500rpm's when it tossed it's cookies:( I believe (correct me if I'm wrong somebody) that alot of times they go at peak torque:dontknow: With my roe setup it comes on strong at 3500rpm's and that's where it let go on me:(

Mine is an 05QC with just bolt ons and meth injection. I spun the #3 rod at 5500 rpm under deceleration from 6000 rpm pull. The rev limiter was set to 6K and the engine management system was controlled by the Vec3. The engine had over 40 000 hard miles on her with over 200 passes at the track.

Stupid Questions:

1. There was an oil viscosity change made between '04 and '05. Does this have any bearing (pun) plus or minus. Was this a bandaid applied by Dodge?

2. What in your opinions would be better? A thicker oil 5W-40 or the 0W-40 or viscosity has no affect on the #3 problem. Just wondering if anyone has thought about or explored this avenue.

3. What viscosity oil were you running when #3 went kabluey?

Last edited:
kyle's srt10 said:
(flyinglow's) motor blew and he has a QC but that was a STS kit:D Also it's not always rpm's that blow the motor;) Mine wasn't turning but about 3500rpm's when it tossed it's cookies:( I believe (correct me if I'm wrong somebody) that alot of times they go at peak torque:dontknow: With my roe setup it comes on strong at 3500rpm's and that's where it let go on me:(

No, it is not tq that is the problem, otherwise other engines would not be

able to make the crazy, RELIABLE, power they are making with stock bottom

ends.

Another thought just occured to me is that a defective/improperly tuned damper can supposedly cause

this problem.

Anyone else have a comment on this?

Last edited:
cobraken said:
Is there a fix to get more oil there? That first and then spend the high $ for tthe beefed up parts.

In my build I am paying for about $350 for machine work on the oil grooves in the block...it needs to be done when the engine is apart (rods, pistons and crank out).

I think you will find that most builders do this routinely in the rebuild process when dealing with our Gen III blocks.

BigRed460 said:

I have read that gear rotor oil pumps cavitate above 5000 rpm, if this is true, it certainly does not help the problem.

Venom Power said:
Two motors in two days. That's what I seem to gather lately around here and this is not good. This whole delemma is especially scary for me because everytime I hop into the cockpit of #1900, I never THINK that #3 will fail on me for whatever reason. If Chrysler eff'ed up by installing weak parts that truly sucks. Shame on upper management for being penny smart and dollar foolish. No woner they make it especially hard for them to cover a warranty. But we bought into the issue so what else is there to do? :confused: Wait for the ticking clock to count down? That wouldn't be too wise from a financial standpoint.

I wouldn't mind dealing with the problem before it's too late. Forged internals seem to be the way to go. But from what I am seeing the nearest place to get mine done in regards to where I live would be the shop of the dreaded "H" name. In that case loading my Mossberg and offing the motor at close range myself would probably be the same thing as sending it to that infamous shop. Too bad his talents aren't consistantly used to do good for all and not just a chosen few.

This makes me feel better about babying my truck but sometimes I just want to let loose. :dontknow: Are there any other places in TX that can effectively install forged internals in the Gen III motor??

http://www.americanracingtech.com/index.html

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back