X-Metal Gen 4 Shifter gripes and issues

OsirruZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I recently installed my Gen 4 shifter. As I was inspecting it after opening the box, I was thinking to myself this is a beautiful piece of work. :rock:

I took the time to do the "BeGood noise solution fix" to keep it nice and quiet since I've heard it was so loud. Went to a local window shop and picked up exactly what he recommended.

Installation went well, took me about 30 minutes start to finish to get the stock piece out and X-Metal in. Once it was in place I loved how it felt, firm and precise. The small "pivoting" of the shift lever didnt bother me what so ever.

So I put everything back together to go out for a test drive. While I was playing with it I never thought to try and get it into reverse since everything else was dead on. Well, sure enough, no reverse.:confused: OK, so I pulled it back out to try and figure out what was going on.

If you compare the pivot ball on the very bottom of each shifter you'll notice the X-metal is almost 1" longer than the stocker. After enough confusion and cursing we came to the conclusion the pivot ball was bottoming out in the transmission (which generated a LOT OF NOISE despite the noise solution fix). We tried a few things to try and correct it, spacers, plates and even ripped the entire shifter mechanism apart. Before it was all said and done we ended up grinding down the bottom of the pivot ball almost an 1/8 of an inch.

That helped out a lot. From that point on I was able to get into reverse but it's still a fight. So now I have a truck I can drive and I was excited to go try it out in action. One other thing to note, once we ground down the bottom of the pivot ball and it wasn't bottoming out anymore, it's now quiet, very quiet.:)

Right now I can say I am disappointed.:( The shifting of the X-metal is precise, very precise. The thing Im disappointed with now is, Im missing 2nd gear. Maybe 1 out of 10 times i would miss 3rd gear with the stocker, but never 2nd. Ive noticed if I lift to shift with the X-metal it'll work great, but, I dont want to lift to shift!!! I don't know. Maybe I just dont have enough seat time with it. Ill give it another week or so, if I cant get this thing sorted out by then Im going back to the stocker.

I don't have a Gen IV, I have a Gen I and I have not had any problems other than the noise which I fixed. But I remember some people talking about how they had shifting problems, and they fixed it by loosening the 4 bolts that hold the shifter to the transmission. Then shift in 3rd very firmly a few times, then retighten bolts.

You might want to try that.

Bill.

Yes, missing second has been reported in the past. Also, popping out of second being an issue. I havent had that problem in a long time, I believe its exacerbated by the stock master/slave.

I have trouble with reverse from time to time...will have to try grinding down the ball as you mention.

Nice little review/insight, thanks. I have a Gen-X and it's quite loud, very loud in fact. It sounds like a SC whine but closer and more "mechanical". All my interior is out of the truck so I will look at doing the "BeGood" fix, fingers crossed that helps. You're one of the first to respond about it working, no one else has come forward with the BeGood results. Does anyone know if the Gen-X is the same length, like, will the pivot ball be hitting my trans or?

Thanks,
Carl

OsirruZ said:
So I recently installed my Gen 4 shifter. As I was inspecting it after opening the box, I was thinking to myself this is a beautiful piece of work. :rock:

I took the time to do the "BeGood noise solution fix" to keep it nice and quiet since I've heard it was so loud. Went to a local window shop and picked up exactly what he recommended.

Installation went well, took me about 30 minutes start to finish to get the stock piece out and X-Metal in. Once it was in place I loved how it felt, firm and precise. The small "pivoting" of the shift lever didnt bother me what so ever.

So I put everything back together to go out for a test drive. While I was playing with it I never thought to try and get it into reverse since everything else was dead on. Well, sure enough, no reverse.:confused: OK, so I pulled it back out to try and figure out what was going on.

If you compare the pivot ball on the very bottom of each shifter you'll notice the X-metal is almost 1" longer than the stocker. After enough confusion and cursing we came to the conclusion the pivot ball was bottoming out in the transmission (which generated a LOT OF NOISE despite the noise solution fix). We tried a few things to try and correct it, spacers, plates and even ripped the entire shifter mechanism apart. Before it was all said and done we ended up grinding down the bottom of the pivot ball almost an 1/8 of an inch.

That helped out a lot. From that point on I was able to get into reverse but it's still a fight. So now I have a truck I can drive and I was excited to go try it out in action. One other thing to note, once we ground down the bottom of the pivot ball and it wasn't bottoming out anymore, it's now quiet, very quiet.:)

Right now I can say I am disappointed.:( The shifting of the X-metal is precise, very precise. The thing Im disappointed with now is, Im missing 2nd gear. Maybe 1 out of 10 times i would miss 3rd gear with the stocker, but never 2nd. Ive noticed if I lift to shift with the X-metal it'll work great, but, I dont want to lift to shift!!! I don't know. Maybe I just dont have enough seat time with it. Ill give it another week or so, if I cant get this thing sorted out by then Im going back to the stocker.

i have a gen IV and i dig it, i actually mounted the factory hurst lever on it and made it a super shorty (in height). TRY THIS...i heard rumors if you loosen the bolts just a little, and go through the motions of the gears, and then tighten them again, that makes the shifter "sit" better. dont know if it is true but worth a shot. i never, and mean never have missed second gear:rock: tinker with it, don't give it up, its a bitchen piece of machinery:D

I have the IV and never any problems other than loud....I put a solid alum pistol grip on it and the noise went down considerably......I have yet to miss any gear with it.........I had the B&M and would say they are comparable IMO...

My Gen-X is an awesome shifter, haven't missed any gears going slow or fast at any rpm and the twist isn't even noticeable to me, sure I can feel it while stationary but when driving it does what it was designed to do - aid you into gears. Only quirk I have is myself and others who have driven it have missed getting it into Reverse, goes into some twilight zone, never-region of it's own between 5th and Reverse, only occasionally, getting use to it now though. Just the noise is my only "issue" if I had one but the cat less Billy Boat system takes care of that. :D :D :D Hopefully BeGoods fix works.......

Stagethree said:
I have the GenX and love it.:congrats:

Noise? ;) How does a shifter make noise?

That's the trans!:D
:laugh: I should have said the shifter is like a girlfriend/wife - it over exaggerates the problem. ;) :D

get the b&m...very dead on, adjustable, never popped outta gear even I finished out my stock clutch to 43k miles...Also little to no noise depending on temp....

Note....there is a plastic cup that pivot ball of the shifter goes into...check to see that it is still there and not cracked or broken

Stagethree said:
I have the GenX and love it.:congrats:

Noise? ;) How does a shifter make noise?

That's the trans!:D
What he said.........:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Quick

Had a Gen X in my truck for 4 months, removed in and put the B&M back in. Personally I like the B&M better.

Complaining you miss 2nd? How about when i missed 3rd and hit 5th every time while racing a red lightning

damn i cant drive for sh**:rock:

RagunCajun said:
Complaining you miss 2nd? How about when i missed 3rd and hit 5th every time while racing a red lightning

damn i cant drive for sh**:rock:
Are quoting Tommy James song Draggin the line in your sig?

Bill.

I hope you 2 don't start singing to each other.

Well, Srth drove the truck last night. He thought it was user error. I giggled aloud when he kept missing second.

Although I am getting better at shifting it, I still have to lift off the gas to shift. Im quickly losing patience as to how hard it is to get in reverse. When I come back in from offshore Im going to pull it out and see if I can manipulate it anymore. I have the feeling it's about to become a garage wall ornament.

I have the Gen II with a twist.. I don't have issues other than the noise that I am afraid to ask Bill for his BeGood solution for again.. One of these days I'll just send my shifter to him to eliminate the infamous noise.. What say you Bill?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back