X-Metal Generation IV Shifter Review / Ratings !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn it!! I coulda bought one if my g/f didnt talk me into going to the Carribean, on a Windjammer cruise...all that damn sun and alcohol..crap..lol
Gary, do you have a "buy now,pay someday" program?..lol..What do you use for CAD?..just curious..

I can't wait for my package!!!!! Red i see you rated install/instructions a 6....is there any tricky parts to the install or is it a breeze!? Gotta be easier than installing headers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rice Eater said:
I can't wait for my package!!!!! Red i see you rated install/instructions a 6....is there any tricky parts to the install or is it a breeze!? Gotta be easier than installing headers!

The reason for the low score in the Install / Instruction category, is due to the lack of installation material that is included (there was non :) ), now possibly at a later time there might be, but as of right now, you have to install "by the seat of your pants". By no means is it difficult, but once again, the low score rating was for no guide on the installation procedures :)

Thanks

Patrick

Last edited:
Begood said:
Hey Patrick, how does it feel running through the gears?

Bill.

Well, 2 different feels :

When you are "slamming" through the gears, in a "speed racing" style, it feels very precise, and very good! The gear are a lot closer feeling, for example, when going from 1st to 2nd gear, the movement (throw) is about half of the stock shifter, and about 25-30% better then X-Metal previous shifter, and perfect for this style driving and application.

When you are "daily driving" thought the gears, it is not as easy-going as the factory shifter; you actually have to put some effort to shift it from gear to gear. Once you start driving it, it gets easier and you learn how much effort it take to get it to "lock-and-drop" into each gear.

Hopefully that helps :)

Patrick

any word on when you will get the B&M Shifter to compare the two?

(not that im trying to take away from Gary's flame just curious to see how the two compare. . . most likly hands down for Gary's)

turbo_neon said:
any word on when you will get the B&M Shifter to compare the two?

(not that im trying to take away from Gary's flame just curious to see how the two compare. . . most likly hands down for Gary's)

B&M review will (hopefully) be posted with full review tonight :)

Thanks

Patrick

Riff62 said:
Damn it!! I coulda bought one if my g/f didnt talk me into going to the Carribean, on a Windjammer cruise...all that damn sun and alcohol..crap..lol
Gary, do you have a "buy now,pay someday" program?..lol..What do you use for CAD?..just curious..
master cam X

RedSrt007 said:
The reason for the low score in the Install / Instruction category, is due to the lack of installation material that is included (there was non :) ), now possibly at a later time there might be, but as of right now, you have to install "by the seat of your pants". By no means is it difficult, but once again, the low score rating was for no guide on the installation procedures :)

Thanks

Patrick
didnt think you needed em, since ya have one already;)
X metal billet shifter instructions
• Remove the 3) 5/16 head bolts holding your center console down. They are located under the rubber mats in the drink holders & the center tray
• Remove the shifter knob
• Slide the console over the shifter & set to the side after unplugging the 12v accy plug
• Remove the 5/16 bolts holding down the plate with the rubber boot over the shifter. Some of the bolts, you will need to pull the carpet back a little to get to them
• Remove the 4 bolts holding the shifter to the transmission
• Remove the rubber boot over the old shifter & reinstall it on your X-Metal shifter
• Clean the transmission mounting surface & apply a thin layer of gasket sealer to it.
• Install plastic gasket on top of it
• Install the shifter handle at a height that feels comfortable
• Install the shifter base & apply the loctite to the 8mm screws & torque to 14ft lbs

• Remount the console. The secret is to let the shifter do the work. When going from 2nd to 3rd just use the palm of your hand. Subconsciously you might move the auto alignment the shifter is trying to do. The lower height adjustments work better for racing use. It shortens the throw & centers the shifter

Quality is Priceless

I want to put my 2 cents in here. As most of you know I have been a die-hard drag racer since the early 60's.
I have driven many types of vehicles.
My fastest run is in a S/C dragster 8.52 at 154mph.
I currently hold an NHRA 4B competition license #7482 in ET & S/C. That license allows me to drive anything 7.50 and slower.
I have missed a few shifts in my time and don't ever want to do it again.

I have watched many of you fellows complain about how hard it is to make a clean run with our trucks hitting every gear. With that said I recommend anyone with a 6SPD truck to run, not walk to get on the list to get Boomer's new shifter.
I have seen the pictures of Boomer's new shifter and I am amazed at the ruggedness, engineering, material selection, and close tolerance quality construction. There is absolutly nothing that can compare to this shifter. I spoke with Patrick last night after he installed this shifter and he hit all his gears at full throttle, over and over. There is no wondering if it is going to be in the right gear or shift fast enough. It's just there.

I buy a lot of hot rod parts and am not usually very dazzled with a new product. Most are just a rehash of the same old thing. Boomer's shifter is truly innovative in design. And it works.

There has been some mention of lack of fancy packing and lack of directions. I personally have never raced a shifter box myself.;) It's what's inside the box that counts. I am sure that Gary will have concise directions with the shifters he sends out. This was the very first one, and it worked perfectly. No it is not as quiet as a stock shifter but it does shift, every time. When you hurt your motor or transmission by missing a shift that is bad. But when you miss a gear and loose a race that makes us all look bad. I spend many, many dollars to get the best parts I can so I will not have a preventable failure. When a part of this caliber comes along, I jump to get one.

From what I see, I don't know how Gary can manufacture and sell this at the price he is asking. Gary is dedicated to improving our performance and experiance with our trucks. My hat is off to you Gary, Thanks

FSTJACK said:
I want to put my 2 cents in here. As most of you know I have been a die-hard drag racer since the early 60's.
I currently hold an NHRA 4B competition license #7482 in ET & S/C. That license allows me to drive anything 7.50 and slower.

I have watched many of you fellows complain about how hard it is to make a clean run with our trucks hitting every gear. With that said I recommend anyone with a 6SPD truck to run, not walk to get on the list to get Boomer's new shifter.
I have seen the pictures of Boomer's new shifter and I am amazed at the ruggedness, engineering, material selection, and close tolerance quality construction. There is absolutly nothing that can compare to this shifter. I spoke with Patrick last night after he installed this shifter and he hit all his gears at full throttle, over and over. There is no wondering if it is going to be in the right gear or shift fast enough. It's just there.

I buy a lot of hot rod parts and am not usually very dazzled with a new product. Most are just a rehash of the same old thing. Boomer's shifter is truly innovative in design. And it works.

There has been some mention of lack of fancy packing and lack of directions. I personally have never raced a shifter box myself.;) It's what's inside the box that counts. I am sure that Gary will have concise directions with the shifters he sends out. This was the very first one, and it worked perfectly. No it is not as quiet as a stock shifter but it does shift, every time. When you hurt your motor or transmission by missing a shift that is bad. But when you miss a gear and loose a race that makes us all look bad. I spend many, many dollars to get the best parts I can so I will not have a preventable failure. When a part of this caliber comes along, I jump to get one.

From what I see, I don't know how Gary can manufacture and sell this at the price he is asking. Gary is dedicated to improving our performance and experiance with our trucks. My hat is off to you Gary, Thanks
wow, thank you Jack, i really appreciate someone with your expertise & history. thank you very much.

For the 2006 owners out there the instructions that boomer gave don't work for our trucks. you have to take the top off the center console where the cup holders are then the 4 screws around the boot and gently pry up to get the top of the console up and it'll pop out and then you'll be where everyone else is....

Two Question's Boomer, and you may have address them before sorry if i missed it.

I know you said something about working on using the stock handle on your new base, that is how i would like mine to look stock, i love the looks of the hurt shifter. So Question one is do you have a ETA on adapting the stock handle with your new base ?

My second Question is do you have any plans of makeing them not just for viper cars and trucks but allso for Corvettes ? I have a B and M in my vette and honestly i dont like it, would much rather have yours.

Last edited:
Viper7777 said:
Two Question's Boomer, and you may have address them before sorry if i missed it.

I know you said something about working on using the stock handle on your new base, that is how i would like mine to look stock, i love the looks of the hurt shifter. So Question one is do you have a ETA on adapting the stock handle with your new base ?

My second Question is do you have any plans of makeing them not just for viper cars and trucks but allso for Corvettes ? I have a B and M in my vette and honestly i dont like it, would much rather have yours.
hey how are you & welcome to the best forum in the world!
1. we are not going to offer the stock lever adaptation because the stock lever has to many bends into it, BUT our new lever DOES allow the stock ball to screw onto so it appears stock, and looks killer
2.we have a corvette shifter here RIGHT NOW, that we are working on, and we have the BM one also, very very weak design, so yes we are coming out with one for it too!

Wow.. when are you two getting married as it sounds like your in love.. ha.ha.ha. In all seriousness i have to say that if this shifter is as good as what it's maker says it is then it looks like the business.. Please please if more guys have bought and installed this i would really love to hear your opinions and beers are on me.. Im really standing on the sidelines and want to grab one but want to here what owner drivers say..
cheers
shane

FSTJACK said:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back