X-METAL STAGE II

Prof said:
Still wondering how the pcm flash will add hp in a RC??? Especially if you have a VEC II or III...

Are you asking me this question:dontknow:

Prof said:
Still wondering how the pcm flash will add hp in a RC??? Especially if you have a VEC II or III...

I know on mine it removed the wide open throttle timer delay. I dont think you can do that with the VEC.

Prof said:

If you already have the vec, I am with you Prof. But if you dont all I can say is what it did for me. I first lost the cats........trucks throttle response was way better, truck felt a little faster. Then the next week I installed the DC Perf. pcm. First time out, I found out the tires spin like crazy in first and going into second. Truck pulls much harder in the lower rpms for sure. Add in the lower operating temp...... and its well worth the $ IMO.

patrick

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
I know on mine it removed the wide open throttle timer delay. I dont think you can do that with the VEC.

That is the very first comment that I can accept about the flash of the pcm for an RC! Thank you Dave. I can see that eliminating the pause before going to open loop at each shift could be valuable...anyone measured the effect?

Seat of the pants dyno's are fine, and the amount of scratch from second gear seems to be a common comment, but both are kind of like quoting Readers Digest in your Ph. D. dissertation, just not credible.

Could DC Performance, X-Metal or Roe Racing chime in here? I don't think Underground Racing monitors us...or maybe someone else?

Last edited:
I shaved .8 with the DC StageII. In better air I think I could get almost a second. The only other thing I had was the magnaflow cat-back and that does not add much if any HP.

The truck is day and night with the StageII it's not a "feel it in the SOTP" it is a Kick in the ASS of your pants!

Last edited:
Get Bit said:
I shaved .8 with the DC StageII. In better air I think I could get almost a second. The only other thing I had was the magnaflow cat-back and that does not add much if any HP.

The truck is day and night with the StageII it's not a "feel it in the SOTP" it is a Kick in the ASS of your pants!

No one argues with the efficacy of the stage II flash for QC's...the question is what is the benefit to an RC? Dave has made the only salient comment so far. Now if we can quantify what the value of that is, then we can do a cost/value analysis...but it appears to me that .03 or .04 is going to be net value...

Dave T(BADVENM) said:

The VEC 3 will shut off the WOT timer. the VEC 2 will not.

Had no idea! Now how do I check to see if it is doing so on my truck? Stingray, can you chime in here?

Prof said:
Had no idea! Now how do I check to see if it is doing so on my truck? Stingray, can you chime in here?
Prof, When you punch it, it should get it right now if your vec 111 took the delay out. If not it will take a second or two to get the power. I think.

Am going to ask Sean...I don't have a hesitation that I can detect.

So that takes us back to the issue of a Stage II flash for a RC...if the VEC III deletes the WOT delay...what value is the Stage II flash?

Prof said:
So that takes us back to the issue of a Stage II flash for a RC...if the VEC III deletes the WOT delay...what value is the Stage II flash?

Interesting topic.

I'm considering the Stage II flash, but have not pulled the trigger because I'm not sure it's the best value for the dollar.

Prof said:
Am going to ask Sean...I don't have a hesitation that I can detect.

Roy,
The stage II flash does all the things for the RC that it does for the QC, except torque management. It changes the fuel maps for the RC, it adjusts timing for the RC, it turns on the fan sooner for the RC. It improves torque and horsepower ALL the way thru the power band.
Only difference is the RC is not AS detuned as the QC, in stock form. Therefore you will only see a PEAK hp increase of 20-25 hp on the RC, whereas a QC will pickup 30-40 PEAK hp.

If you have the VEC 3 the only value in the flash is the temp fan control. The true value of the flash over the VEC is the the flash is plug and play and doesn't have to be setup by a tuner.

It is one of the best bang for the buck bolt on mods that I did to my RC.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
ViperTruck2933 said:
...If you have the VEC 3 the only value in the flash is the temp fan control. The true value of the flash over the VEC is the the flash is plug and play and doesn't have to be setup by a tuner.

This really helps...I guess the other side to the issue is that the non-tuner aspect of the Stage II flash is softened if you have need to change the tune...the VEC allows that to happen, the Stage II flash would have to be re-flashed by a tuner...and could not be done by the owner.

Now I think I am getting closer to the issue.

Prof said:
This really helps...I guess the other side to the issue is that the non-tuner aspect of the Stage II flash is softened if you have need to change the tune...the VEC allows that to happen, the Stage II flash would have to be re-flashed by a tuner...and could not be done by the owner.

Now I think I am getting closer to the issue.
Correct.

And another important note is that anyone who is running the VEC "SHOULD NOT" swap between a stock pcm and a flashed pcm without changing their VEC tune. ;)

Interesting information... I've been pondering the Stage II flash as well on my '04 RC and wondering its true benefits... Is it best to have all your mods on (i.e. CAI, exhaust, cat-less mids, headers, etc.) then go for the flash???

BDR SRT-10 said:
Interesting information... I've been pondering the Stage II flash as well on my '04 RC and wondering its true benefits... Is it best to have all your mods on (i.e. CAI, exhaust, cat-less mids, headers, etc.) then go for the flash???
Bolt on mods won't make any difference. It's a generic tune that is designed to support any and all combinations of bolt on mods.:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back