Xmetal TB sticks

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by belgiumbarry, Feb 10, 2008.

1. belgiumbarry

belgiumbarry Full Access Member

strange... when apart the TB go's perfect but once srewed in place it sticks a bit .... have anybody seen this :confused: :dontknow:

like there is some small deformation of the casing by the tension of the 4 screws...:confused:
    Even mounted i can pull the shaft left-right a very tiny little bit... so there's play...

2. noid

noid Full Access Member

What I would recommend if you have not already done this. Is take it off, loosen the four bolts that hold the blade. Then take a piece of paper and cut it in half. Then open the blade and insert the paper into each side of the blade and let it close on the peper. Now tighen the four blade screws. Open the blade one more time and remove paper. Now hod the TB up to the light with the blade closed. You should see light all the way around. Hope this helps.

3. belgiumbarry

did the paper trick....and against light i see the play is even ...
    the 2 joint faces seemd fair straight... we have to use some silicone pasta as the Roe blower doesn't have a gasket groove as the stock manifold...

Will take it apart and dubbel check it if it stays sticking...perhaps needs some break in :D ..... :rock:

4. tinygiants

tinygiants Active Member Supporting Member

Barry,
    I do not have the X-metal, but I do have the ROE TB. I got mine used when a fellow member experienced similar issues. Alignment is critical when installing the TB blade. Are you certain that the screws were tightened evenly? If so go back to the blade. I truly doubt that the unit needs break in. I also would advise against any efforts to sand or otherwise adjust the blade to force it to fit.

Just my $.02

Good Luck.

5. nycstev

nycstev Full Access Member

My Roe Tb was sticking off idle when hot. It seems to have improved???

6. blackviper

blackviper Active Member Supporting Member

I had to do the paper thing a couple of times before I got it right. Just make sure the paper is all the way around except for area the blade gets screwed in. If you just do the paper on the top and bottom, it may not get centered laterally. Good luck.

7. JimTeTe

JimTeTe Active Member Supporting Member

I'm about ready to buy this item. Not sure if I should from all the neg. vibes I been getting. Which to choose from, X-metal? Roe? I guess there are one or two others as well. I would like to get one that don't stick though. Any other thoughts from anybody?

Jim

8. mauiSRT/10

mauiSRT/10 New Member Supporting Member

Ditto for me as well. Took me a couple of trys to get it right. I have never had any problems since the install.

patrick

9. tinygiants

tinygiants Active Member Supporting Member

When properly set up, they are fine. They are just a bit precise on the setup though. Not hard if you are patient, but certainly not something to do when in a hurry or distracted. I installed mine in about 1.5 hours including the set up.

As far as brands go, it is a personal choice. I have the ROE, because I like the way Sean does his business. I have heard the Xmetal is a very nice piece though. In the end i bet they are equal in performance (minimal), but that is just my unsubstantiated opinion.

10. belgiumbarry

pitty the blade screws are facing inwards....we could do the alignement in place , with and compensating the "distortion" by the 4 mounting screws....:D

11. noid

noid Full Access Member

Buy the ROE. You can pick up new bearing cheap. Besides x-metals customer service sucks and ROE's does not.

12. JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE Active Member Preferred Vendor

Make sure the TB is flat, sit in on a straight edge and check it, also when installing and tightning the bolts, tighten them a tad more than finger tight, then tighten them cross ways alittle at a time, sometimes it can distort if you tighten one side more than the other

13. HOT RAM

HOT RAM Full Access Member

Mine has been in since Nov and no problems at all.I have the X-Metal,but either one will work just as well.

14. belgiumbarry

as i tought also... loosing the mounting screws... the TB go's perfect again... dubbel checked the blade clearence against a light... all was perfect ( i did it in the first time :D ) ...
    Now i see using the silicone pasta gasket there is not much thickness... almost nothing...
    Light tightning the screws and oeps... sticking TB... :eek:

Now ( at work ) i made a gasket from very soft 3 mm thick rubber ... think that will do the trick ... come and see this evening :D :elefant: :elefant:

15. belgiumbarry

can torque now just enough the mounting screws before the blade sticks. Strange....
    Once with a running engine there's a little sticking again...vacuum on the blade... :confused:

I rotated the TPS as much as it can on his 2 screws... idle is better but ( not always ) there's a hesitation around 1200 revs to then slowly drop to normal idle... anybody had to solve this ? is this typical for a blow engine :confused: :confused: or should the TPS be still more rotated :confused: ... by making the holes bigger so there's more play on the 2 bolts :dontknow: ....

16. Ram From Hell

Ram From Hell Full Access Member

What timing. I just went through the same process.

Everything was perfect on the bench, but stuck on the manifold. Backed off one of the bolts half a turn and voila!

On the TPS, have you checked the voltage reading? Just a thought. There's a procedure outlined in the eX-Vendor instructions for dialing that in.

17. belgiumbarry

thanks :rock: strange... should machine the TB facing to see "how" flat it is... :confused: if it were it would not deform by the 4 bolts....

eX-Vendor instructions :confused: do you have a link :dontknow: o.. wait .. is it on the manual included with the TB ? can check it tomorrow.....:eek:

18. nycstev

nycstev Full Access Member

Its a combo of vacuum and linear expansion due to heat that makes it stick:D After fooling with mine it seems to have gotten alot better. i also have a an idle fluctuation

19. Begood

Begood Full Access Member

Make sure you don't tighten the bolts too much, it has a rubber "O" ring so it doesn't need to be torqued real tight.

Bill.

20. belgiumbarry

against a stock manifold Bill.. yes.The Roe is flat surface , no groove and rubber gasket... instructions ask for a tiny seal of silicone ...