you guys change your oil hot or cold??

Always change it hot bro, reason is because its thinner when hot and more of the old oil will come out rather than just staying "stuck" to your internals

a bit of warmth, on ramps

Hot.. Flows faster and it'll flow more.

You can never completely change the oil, hot will drain the most though

When the engine has reached the normal operating temp I will shut off the engine and change the oil about 15 min after. That way the oil has had a chance to drain down to the pan and still be hot.

The reason I ask is......the other night when I was leaving work. I noticed 1 of the 35 year mechanics changing oil on his own truck. I told him to move it inside so he didn't have to lay in the stones. He said he didn't wanna start the truck up and get it hot and circulate all that used oil, when its allready all sitting in the bottom of the pan....I've been thinking about this for a few days now....don't get me wrong I get mine hot then let sit for 10 min then drain....

Actually thats an interesting point, we chaeck oil after its sat so its accurate Maybe onto something here:dontknow: I would imagine if you had a couple of hours to let it drain, maybe more would come out?:dontknow: Great post.:rock:

thewelshm

After I pull the plug and dump the filter mine sits for 1/2 to 1 hour like that while I do other stuff.

Been doing it like that for 50 years.

I drain the oil hot, then with no oil in it I drive around for at least 15-20 minutes with the drain plug out to get all the oil out. The I let it run and pour cheap oil in it and just let it run through and come out on the ground to get it really clean. Then I fill it with Mountain Dew and shes good to go.

Oh....so you we just assuming I didn't know how to change oil then???....Confused??

me too :dontknow: what happened haha. No I was just saying thats how I change mine. Back on topic though, Im not sure about the capacity of the pan but if you drain it cold, some of the old oil would still be up in the engine right? In the Army we only change oil when warm on all vehicles.

me too :dontknow: what happened haha. No I was just saying thats how I change mine. Back on topic though, Im not sure about the capacity of the pan but if you drain it cold, some of the old oil would still be up in the engine right? In the Army we only change oil when warm on all vehicles.

I've always changed mine that way ( hot)!!...cold I would think there would be less oil in the engine north of the oil pan....its not like the rotating assembly is sitting in oil...until the other night I never thought much about it???

Changing it hot helps suspend the particles into the oil, therefore flushes them out when being drained. Only change oil when hot, let it drain for 1/2 - 1 hour if you have the time.

I drain the oil hot, then with no oil in it I drive around for at least 15-20 minutes with the drain plug out to get all the oil out. The I let it run and pour cheap oil in it and just let it run through and come out on the ground to get it really clean. Then I fill it with Mountain Dew and shes good to go.

Hows that Mountain Dew work out, HP Gain??? :D

Changing it hot helps suspend the particles into the oil, therefore flushes them out when being drained. Only change oil when hot, let it drain for 1/2 - 1 hour if you have the time.

Same thing I was told in small engine/oil-cooled engine training.

-big

I only change it when it's scalding hot so I can burn the piss outta myself when I change it:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back