you guys change your oil hot or cold??

8-10k? Seems like a lot. I really dont even keep track but Id say around 4-5k miles.

Every 3,000.
Hot or cold doesn't really make a difference to me.
If I'm taking a sample they recommend it be hot to burn any fuel out of the oil.

I drain the oil hot, then with no oil in it I drive around for at least 15-20 minutes with the drain plug out to get all the oil out. The I let it run and pour cheap oil in it and just let it run through and come out on the ground to get it really clean. Then I fill it with Mountain Dew and shes good to go.

I just tried this but only had rootbeer I think that was my downfall. Cause she seased tight as can be. next time I'll try mountain dew. Lol it muse be the dew that keeps it lubricated. Dammit should have known better. Lololol.

And with synthetic oil it's suposto be good for 10k all day long. I've run my. A truck 10k on synthetic and it was still feeling good when changed "oil was feeling good" viscosity wise

Last edited:
On my Hemi Durango I change the oil every 15K miles with synthetic. I bought it new and it has 120K miles on her now. This truck is never driven hard and it still has the original plugs!

On my Hemi Durango I change the oil every 15K miles with synthetic. I bought it new and it has 120K miles on her now. This truck is never driven hard and it still has the original plugs!

Cheap, Cheap, Cheap! 120K on original plugs, whats why your gas mileage went down.:D

i change mine hot or atleast warm. i can see what the cold guys are saying though.... i would think that the little bit leftover in the motor (hot or cold) dosent realy have a effect when your putting in 10-11 new quarts..... idk. and on the second part of this thread.... i try to always chang my oil 3000-5000

I always change mine hot, drive it for 20 minutes minimum, that is approx. full operating temp (not water temp) oil temp. Then park it on flat ground and gather up supplies ~30 mins later drain, remove fill cap and dipstick, and then drain oil and remove filter. I'm an engineer so I'm above being questioned. :adore:

I always change mine hot, drive it for 20 minutes minimum, that is approx. full operating temp (not water temp) oil temp. Then park it on flat ground and gather up supplies ~30 mins later drain, remove fill cap and dipstick, and then drain oil and remove filter. I'm an engineer so Im really not as smart as I think I am...and truthfully everything I say should be questioned. :adore:

Even tho I agree.. you shouldn't be so hard on yourself!"

Last edited:

Feel sorry for it. Never gets to run and gets treated like crap.

It should be at least warm to hot, not cold. I do it warm, which is plenty sufficient, so as not to burn myself.

Ok guys after reading this post and doing a little research I did my first COLD oil change today. It was a pleasurable experience and a lot less messy. Being from Wales the UK Originally we were always programmed to change oil when engine was warm. I call:bs:eek:n that whole deal unless it freezing cold. I live in Florida so it was nothing to get under there and perform in my opinion the cleanest most comfortable oil change I have ever done:D

My 02 I am sure there will be critics but why put oil back up in the motor when gravity brought it all into the pan overnight:dontknow: Then why burn the shit out of yourself with a hot motor:dontknow: Just asking:D

thewelshm

Ok guys after reading this post and doing a little research I did my first COLD oil change today. It was a pleasurable experience and a lot less messy. Being from Wales the UK Originally we were always programmed to change oil when engine was warm. I call:bs:eek:n that whole deal unless it freezing cold. I live in Florida so it was nothing to get under there and perform in my opinion the cleanest most comfortable oil change I have ever done:D

My 02 I am sure there will be critics but why put oil back up in the motor when gravity brought it all into the pan overnight:dontknow: Then why burn the shit out of yourself with a hot motor:dontknow: Just asking:D

thewelshm

:withstupid:

just changed mine... it's 98* to start with, no need to warm it up!:D:eviltongue:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back