you guys change your oil hot or cold??

Lets use a little common sense here. Why would oil be in the top of the engine when it is cold. It does not crawl up there after the last time you shut it off. If it was hot when you shut it down on the last drive, it all settles in the pan. If you crank it up and warm it before changing your oil, you are effectively putting the drained oil back in the top of the engine and coating every surface area with a film of oil, and that adds up.

If the goal is to evacuate as much as possible from the pan, putting oil up in the engine when it had overnight to drain and drip dry from the rotating assembly and every vertical surface area of the engine, you are shooting yourself in the foot. The .1mm depth of oil that would additionally drain from the level of the bottom of the drain plug is far surpassed by the amount of oil you splashed through your entire engine during warming. Realistically, hot or cold, there is not much difference in time waiting for the oil to stop dripping from the plug.

All of this is really pointless when you consider that your engine holds 320oz of oil and regardless of the method you use, the 2-4 oz difference is only 0.625% to 1.25% of the filled volume. The amount of residual used oil left behind, even if it had 0 viscosity, would be negated after 18.75 miles or 37.5 miles respectively.

Lets use a little common sense here. Why would oil be in the top of the engine when it is cold. It does not crawl up there after the last time you shut it off. If it was hot when you shut it down on the last drive, it all settles in the pan. If you crank it up and warm it before changing your oil, you are effectively putting the drained oil back in the top of the engine and coating every surface area with a film of oil, and that adds up.

If the goal is to evacuate as much as possible from the pan, putting oil up in the engine when it had overnight to drain and drip dry from the rotating assembly and every vertical surface area of the engine, you are shooting yourself in the foot. The .1mm depth of oil that would additionally drain from the level of the bottom of the drain plug is far surpassed by the amount of oil you splashed through your entire engine during warming. Realistically, hot or cold, there is not much difference in time waiting for the oil to stop dripping from the plug.

All of this is really pointless when you consider that your engine holds 320oz of oil and regardless of the method you use, the 2-4 oz difference is only 0.625% to 1.25% of the filled volume. The amount of residual used oil left behind, even if it had 0 viscosity, would be negated after 18.75 miles or 37.5 miles respectively.

Yea, but when you change it hot there are a lot more particles of gunk actually IN the oil.

Yea, but when you change it hot there are a lot more particles of gunk actually IN the oil.

If those particles didnt settle into the pan when the oil was hot, what makes you think they are suddenly going to when you pull the drain plug?

Any particles small enough to get past the filter will NOT settle out of the oil to any effect. One of the primary purposes of the oil is as a dispersent and detergent preventing the deposit and settling of particals until they can be caught by the filter. The oil pump flows between 8-11GPM, cycling the entire oil volume every 13-20 seconds. Our factory oil filters are around 2/20=17/27 This means at 2 microns the filter is 50% efficient and at 17 microns it is 95% efficient.
What this means, is that under normal wear, the particles that get past the oil filter will be finer than that of a corn starch slurry. The remainder gets caught by the magnetic drain plug.

Last edited:
Well, when the US Army Mechanic School says something, I believe it. And what they say is when the oil is hot, you change it. You can change the oil whenever you would like, I'll stick to the method that is tried and true.

Well, when the US Army Mechanic School says something, I believe it. And what they say is when the oil is hot, you change it. You can change the oil whenever you would like, I'll stick to the method that is tried and true.

Sounds like the typical army quote
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0344qRfAOtA]The Monkey Experiment - YouTube[/ame]

Put mine on the ramps the night before I do it then drain cold the next day. I do all mine this way always have and I've been driving for 15yrs, and have yet to have a engine fail. Needless to say me and the woman drive rangers to work my 97 has 223k and her 07 has 205k with no problems and neither smoke at all. so I think I'll stay to the method that has worked for so long yielding great results.

Put mine on the ramps the night before I do it then drain cold the next day. I do all mine this way always have and I've been driving for 15yrs, and have yet to have a engine fail. Needless to say me and the woman drive rangers to work my 97 has 223k and her 07 has 205k with no problems and neither smoke at all. so I think I'll stay to the method that has worked for so long yielding great results.

They dont make ramps for 26 ton tanks, maybe thats why my theory is off

Actually, and this is way off topic, but we send the oil to labs and the results determine whether the oil needs to be changed at all. Youd be surprised how long oil actually last in a detroit diesel. Which brings me to the next point, how often do you fellas change your oil?

Actually, and this is way off topic, but we send the oil to labs and the results determine whether the oil needs to be changed at all. Youd be surprised how long oil actually last in a detroit diesel. Which brings me to the next point, how often do you fellas change your oil?

Don't be jackin my thread!!!

I've went as far as 4k....looks to be pretty dirty by then..

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back