Your Opinions On Dec. 21st 2012

SilvrSRT10 said:
.... So why does the Mayan calendar end on this date? Is there a "To be continued" in the fine print? Or have we not found volume two of the Mayan calendar yet? Inquiring minds want to know.:D

Ah... that is the great Irony of the whole thing.... The Mayans were the most advanced thinkers of their time. But, the Spaniards just happened to have better weaponry. The Spanish wiped out the whole civilization AND 99% of their texts. :mad: The calender we have studied is incomplete. :mad: I do truly believe that power, greed, ignorance, and arrogance have destroyed more over the course of history than we will EVER be able to "discover" again. :mad: :(

It's all BS.....

And if it's true, there won't be anyone to tell me I was wrong. So I have no intention of planning for something the is titled "The End"

Just some basics to get us started. The Maya were adept skywatchers. Their Classic Period is thought to have lasted from 200 A.D. to 900 A.D., but recent archeological findings are pushing back the dawn of Mayan civilization in Mesoamerica. Large ruin sites indicating high culture with distinctly Mayan antecedents are being found in the jungles of Guatemala dating back to before the common era. And even before this, the Olmec civilization flourished and developed the sacred count of 260 days known as the tzolkin. The early Maya adopted two different time keeping systems, the "Short Count" and the Long Count. The Short Count derives from combining the tzolkin cycle with the solar year and the Venus cycle of 584 days. In this way, "short" periods of 13, 52 and 104 years are generated. Unfortunately, we won't have occasion to dwell on the properties of the so-called Short Count system here. The Long Count system is somewhat more abstract, yet is also related to certain astronomical cycles. It is based upon nested cycles of days multiplied at each level by that key Mayan number, twenty:

Number of Days / Term
1 / Kin (day)

20 / Uinal

360 / Tun

7200 / Katun

144000 / Baktun

Notice that the only exception to multiplying by twenty is at the tun level, where the uinal period is instead multiplied by 18 to make the 360-day tun. The Maya employed this counting system to track an unbroken sequence of days from the time it was inaugurated. The Mayan scholar Munro Edmonson believes that the Long Count was put in place around 355 B.C. This may be so, but the oldest Long Count date as yet found corresponds to 32 B.C. We find Long Count dates in the archeological record beginning with the baktun place value and separated by dots. For example: 6.19.19.0.0 equals 6 baktuns, 19 katuns, 19 tuns, 0 uinals and 0 days. Each baktun has 144000 days, each katun has 7200 days, and so on. If we add up all the values we find that 6.19.19.0.0 indicates a total of 1007640 days have elapsed since the Zero Date of 0.0.0.0.0. The much discussed 13-baktun cycle is completed 1872000 days (13 baktuns) after 0.0.0.0.0. This period of time is the so called Mayan "Great Cycle" of the Long Count and equals 5125.36 years.

But how are we to relate this to a time frame we can understand? How does this Long Count relate to our Gregorian calendar? This problem of correlating Mayan time with "western" time has occupied Mayan scholars since the beginning. The standard question to answer became: what does 0.0.0.0.0 (the Long Count "beginning" point) equal in the Gregorian calendar? When this question is answered, archeological inscriptions can be put into their proper historical context and the end date of the 13-baktun cycle can be calculated. After years of considering data from varied fields such as astronomy, ethnography, archeology and iconography, J. Eric S. Thompson determined that 0.0.0.0.0 correponded to the Julian date 584283, which equals August 11th, 3114 B.C. in our Gregorian calendar. This means that the end date of 13.0.0.0.0, some 5125 years later, is December 21st, 2012 A.D.1

The relationship between the Long Count and Short Count has always been internally consistent (both were tracked alongside each other in an unbroken sequence since their conception). Now it is very interesting to note that an aspect of the "Short Count", namely, the sacred tzolkin count of 260 days, is still being followed in the highlands of Guatemala. As the Mayan scholar Munro Edmonson shows in The Book of the Year, this last surviving flicker of a calendar tradition some 3000 years old supports the Thompson correlation of 584283. Edmonson also states that the Long Count was begun by the Maya or pre-Maya around 355 B.C., but there is reason to believe that the Long Count system was being perfected for at least 200 years prior to that date.

The point of interest for these early astronomers seems to have been the projected end date in 2012 A.D., rather than the beginning date in 3114 B.C. Having determined the end date in 2012 (for reasons we will come to shortly), and calling it 13.0.0.0.0, they thus proclaimed themselves to be living in the 6th baktun of the Great Cycle. The later Maya certainly attributed much mythological significance to the beginning date, relating it to the birth of their deities, but it now seems certain that the placement of the Long Count hinges upon its calculated end point. Why did early Mesoamerican skywatchers pick a date some 2300 years into the future and, in fact, how did they pinpoint an accurate winter solstice? With all these considerations one begins to suspect that, for some reason, the ancient New World astronomers were tracking precession.

The precession of the equinoxes, also known as the Platonic Year, is caused by the slow wobbling of the earth's polar axis. Right now this axis roughly points to Polaris, the "Pole Star," but this changes slowly over long periods of time. The earth's wobble causes the position of the seasonal quarters to slowly precess against the background of stars. For example, right now, the winter solstice position is in the constellation of Sagittarius. But 2000 years ago it was in Capricorn. Since then, it has precessed backward almost one full sign. It is generally thought that the Greek astronomer Hipparchus was the first to discover precession around 128 B.C. Yet scholarship indicates that more ancient Old World cultures such as the Egyptians (see Schwaller de Lubicz's book Sacred Science) and Babylonians also knew about the precession.

SilvrSRT10 said:
There's been some talk about the end of the world happening on Dec. 21st 2012. Now if this really happens, that's gonna suck. I mean we won't even get to celebrate Christmas that year. :mad:And I was looking forward to retirement a few years after that. :( Here is a web site dedicated to this event. What's your take on it?

http://survive2012.com/
http://www.msghelp.net/showthread.php?tid=74463

The end of the world has already happened according to some:
http://www.eagleton.rutgers.edu/e-gov/e-politicalarchive-Clintonimpeach.htm

The actual end of the earth will occur when the sun goes into it's red giant phase in about 500,000,000 years. Just enough time for us to get off this nice blue ball:)

At the rate we are going we humans will not see this.

-jeff

Black1 said:
Ah... that is the great Irony of the whole thing.... The Mayans were the most advanced thinkers of their time. But, the Spaniards just happened to have better weaponry. The Spanish wiped out the whole civilization AND 99% of their texts. :mad: The calender we have studied is incomplete. :mad: I do truly believe that power, greed, ignorance, and arrogance have destroyed more over the course of history than we will EVER be able to "discover" again. :mad: :(
Yeah the weapons also worked better after 1/2 the population was whipped out from Small Pox and Influenza....Made them easy targets ;) :D

jelms said:
The end of the world has already happened according to some:
http://www.eagleton.rutgers.edu/e-gov/e-politicalarchive-Clintonimpeach.htm

The actual end of the earth will occur when the sun goes into it's red giant phase in about 500,000,000 years. Just enough time for us to get off this nice blue ball:)

At the rate we are going we humans will not see this.

-jeff
Django will he is Immortal :D He just celebrated his 746th Birthday :p The hair still looks good too :rock:

Stinker said:
Had to hunt this back up , thought it was interesting, but will rattle your brain:D

Along with exact solar, lunar and Venutian calendars, the Maya had a calendar of 260 days. What exactly was this calendar trying to relate to is unclear. I have proposed that it related to the orbit of an ancient comet. But let’s get above and beyond that to the big picture. In the center of the 260-day calendar called the Tzolkien is 4 glyphs surrounding a fifth glyph representing five 52-day periods (5 X 52 = 260). In Mayan thought the glyphs also expanded out to represent the 5 ages of 5200 years (5 X 5200 = 26000).
Notice that 26000 relates mathematically back to 260. 26000 years just happens to be the period of the earth’s wobble on its axis (precession). In 2012, we are completing that 26000-year cycle (See previous articles). My point here is that not only by coincidence are we also 26000 light years from the galactic center, but our solar system’s time of orbit around the GC is another 260 multiple of approximately 260 million years. This all helps to reinforce the idea that the Mayan 260 day calendar was trying to tell us something on several levels.
It is estimated that about 250 million years ago there was a catastrophe. It is called the Great Dying. 90% of all species on earth were lost rapidly. We came within an eyelash of no more life on earth. This was very close to exactly one galactic orbit and one very grand scale of the Mayan 260 day calendar ago.
One quarter of that length of time of 260 million years and thus relating to one very grand age just happens to be 65 millions years ago, when the dinosaurs were killed off. So it would appear that major catastrophes are scheduled precisely like clockwork. Next up is 2012.

All this is stuff you read about in order to form your own opinion on. What do you think about it Stinker? Prof?

I think there is a ton of coincidences that collide in that same year, just look at the weather and how it is rapidly changing as we speak.
Look at how fuel is being consumed at an alarming rate and no one seems to be concerned.
There will planets aligning that only happens every few bazillion years, which could cause major tidal and weather changes.
NASA is predicting a super nova from the sun.
Strange that many religions besides the Myans seem to use the very same date.
The shift of the tetonic plates as of lately have started doing unnatural things.
The shifting of the poles is supposed to occur the same year.
The Myans were a civilization that they are finding older than what they actually thought, is it a coiencidence that that picked this day? and How could they have known.
To me it is all very interesting,do I think something will happen? Yes, something may happen, personnally I think it is allready in the works the way the climates are changing, do I think it will be the end............who knows? but I dont think so.
Its jsut real strange when you go deep into the Myan religion, for One there calender could go back almost 64 million years?;)
All I know is I hope to beat Nowwhats time before we all float off to mars!LOLOL

Stinker said:
NASA is predicting a super nova from the sun.

Where did this info come from? :dontknow: :confused: I think we would be in a frenzie trying to figure out how to get FAR FAR away from here (like the next closest solar system), if the Sun was going to Super Nova. ;) ..... Might want to re-research that one, Stink. :eek: :dontknow:

March 10, 2006: It's official: Solar minimum has arrived. Sunspots have all but vanished. Solar flares are nonexistent. The sun is utterly quiet.

Like the quiet before a storm.

This week researchers announced that a storm is coming--the most intense solar maximum in fifty years. The prediction comes from a team led by Mausumi Dikpati of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). "The next sunspot cycle will be 30% to 50% stronger than the previous one," she says. If correct, the years ahead could produce a burst of solar activity second only to the historic Solar Max of 1958.

That was a solar maximum. The Space Age was just beginning: Sputnik was launched in Oct. 1957 and Explorer 1 (the first US satellite) in Jan. 1958. In 1958 you couldn't tell that a solar storm was underway by looking at the bars on your cell phone; cell phones didn't exist. Even so, people knew something big was happening when Northern Lights were sighted three times in Mexico. A similar maximum now would be noticed by its effect on cell phones, GPS, weather satellites and many other modern technologies.

Right: Intense auroras over Fairbanks, Alaska, in 1958. [More]

Dikpati's prediction is unprecedented. In nearly-two centuries since the 11-year sunspot cycle was discovered, scientists have struggled to predict the size of future maxima—and failed. Solar maxima can be intense, as in 1958, or barely detectable, as in 1805, obeying no obvious pattern.

The key to the mystery, Dikpati realized years ago, is a conveyor belt on the sun.

We have something similar here on Earth—the Great Ocean Conveyor Belt, popularized in the sci-fi movie The Day After Tomorrow. It is a network of currents that carry water and heat from ocean to ocean--see the diagram below. In the movie, the Conveyor Belt stopped and threw the world's weather into chaos.

Above: Earth's "Great Ocean Conveyor Belt." [More]

The sun's conveyor belt is a current, not of water, but of electrically-conducting gas. It flows in a loop from the sun's equator to the poles and back again. Just as the Great Ocean Conveyor Belt controls weather on Earth, this solar conveyor belt controls weather on the sun. Specifically, it controls the sunspot cycle.

Solar physicist David Hathaway of the National Space Science & Technology Center (NSSTC) explains: "First, remember what sunspots are--tangled knots of magnetism generated by the sun's inner dynamo. A typical sunspot exists for just a few weeks. Then it decays, leaving behind a 'corpse' of weak magnetic fields."

Enter the conveyor belt.

"The top of the conveyor belt skims the surface of the sun, sweeping up the magnetic fields of old, dead sunspots. The 'corpses' are dragged down at the poles to a depth of 200,000 km where the sun's magnetic dynamo can amplify them. Once the corpses (magnetic knots) are reincarnated (amplified), they become buoyant and float back to the surface." Presto—new sunspots!

Right: The sun's "great conveyor belt." [Larger image]

All this happens with massive slowness. "It takes about 40 years for the belt to complete one loop," says Hathaway. The speed varies "anywhere from a 50-year pace (slow) to a 30-year pace (fast)."

When the belt is turning "fast," it means that lots of magnetic fields are being swept up, and that a future sunspot cycle is going to be intense. This is a basis for forecasting: "The belt was turning fast in 1986-1996," says Hathaway. "Old magnetic fields swept up then should re-appear as big sunspots in 2010-2011."

Like most experts in the field, Hathaway has confidence in the conveyor belt model and agrees with Dikpati that the next solar maximum should be a doozy. But he disagrees with one point. Dikpati's forecast puts Solar Max at 2012. Hathaway believes it will arrive sooner, in 2010 or 2011.

"History shows that big sunspot cycles 'ramp up' faster than small ones," he says. "I expect to see the first sunspots of the next cycle appear in late 2006 or 2007—and Solar Max to be underway by 2010 or 2011."

Ah, yes... You had your terms wrong. :eek: :) That is a cyclical phenomina on the Sun that happens every few years. Kinda like our weather patterns here on Earth.

Solar Flares and Sun Spots are VERY different than a "Super Nova", Stink. ;) A Super Nova means that the Sun is going to explode. :eek: (or is that implode... :confused: :hmmmm: Either way, it's bad. :eek: ;) ) Sun Spots just mean we will need a little more sunscreen at the beach, during 2010-2012. :D :eek: ...... That is, unless we get hit by a Solar FLARE (which could happen at any time)! Solar Flares from other stars have been big enough to completely incinerate whole planets. :eek: That would turn us to "extra-tasty, crispy" in about 3 milliseconds. :eek: ...... Kinda think of it as a Sun burp. :p

Last edited:
Black1 said:
Ah, yes... You had your terms wrong. :eek: :) That is a cyclical phenomina on the Sun that happens every few years. Kinda like our weather patterns here on Earth.

Solar Flares and Sun Spots are VERY different than a "Super Nova", Stink. ;) A Super Nova means that the Sun is going to explode. :eek: (or is that implode... :confused: :hmmmm: Either way, it's bad. :eek: ;) ) Sun Spots just mean we will need a little more sunscreen at the beach, during 2010-2012. :D :eek: ...... That is, unless we get hit by a Solar FLARE (which could happen at any time)! Solar Flares from other stars have been big enough to completely incinerate whole planets. :eek: That would turn us to "extra-tasty, crispy" in about 3 milliseconds. :eek: ...... Kinda think of it as a Sun burp. :p

Yeah sorry bout that , got too many pots in the fire today,:D

but there are striking parallels between a diversity of cultures relating to 2012 and there are many world views available to us all if we’re willing to listen. Many different traditions speak about 2012 in the beliefs and prophesies of their cultures.

Here are a few to ponder;) The Hopi predict a 25-year period of purification followed by the End of Fourth World and the beginning of the Fifth. Mayan call it the ‘end days’. Maori say that as the veils dissolve there will be a merging of the physical & spiritual worlds. Zulu believe that the whole world will be turned upside down. Hindu Kali Yuga , end of man. The Coming of Kali & critical mass of Enlightened Ones. Inca call it the ‘Age of Meeting Ourselves Again’. Aztec call this the Time of the Sixth Sun. A time of transformation and creation of new race. Dogon say that a spaceship of the visitors, the Nommo, will return in the form of a blue star:confused: :D . Pueblo acknowledge the emergence into the Fifth World. Cherokee calendar also ends at 2012. Tibetan Kalachakra teachings left by Buddha predict the Coming of the Golden Age. Egyptian Great Pyramid the stone calendar, time cycle also ends in 2012.

fudge , you make my head hurt Jake:D I gotta go ready my truck:p heading out for a bit before thanksgiving dinner:rock:

Stinker said:

fudge , you make my head hurt Jake:D I gotta go ready my truck:p heading out for a bit before thanksgiving dinner:rock:

I'm just glad to see you take an interest in this stuff, as I do. :) :rock: Take care, on the run... and "Drive Safe". :D ;)

The mayans and egyptians had it all figured out.

...and their pyramids were landing platforms for spaceships too...

“I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field controls my destiny.â€￾

Sorry.

Couldn't resist.

Haterade said:
“I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field controls my destiny.â€￾

Sorry.

Couldn't resist.
Man, you really went digging didn't you :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back