z06 question

mauiSRT/10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend recently bought a 04 z06. Last night has ran it at our track and was basically spinning through third gear so his best time was 13.5. At one point some guy from the mainland comes up to him and asks him if he knows about the "competitive mode" on the computor? Well low and behold if you hold down the traction control button for 5 seconds the display reads "competitive mode". His next run which was his last, he says it felt like it pulled much harder and he ended up breaking out of his index. He even hit the brakes but still broke out. That run was a 13.58 but with lots of brakes.

Anybody know about this mode and what it does? The dude said the engineers put this in there but it was not publisized.

patrick

It backs off the traction control a bit and allows for some wheelspin but will still come into play if things get too drastic. If it's a bone stock car, it should run high 12's. I understand he was using the brakes on his 13.5 run so this sounds consistant. If your friend wants to learn ALOT about his new Z, he should sign up at Z06VETTE.com. Lots and lots of great info there!!!

Jim

Sounds like your buddy is spinning all over the place. From what I've seen of these cars, he should be running mid to high 12's bone stock on street tires. He should be able to get there with a little throttle finesse.

The Active Handling is still active but the Traction Control is turned off in the Competition Mode. It's not a secret from GM, they printed this in the owners manual.

Competitive Driving Mode
The driver can select this optional handling mode by pressing the ACTIVE HANDLING button on the console for more than five seconds. A chime will sound and COMPETITIVE DRIVING will be displayed in the DIC. Competitive Driving mode allows the driver to have full control of the rear wheels while the Active Handling System helps steer the vehicle by selective brake application. The instrument cluster light will not be on. The Traction Control System will not be operating. Adjust your driving accordingly.

Stingray said:
The Active Handling is still active but the Traction Control is turned off in the Competition Mode. It's not a secret from GM, they printed this in the owners manual.

Interesting, he said it was not in the manual. I guess he was wrong.

Yes he was spinning all the way down the track. Sixty times were bad, 2.2 or worse. This was his first time to the track with the car, so he'll get better.

I need to get my midpipes installed then run him and have a chance of beating him!!!! Bragging rights!! LOL

patrick

the SRT8's also have this option. hold the ESP button down for 5 seconds and the ESP will be turned off completely

mauiSRT/10 said:
Interesting, he said it was not in the manual. I guess he was wrong.

Yes he was spinning all the way down the track. Sixty times were bad, 2.2 or worse. This was his first time to the track with the car, so he'll get better.

I need to get my midpipes installed then run him and have a chance of beating him!!!! Bragging rights!! LOL

patrick
Since I have an R/C, I wish you all the luck, but just make sure you end the race before his drag coefficient advantage takes over. Oh yeah . . . and don't forget about his 1500 pound weight advantage!:D

VA VIPERAM said:
Sounds like your buddy is spinning all over the place. From what I've seen of these cars, he should be running mid to high 12's bone stock on street tires. He should be able to get there with a little throttle finesse.
Over here on the East Coast the 405hp ZO6's will run easy mid 12's. Low 12's with a driver!:D Traction baby!!:rock:

VA VIPERAM said:
Since I have an R/C, I wish you all the luck, but just make sure you end the race before his drag coefficient advantage takes over. Oh yeah . . . and don't forget about his 1500 pound weight advantage!:D

His 13.5's were at 111 and 110 mph each time!!!! Yeah I need some luck.....but I really need traction, hence why I am ordering JMB's kit.

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
His 13.5's were at 111 and 110 mph each time!!!! Yeah I need some luck.....but I really need traction, hence why I am ordering JMB's kit.

patrick

You can take him. It'll be a good heads up race, but you should be able to prevail....

Have him start reading corvetteforum.com. He needs to find Ranger's post on how to launch a Z06. Its in the z06 section. He should be able to knock a full second off that time. Mine ran a 12.22 bone stock.

They are fast.

SLORam said:
Have him start reading corvetteforum.com. He needs to find Ranger's post on how to launch a Z06. Its in the z06 section. He should be able to knock a full second off that time. Mine ran a 12.22 bone stock.

They are fast.

Dayum dude!!! Thats fast.....must have had some nice cold air that night!!

patrick

bucke77 said:
the SRT8's also have this option. hold the ESP button down for 5 seconds and the ESP will be turned off completely
they have a esp fan mod you can do too to the srt8

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back