Zero Turn Mower

outnumbered

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to be mowing about 2 acres. Any recommendations on brand? I'm looking for a slightly used (less than 100 hours) machine.

We run Hustler and John Deere. We only run JD because of the equipment inherited from the purchase of anther company. The JD's although are decent machines are VERY expensive to maintain. They also run slower than the Hustler.

When it is time to buy another mower it will be a Hustler...

*** All equipment we use is commercial grade. I can not speak for any other non commercial grade equipment.

Hustler--add that to the many others that I have never heard of. I didn't realize there were so many different mower manufactures. Thanks for the info.

I have a John Deere zero turn and I mow about 4 acres a week. 23 hp Kohler, 54 inch cut. It only has about 55 hours on it but I have had no issues with it. My son has a kubota zero turn 23 hp kohler,54 inch cut with 400 hours on it that he mows a total of 10-15 acres a week. The kubota has hydraulic deck lift and a driveshaft that turns a center gearbox with a belt that ties the 3 blades together. The kubota is more industrial in its design, if you are mowing only 2 acres I would suggest the DEERE. It was about 2,000 dollars less with same engine and width of cut.

If your looking for a used machine. Keep your eye's open on Craigslist. I found this but not sure about the brand or what price range your looking at. My suggestion is find your closest lawn equipment store (not Lowe's) and buy something from them. You will need parts and service down the road and it's best to deal with someone who specializes.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/1128998485.html

get Stinker to send you a herd of sheep..cuts the grass and fertilizes at the same time..lol

SilvrSRT10 said:
If your looking for a used machine. Keep your eye's open on Craigslist. I found this but not sure about the brand or what price range your looking at. My suggestion is find your closest lawn equipment store (not Lowe's) and buy something from them. You will need parts and service down the road and it's best to deal with someone who specializes.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/1128998485.html

Thanks Dave. I did see that one, but the deck is too small.

outnumbered said:
Thanks Dave. I did see that one, but the deck is too small.
Yeah, I thought it looked a little small for 2 acres also. You can do a search on "ztr" or "zero turn". I think "zero turn" gets more hits.

Last edited:
I second Amtrucker. Hustler's are built to last, I loved them on the golf course. If you get a real old one with the 2 lever handles between your legs hold on! They can throw you like a bronco if you get the old front and back going

We've got a 60" Toro that is surprisingly economical to run !!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Dixie Chopper, Kubota, John Deere (Commercial), John Deere ("Home Depot/Lowes model" zero turn.... but, you can also get them at JD independent dealers for the same price and get a good service plan)..... In that order. :)

I had a JD rider from Home Depot, and it ran flawlessly for 3 years. My lot was only 1.5 acres, but the guy that built the home in the early 1940's was a golf course desinger. The grass was so thick and dense, it was crazy. I think he said the grass was "Miniverde" :dontknow:... I know if I let it go for more than 4" or so, it would bog down the triple blade deck and 23hp Kohler motor. :eek:

Best zero turn mowers I have ever run is a Ferris IS1500. Although they are quite expensive, around $9000 Canadian. For a very good quality yet inexpensive mower have a look at the Simplicity Javelin. The Simplicity is not quite as heavy duty as some of the more commercial type mowers but are very well build. If I can remember right they are about $4000 Canadian.

Just did a search and it appears the Simplicity Javelin is no longer, the Axion is a similar design.

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/products/zero_turn/axion/

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/pages/mower.php?product_id=29

My dad mows about 4 acers with a 60" scagg tiger cub. Its freakin awesome!!!!

yellowfever#154 said:
Best zero turn mowers I have ever run is a Ferris IS1500. Although they are quite expensive, around $9000 Canadian. For a very good quality yet inexpensive mower have a look at the Simplicity Javelin. The Simplicity is not quite as heavy duty as some of the more commercial type mowers but are very well build. If I can remember right they are about $4000 Canadian.

Just did a search and it appears the Simplicity Javelin is no longer, the Axion is a similar design.

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/products/zero_turn/axion/

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/pages/mower.php?product_id=29

Thanks! I have a Simplicity dealer right down the road.

i have the same model as mopower my brother runs a dixie chopper, a lot heavier duty machine but it was 4 grand more than the JD. i cut about 5 acres with mine.

Try adding a little more power if you want to mow quicker:D :D :D :D :D

Attachments

• 574419-R1-018-7A_009.jpg
    574419-R1-018-7A_009.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 33
Black1 said:
Dixie Chopper, Kubota, John Deere (Commercial), John Deere ("Home Depot/Lowes model" zero turn.... but, you can also get them at JD independent dealers for the same price and get a good service plan)..... In that order. :)

I had a JD rider from Home Depot, and it ran flawlessly for 3 years. My lot was only 1.5 acres, but the guy that built the home in the early 1940's was a golf course desinger. The grass was so thick and dense, it was crazy. I think he said the grass was "Miniverde" :dontknow:... I know if I let it go for more than 4" or so, it would bog down the triple blade deck and 23hp Kohler motor. :eek:

Not sure what grass you had but it couldnt have been mini verde. Maybe a zoysia but mini verde is used for putting greens and I doubt you could have grown it much taller than an inch, maybe Jim can chime in and help me out here.

outnumbered said:
Going to be mowing about 2 acres. Any recommendations on brand? I'm looking for a slightly used (less than 100 hours) machine.

It just dawned on me, why do you want a zero turn for a large piece of property. Many of the new mowers including the Simplicity Conquest that I have chosen has an 18 in or less turning radius that will get you around any tree or bed with ease. FYI the conquest is 5G's

1qksrt said:
Try adding a little more power if you want to mow quicker:D :D :D :D :D

:dontknow: :dontknow: No Paxton :dontknow: :dontknow:
:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back