ZL1, GT500, or M3?

Shelby gt500 all the way. I doubt your gonna track these cars the 13-14 are monsters. Thats gonna be my next car no doubt

Another vote for the GT500. Huge factory power, and all the aftermarket support you could want.

I have a 2012 CTS V Coupe 6-speed manual....absolutely my choice. I have driven the GT500, not the ZL1, and my son had an M3 Conv, 6-speed manual. The M3 has NO low end torque, therefore I didn't much care for it. He ran a 13.87 with it, not to impressive. I have raced a 2014 GT500, both of us on street tires , I have raced 2 stock ZL1's (1 auto, 1 stick) , beat the ZL1's easy, ran about even with the GT500 (I was .06 quicker but had .3 on the tree so I won by 3 car lengths) all at the legal races on the Famoso Drag Strip. The interior on the CTS V, the rear seat legroom and the trunk capacity were the winners for me. It looks great in my opinion and is blazingly fast. Last time out on drag radials, tune, ported TB and AIRAID CAI, it ran 11.70 @ 121.4 mph (dyno 525 rwhp). Best by far for my money!

I have a 2012 CTS V Coupe 6-speed manual....absolutely my choice. I have driven the GT500, not the ZL1, and my son had an M3 Conv, 6-speed manual. The M3 has NO low end torque, therefore I didn't much care for it. He ran a 13.87 with it, not to impressive. I have raced a 2014 GT500, both of us on street tires , I have raced 2 stock ZL1's (1 auto, 1 stick) , beat the ZL1's easy, ran about even with the GT500 (I was .06 quicker but had .3 on the tree so I won by 3 car lengths) all at the legal races on the Famoso Drag Strip. The interior on the CTS V, the rear seat legroom and the trunk capacity were the winners for me. It looks great in my opinion and is blazingly fast. Last time out on drag radials, tune, ported TB and AIRAID CAI, it ran 11.70 @ 121.4 mph (dyno 525 rwhp). Best by far for my money!

Impressive. I'd like to see what you could do with a GT500.

If you really want a daily it's a easy choice. M3 or the CTSV. Iv driven the gt500 many times and I'm not very impressed with it.

Another vote for the V! Haven't driven a new one but I loved the looks and idea behind the 1st gen V and I'm positive they've only gotten better.
I still love the XLR look but it needs the V engine! I'm sure they haven't been produced in years anyway :confused:

Here's the video of my CTS V vs GT500. My buddy shooting the video is a Shelby owner. On a side note: both the ZL1 and the CTS V have a "no lift shift" programmed into the computer which allows full power shifts without loosing boost. The Shelby does not. I have two friends that had Shelby's and they would loose boost on each shift, also a lot of the new Shelby owners have trouble with the 1-2 shift grinding under power (racing) conditions. These were some of the negatives I found out while doing my research....all which led to the purchase of the V....love the stick shift!

Train man vs Shelby GT500 - YouTube

It begs the question though. Why is the ZL1 so much slower than the CTSVs?

Another vote for the V! Haven't driven a new one but I loved the looks and idea behind the 1st gen V and I'm positive they've only gotten better.
I still love the XLR look but it needs the V engine! I'm sure they haven't been produced in years anyway :confused:

They made an XLR-V, 470ish up, 4.4L northstar with a blower

I believe I may have found what I am looking for...

3a9ugu8a.jpg

Low miles, great condition, all options that I'm looking for (competition, technology, premium).. I told myself when I had my E42 that I would never buy anything other than German performance. Life happened and I had to step down a bit. Went the SRT8 route, then SRT10. After driving an M, I remember why I was in love with the car.

In paper it has nothing on the other cars on my list, in the driver's seat it's a completely different story.

BTW, horsepower freaks are still around. And I can be over 500hp to the wheels fairly safely.

Last edited:
I believe I may have found what I am looking for...

3a9ugu8a.jpg

Low miles, great condition, all options that I'm looking for (competition, technology, premium).. I told myself when I had my E42 that I would never buy anything other than German performance. Life happened and I had to step down a bit. Went the SRT8 route, then SRT10. After driving an M, I remember why I was in love with the car.

In paper it has nothing on the other cars on my list, in the driver's seat it's a completely different story.

BTW, horsepower freaks are still around. And I can be over 500hp to the wheels fairly safely.

I don't think it's the same people as before. I don't know all the details, I have been to there shop in Portland, but something went wrong with them and the guy I know said they were a pain in the ass and their shit broke and he had to ship his car to Portland 3 times on his dime. That is just my friendly warning. DYODD. My shop likes Active Autowerkes
Active Autowerke

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back