In the market for a bike

JeffBoyette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As hypocritical as it may seem, im looking a bike to get around on base. :dontknow:
Saturday i refilled my wifes sebring limited with 42 bucks. Getting back in the car i said "that is rediculous, 42 bucks last you 2 weeks and 400 miles 80 bucks last me a week." She told me to get a beater and i laughed and then got mad. Slap me in the face will you! In the five years weve been together i never come close to mentioning a bike even when we were looking one for our closest friend. Out of the blue she told me to go get a bike. I didnt reply i just froze and tried to let it pass incase i imagined her saying it. 2 minutes of silence shes repeats. Yeah you need to get a bike they get good mileage dont they!

So, as soon as we got home i got my friend and we went looking a bike. I found 2 im interested in. Im so uneducated when it comes to bikes i dont know price performance or anything about them for that matter. The 2 i found are a '05 red hayabusa with 18k miles (matches the truck) for 7k out the door. The other was an 07 gsxr600 with 300 miles on it for the same price. Which would you take and why. Thanks for the advice!

I don't really know much about either of those, I've always had Harleys or choppers.

But I do know that both of them have more than enough power to get you into trouble. First thing you need to do is take a rider safety course. Especially if you are getting onto a high powered bike.

There is nothing more fun than riding if you ask me, but you do need to realize that if not done right, it can be beyond dangerous. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all about riding balls out, what I have in my location is the truth for me hehehe. It's just really important that you understand the abilities of the bike and yourself, and more importantly the lack of abilities of the typical cage driver you will come across.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

sleeper said:
Hey Bob, whats nice big Harley like yours going for these days. I've been wanting one for a long time now.
Depends on if you want new or used. Either way, the market is pretty good for buyers right now, not like a few years back. Mine was 17k new, I think they are around 18 now for the Road Glide. The Road Glide is nice because the fairing is mounted to the frame, on the Electra Glides, it's mounted to the forks. Sometimes that can lead to some wind buffeting.

But in all honesty if I were buying a new one it would be the Street Glide, I love that bike.

But any of the baggers are great. I don't know how I went so long riding bar hoppers everywhere I went hehe.

If you find something you are interested in let me know, I'll tell you all I know about the year/model.

the 2 bikes you mentioned are both crotch rockets.... you sure that's what you want for getting around on base?...

And as Bob said DEFINITELY take the rider safety course... As you can tell by my sig, I opted for a super sport tourer <it's my third bike>... I'm 6'4 so it fits me well... it's plenty fast and as far as bikes go, it's really comfortable...

good luck with whatever you decide.... and stay safe...

The first thing you need to do is make sure the wife is talking about a motor-cycle and not a 10 speed peddler....;)

ill sell you my 01 busa turbocharged for 10k over 25 invested 300 rwhp on race gas 270 on pump built motor carrillo rods je pistons an excellant bike

505'sFastestViper. said:
ill sell you my 01 busa turbocharged for 10k over 25 invested 300 rwhp on race gas 270 on pump built motor carrillo rods je pistons an excellant bike

Nice for a first bike thats definately what he needs!!

Rice bikes are cool I've had 3. Now I have a Harley.
Night and day between the two but let me say this....
More chicks have asked for rides on the harley then the ricers.
just my .02

505's(when my truck is done) FastestViper. said:
ill sell you my 01 busa turbocharged for 10k over actual $25 invested 300 rwhp on race gas 270 on pump built motor carrillo rods je pistons an excellant bike

you call that a deal:D

yeah I want a bike to, but wife knows I will kill myself

Alright first if you have never rode a Crotch Rocket before I would say the 600. The GSXR 600 is a mellow bike. It will not be to comfy though. Great on gas and very light. May be a little small.

The Busa Comfortable. It is heavy. I guess it really depends on how much you are going to ride it. Me I say the Busa.

505'sFastestViper. said:

You including a casket too?? :rolleyes:

Roz-SRT said:
You including a casket too?? :rolleyes:

Yep, it would be like the first car you ever drove was Walt's Viper!!!

OK, don't give it to much gas, now let out on the clutch...dont give it to much gas or OH CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have owned 6 crotch rockets. 2 GSXR750s, 1 GSXR1000, Yamaha R6, Yamaha R1 and a CBR600. I have also owned a Harley 883 Sporster custom and a Big Bear Venom ProStreet Chopper.

For reliability, fuel economy and fun riding go with the GSXR600. The Busa is a great fast straight line bike but the GSXR600 is way more forgiving for corners and new riders. It is PLENTY fast too! I guarantee you will be happy with it. $7G is a bit high for a used GSXR600 though. I sold my 2004 GSXR1000 with 4000 miles and about $3G in aftermarkets for $6500. The guy put 700 miles on it and offered it back to me for $5500. I just don't need a bike as I do not have enough fear of death!!! :rock:

Shop around. If you want a good riding bike any of the GSXRs will be perfect. Try to stay with bikes under 10,000 miles unless they have been pampered and WELL maintained. After 10,000 miles the wearables really start costing some dollars.

As for Harley's. I love the looks and sound and the comradarie that comes with them but they do NOT hold a candle to the rockets in the FUN TO RIDE department.

If you find any bikes you have questions about feel free to PM me with the specifics. I am pretty good at judging a bike's value.

If you dont have any riding exp.stay away from either one of those.Both are VERY fast.Look for a nice cruiser to get around on base.Get a small Hardly if you want to be like every other smug on the planet! or be smart and get a small jap cruiser to learn on and get some exp.Just my .02

Just throwing this out there..Nelson had a fully custom bike he was looking to sell..anyone know if he is still around?..might be more than you are looking for but it was real nice..

JeffBoyette said:
As hypocritical as it may seem, im looking a bike to get around on base. :dontknow:
Saturday i refilled my wifes sebring limited with 42 bucks. Getting back in the car i said "that is rediculous, 42 bucks last you 2 weeks and 400 miles 80 bucks last me a week." She told me to get a beater and i laughed and then got mad. Slap me in the face will you! In the five years weve been together i never come close to mentioning a bike even when we were looking one for our closest friend. Out of the blue she told me to go get a bike. I didnt reply i just froze and tried to let it pass incase i imagined her saying it. 2 minutes of silence shes repeats. Yeah you need to get a bike they get good mileage dont they!

quote]

Are you 2 getting along??? :dontknow: I tell my wife to get a bike when I'm pissed at her... :D She's loaded with life ins...:D :D :D

I love to ride but gave it up in Florida. (Bought the convertible T.A.):rock:
The Canadians & New Yorkers come down in the Crown Vics and use the bikers for target practice!!!:motz::thefinger:

1st bike and just for around the base,,, you should go with a ghey (pink)scooter. 100 MPG and less temptation to go into Hyperdrive like on the crotch rockets. :rock: :rock: :rock: Anyone can ride a Harley, but you have to be one Bad AZZ MOFO to ride a pink scooter...
Just my opinion...
Which is always correct...:D Noone will mess with you on this...
~and~ you don't need gas...:eek: :D
razorama_1995_14369045

You asked.... :D

Well, run away from both. They are made for totally different purposes and all they will do is get your licence taken away. :)

Depending on your capabilities, look at a Yamaha FZ6, Suzuki V-Strom or Ninja 650. Something in those lines.

Not too mention, take Bob's advice and take a Motorcycle safety course.

I have a Yamaha FZ1 and get 45 mpg or more depending. My friends Ninja 650 was getting 60 when we were out breaking her's in.

Good luck on your search.

Wil

Don't buy a sport bike unless your an experienced rider. Get a cruizer or better yet get a car that gets good gas milage. I've been riding bikes since I was a little kid, and I still stay away from riding my bike in high traffic areas. Its not the biker as much as it is the driver of a truck or car that doesn't see you.

sleeper said:
Don't buy a sport bike unless your an experienced rider. Get a cruizer or better yet get a car that gets good gas milage. I've been riding bikes since I was a little kid, and I still stay away from riding my bike in high traffic areas. Its not the biker as much as it is the driver of a truck or car that doesn't see you.

very good advice.:rock: :rock: Blue hairs in florida will kill you if you dont look out for THEM!! U know they wont see you!!!:rock:

Another bike to consider is a Suzuki DRZ400S, especially if this is your first bike.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back