Mopar Kicker Upgrades Really Fit?

Did you guys remove the sub amp underneath the driver's seat after the Kicker sub upgrade?

I left the sub amp under the seat, for now. And just as hard as the bolt in the front amp, is the plug for the front amp. Oh my god!!!!

You guys are just making me want to go back out to the garage and start working on it. Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Trust me the Sound Difference is Worth all the Pain and Hassle.

You may, however, need to go see a Priest and Confess for some of the words that come out of your mouth... :D

wow, this is really good information since i was also planning on upgrade my system....Amp under the dash is a PITA!!!!!!!!!!!! :toilet: i tried once to take it out but i didn't have the right tools so i said f* it lol

And i might go a different route as far as sub\amp and speakers, i did it on my SRT8 and it sounded 100% better:rock:

Da1Chief said:
Here is a Link to the Speaker Amp Installstion... You can get an idea as to the difficulty and the tools needed... :)
SO the is the 77KICK18 and 77KICK18AB the same amp?

I was told that the 77KICK18AB wont work with our trucks? :dontknow:

From him
Ok the RC comes factory with the RCY build code which is the 8 speaker infinity, w/subwoofer and RDQ code which is the 508 watt amplifier. The factory infinity amp has more watts than the kicker one has. Hope this helps

I used this amp b4,77KICK18AB, on my SRT8 and it was 100% better, i also upgraded all 6 speakers and added 2 10's, but now , if u guys used them. i think im gonna go this route....

I finished the fromt Kicker amp installation. All I can say is getting the one bolt and amp out are a bear. It took me at least 2 1/2 hours for something that should take 30 minutes at best. I'm still overwhelmed by the amount of base from the Kicker sub. I'd like to put some sort of adjustment knob inline. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Glad you finally decided to do it and that it turned out so well... At least there will be someone else that can back me up when I tell individuals that it isn't the radio heads it is the speakers and amps that need to be improved... The Kicker system is Really Nice.... :)

That is the ONLY drawback that I have found. Mine Hits almost too hard at times. One guy I work with use to do Professional sound system installs and was completely impressed the the Kicker Upgrade. His only fault was that the Sub was not individually adjustable... :)

I can live with that as the only problem :D

To whoever asked if the 77KICK18AB and the 77KICK18 are interchangeable the answer is yes they are. The difference is that if you have the Overhead DVD player it will shift into Digital Balance mode. If you don't have it then it is a non-issue... :)

Last edited:
Well here is the write up on the Kicker audio upgrade. I went back to the Infinity amp and subwoofer. The overall sound is much improved as now I can get a lot more midbase and not get overwhelmed by the Kicker sub. My setup is a bit unique as I am using the head unit off a 2007 Jeep SRT-8 with a Lockpick which sets the default of the unit in VES surround mode. The VES mode improves the quality of the sound as well as increases the volume. I do however recommend the speaker upgrade as the midbase is much tighter.The plugs on the Kicker dash speakers have to get modified in order to work on the 2006s.

For those of you that stick to the factory head unit, I would recommend upgrading to the Kicker amp simply because it gives you the surround sound option.

I guess the Kicker sub is a matter of preference. If you enjoy really hard hitting base that overwhelms everything else, then this maybe for you.

Last edited:
Da1Chief said:
Yes, I did the FULL upgrade... 77KICK11AB, 77KICK32, 77KICK18AB (Speaker Amp), 77KICK17AB (Sub and Sub Amp). The Kicker Amps actually is what brings the speakers to Life. Instead of a normal 22-24 sound volume I now have normal at 12-14 volume setting. By leaving the center speaker connected I didn't have to deal with the Pos/Neg aspect of the speaker also if you disconnect that would take it out of play as well.

Actually when I ask the Kicker Tech Support they said I could leave it as it or disconnect for more seperation. To them it was more of a personal preference. The guy I mentioned at Kicker ([email protected]) would be better to answer that question, I just know mine turned out fine for me. EVERYTHING with the exception of the Dash Speaker (Tweeter) connections was a Direct Fit and there was NO modifications needed, even the sub box fit perfect. The only part number that changes on the RC is the Sub and Amp that that is P/N 77KICK13.

I got the Sub and Sub Amp from Santeen when he upgraded his system and I got the rest Here (Ask for Ted).

He is a great guy to do business with and is Very Knowledgeable on the Mopar Sound Systems (He is the individual that developed the JET Audio Harness that allows for the install of Uconnect as a Factory Install not the Aftermarket).

I wrote to Ted and never got a response. Do you have a direct contact number for him or email?

I simply went to the Kicker web page and got the phone number for Tech Support... Wish I had a better answer for you but that is how I got to him... :)

his email is: [email protected]

Da1Chief said:
I simply went to the Kicker web page and got the phone number for Tech Support... Wish I had a better answer for you but that is how I got to him... :)

his email is: [email protected]

thanks, that's what I tried, I'll try again.

blackviper said:
Well here is the write up on the Kicker audio upgrade. I went back to the Infinity amp and subwoofer. The overall sound is much improved as now I can get a lot more midbase and not get overwhelmed by the Kicker sub. My setup is a bit unique as I am using the head unit off a 2007 Jeep SRT-8 with a Lockpick which sets the default of the unit in VES surround mode. The VES mode improves the quality of the sound as well as increases the volume. I do however recommend the speaker upgrade as the midbase is much tighter.The plugs on the Kicker dash speakers have to get modified in order to work on the 2006s.

For those of you that stick to the factory head unit, I would recommend upgrading to the Kicker amp simply because it gives you the surround sound option.

I guess the Kicker sub is a matter of preference. If you enjoy really hard hitting base that overwhelms everything else, then this maybe for you.

Hi.. I am looking at this upgrade. What did you mean by you went back to the infinity amp and sub? Does that mean you pulled out the kicker sub and its amp or you did that and swapped the infinity amp back in place of the kicker amp behind the glove box. Looking to understand if the kicker speaker upgrade ( no sub replace) is enough on its own or if the kicker amp in the glove box is needed to get better sound from the speakers...no cash for the kicker sub and the fact that you cannot adjust it separately is a killer for me....Thanks!

Since I have a Lockpic connected to the radio, it puts it in VES mode. The VES mode increases the volume output as well as puts the radio in surround sound mode. This is why I put the Infinity amp back in.

For the stock radio without the Lockpic, it would be well worth the Kicker upgrade is it gives you that surround sound mode.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back