My engine blew up. :mad:

Man what a hard hit :mad: , Have you thought about turning over to your insurnace? :dontknow:

Sorry to hear that. I guess that is the risk of gambling on stock internals. I hope I'm not next.

Sorry to hear this Smoke. No one did more to make the STS work on a stock engine then you did, but in the end it finally bit you. I say go NA, they seem to last a long time that way.

Bill.

If you have ANY inkling or feeling of selling simply put in another motor, pull off what mods you can and sell. As you know the market is horrible, you wont get the money back you'd spend to mod it, best bet is cut your losses.

I know how you feel, cost me well over 10K just to get another motor, old motor and Paxton pulled off, "new" motor put back in and tuned. I did upgrade to forged internals. If you can do it yourself you'll save alot.

If you're gonna build naturally aspirated, you'll be spending a pretty penny for less power. Will you be happy with that after what you've had? If you're gonna build it, do it right or set a gameplan in building it back up in steps or simply put in a stock motor and sell it. Keep the blown motor in case the new owner wants it for something. I still have my blown motor sitting in the garage.

Last edited:
Still don't know what I'm going to do. Thanks for all the words guys. PM sent to Flchub.

BTW Does anyone know the costs to rebuild (stock and forged)?

ViperJeff said:
I do have a question. Was this with STS's new and improved Fuel management system that they have been promoting?

VJ

I'm not sure what the new and improved fuel system is for the STS but I'm guessing it is exactly like my set up. I had larger injectors, 2 bar map sensor and was tuning with the SCT. The issue now is not the fuel, it is the overboosting problem. That and the large amount of backpressure.

Hilgee said:
Did it go ker plunk of huff? Did you have stock inturnials??

Engine was stock except for the larger injectors. Wasn't a huff sound. More of like marbles in a trash can sound.

Cowboy-Up said:
Have you thought about turning over to your insurnace? :dontknow:

I don't think my regular car insurance will cover the engine? :confused:

Damn Scott. I'm sorry to hear. . .

You could possibly delete your thread and PM one of reputable folks that work at a dealership and see if some magic can be done. . . . ?

All of your options seem like smart ones. . . I'm not sure I would be-rid the truck (depending on damage).

At any rate, I hope it all works out for ya bud. You've put alot of time and efforts into your truck.

Roz-SRT said:
You could possibly delete your thread and PM one of reputable folks that work at a dealership and see if some magic can be done. . . . ?

Truck is past the 36/36000 miles.

kyle's srt10 said:
He has 3 08' motors also:D :idea: :idea:

I thought I heard there are some problems with the 08 motors and b/c of it Chrysler has stopped production on the Vipers right now. Anyone else hear that?

flchub said:
i sold mine on ebay but the guy hasnt paid,he has til sunday ,also have another member who wants to buy it,but if they dont come through u can have mine for 5k complete

This might be my best bet. PM sent.

Edit: If I bought his engine, what would I do with mine?

Last edited:
FlyingLow said:

Put it on an engine stand and build it as the funds become available! :rock:

FlyingLow said:
This might be my best bet. PM sent.

You could sell the parts off it that are still good and probably get some decent money back out of it. I.e. Intake, heads (if they are still good), valve covers, exhaust manifold, water pump, injectors, etc. You get the point. I am sure somebody out there would want the parts sometime or another.

Without going crazy I went to Mopar parts America and looked at the price for a couple of parts just to give you an idea (Bold is their price). If you were to take 30 percent (just a number out of the air) off the total of just these four prices for the items below you would make $2,366.90

Cylinder head, ram - 8.0l (2003) 8.3l (2004-06) - 8.0L (2003) 8.3L (2004-06) 04-05 $967.00 $643.80 X2 = $1,287.60

Valve cover, ram, all - 8.0l (2003) 8.3l (2004-06) - 8.0L (2003) 8.3L (2004-06) 2005 $120.00 $88.19 x2 = $176.38

Intake manifold - 8.3 liter 2005 - 8.3 liter 2005 2005 $2,050.00 $1,365.30

Oil pan - 8.3 liter 2005 - 8.3 liter 2005 2005 $800.00 $552.00

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your motor smoke. When did you start getting boost spikes, I thought yours was running pretty steady @ 5 PSI. That kinda makes me wonder if I should conitnue to screw with mine. I was going to start ordering my forged internals at the end of this month (hafta wait to see what happens at work, having union problems, I may be looking for a new job).

Fiancially speaking, rebuilding your engine with stock internals will probably end up the cheapest way to go, depending of course, on how much damage was done.

I am sorry about your engine, but man, you were rolling the dice on the turboed engine. Something that one shouldn't do unless they can afford the breaks that are going to happen.

SlvrSnake said:
I thought I heard there are some problems with the 08 motors and b/c of it Chrysler has stopped production on the Vipers right now. Anyone else hear that?

Apparently some of the '08's have a programming issue that Dodge says they're working on. A promised fix is due early this week. Rumors have it that shipping of new cars is held up but there has been no confirmation

SlvrSnake said:

Just readin up on some '08 issues not so much with the motor but perhaps the ignition system? A few cars drive fine then suddenly wont go above 2500 rpm or so.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back