My engine blew up. :mad:

Wow Scott I am sorry dude. Your STS system lasted so long, your truck seemed unbreakable..............sorry man.

I believe its time to put the STS to bed.......unless $ is not an issue and it seems it is.........dump the STS and buy a used engine. Maybe flchub can sell you his. Slvrsnake has some good points too...........sell off parts to recoup your cost of the used engine.

patrick

SlvrSnake said:
You could sell the parts off it that are still good and probably get some decent money back out of it. I.e. Intake, heads (if they are still good), valve covers, exhaust manifold, water pump, injectors, etc. You get the point. I am sure somebody out there would want the parts sometime or another.

Without going crazy I went to Mopar parts America and looked at the price for a couple of parts just to give you an idea (Bold is their price). If you were to take 30 percent (just a number out of the air) off the total of just these four prices for the items below you would make $2,366.90

Cylinder head, ram - 8.0l (2003) 8.3l (2004-06) - 8.0L (2003) 8.3L (2004-06) 04-05 $967.00 $643.80 X2 = $1,287.60

Valve cover, ram, all - 8.0l (2003) 8.3l (2004-06) - 8.0L (2003) 8.3L (2004-06) 2005 $120.00 $88.19 x2 = $176.38

Intake manifold - 8.3 liter 2005 - 8.3 liter 2005 2005 $2,050.00 $1,365.30

Oil pan - 8.3 liter 2005 - 8.3 liter 2005 2005 $800.00 $552.00

There is no way he could get that out of those parts:( I have had a stock intake for sale at $400 and no takers yet:dontknow: (TNVIPER) sold a set of cylinder heads for $800 a few weeks ago I believe;)

Sorry to hear about the motor Smoke.....last of the Mohicans:D Lasted 100 times longer then anyone else though :( I say turn the old motor into a Viper planter :p Over time I have sat and watched almost everyone who is not NA blow up in some form or another. Simple fact is these engines are not meant to be anything other then NA. But whatcha gonna do Boyz and their toyz ;) :D These engines although manly sure are wimpy if you know what I mean. I personally would buy a new motor and go with all forged internals and keep it NA. Golf and racing are rich man's sports....If you don't have the coin stay outta the game. Instead of trying to keep up with the Jonses, stay running longer :D

P.S. look at it this way bro, you are a Maverick. Still the only guy I know that can pilot a desk ;) :rock: :rock:

kyle's srt10 said:
There is no way he could get that out of those parts:( I have had a stock intake for sale at $400 and no takers yet:dontknow: (TNVIPER) sold a set of cylinder heads for $800 a few weeks ago I believe;)

I wasn't saying he could just giving an example. The point is trying to recoupe whatever he can from the loss by selling parts. You made $800, better than $0, right?

By the way that sucks FlyingLow. Hopefully, things work out for you.

SlvrSnake said:
I wasn't saying he could just giving an example. The point is trying to recoupe whatever he can from the loss by selling parts. You made $800, better than $0, right?

Wasn't trying to pick a fight;) Just saying that along with truck sales on this site parts from the engines aren't selling well either right now:(

kyle's srt10 said:
Wasn't trying to pick a fight;) Just saying that along with truck sales on this site parts from the engines aren't selling well either right now:(

It's all good, didn't think that.:rock: You're right though Viper parts aren't really a hot commodity?

Sorry to hear about your engine.

I would do some research on the cost of rebuilding it stock before I bought another one.Just my .02

Hope you find a workable solution soon.

i'm hating it for you.

as others have suggested, i'd rebuild with stock components and go back to NA.

Sorry to hear Smoke......I remember when you put the system on the truck.....hell there were many of us looking at the system but you purchased and put it on and had some great times.....we all enjoyed the kill stories and the runs at the strip.

Rather than being up-set with what happened remember the good times you have had with the truck......as Mikey said you are a maverick for being one of the first.

I would take the system off and return the truck to stock and drive it.....sell the system on Ebay for what ever you can get for it and continue to have some fun with the truck..:)

Walt

Give me a few hours to get the heads off this today and I'll get back. As with every boosted failure on a V-10, the piston ring lands are gone. So it sounds like a forged piston is all that needs to go back in to keep it safe. The billet rods are only needed if a guy is going for big numbers.
My vote is for a forged piston and 10-12 psi using the stock rod.

msdnga said:
Give me a few hours to get the heads off this today and I'll get back. As with every boosted failure on a V-10, the piston ring lands are gone. So it sounds like a forged piston is all that needs to go back in to keep it safe. The billet rods are only needed if a guy is going for big numbers.
My vote is for a forged piston and 10-12 psi using the stock rod.
just one?

Smoke, this engine (the STS) has caused you more problems than anyone deserves. I have nothing against STS, but their application for our trucks has been a disaster.

Buy a used engine, put it in and enjoy the stock truck. These engines are not serial numbered and there will be no down side. If you try to recoup your costs from your modifications you will be going down a dead end street. Modifying these trucks is a hobby not an investment. Every dollar invested in horsepower is for your pleasure, and in nearly every case will never be regained in a resale.

You asked about a stock rebuild cost: about $8K.

Forged rebuild: $12K to $16K.

If you are going to exceed 7 or 8 lbs of FI (other than the STS) you will need to be forged.

If expense is your primary concern...buy a used engine...trade the truck in on a low mileage or new one...take a hit on the trade, but get a truck you know and can trust. There are still a few new ones available.

Scott, Sorry to hear about this latest turn of events..That really sucks..As others have said, In my opinion its time to dump the STS..
As far as the rebuild goes, if it is only #3 piston that is damaged, you might be able to get by with replacing just that piston for the time being. Of course this will depend on what damage has been done. While this is not the ideal solution, it would allow you to get the truck running until you decide what to do with it. .Im sure Marty will have a better idea of what you need to do soon. Good luck in whatever you decide..

You can have one of my used Stock rods with a Diamond piston on it.

Sorry to hear that Scott :( I hope you can work something out. Agree with the others that I would bag the STS and sell it.

Let me go against the grain here..........

Bone just offered you a forged piston. I'd throw that in there and hopefully you don't have any head damage to be fixed. Now all you are out is Marty's labor.

I personally think that your truck lasted because you had a nice rich and safe tune in there. SO, IMHO I'd throw Bones forged piston in there PUT YOUR NICE SAFE tune back in and count myself lucky that the situation could be remedied with one free piston. :rock:

i agree with vprtruck....put in the forged piston or pony up for a set and let marty finish up his tune and you'll be a happy camper!

ViperTruck2933 said:
Bone just offered you a forged piston. I'd throw that in there and hopefully you don't have any head damage to be fixed. Now all you are out is Marty's labor.

:

I didnt know that was even an option............. and certainly worth a try.

patrick

Smoke sorry about the deal bo, had the same thing happen remember?:D

I can even post up a pic of what your piston will look like:D :D :D :D

Depends on what you want to do tho Smoke the rods in these trucks absolutely suck, need a pic?:p

the pistons suck:p

and I also told you , you need a boost controller;) dummy:D :D :D

We all learn, and sometimes its the hard way, mine cost 20k, so dont think I'm just ribbing you:D

If ya do it, do it right, dont shortcut, if ya go back N/A, still dont shortcut a few things.

She lasted a really long time, and like most of us:D ya jsut couldnt leave it alone:p

Stinker said:
Smoke sorry about the deal bo, had the same thing happen remember?:D

I can even post up a pic of what your piston will look like:D :D :D :D

Depends on what you want to do tho Smoke the rods in these trucks absolutely suck, need a pic?:p

the pistons suck:p

and I also told you , you need a boost controller;) dummy:D :D :D

We all learn, and sometimes its the hard way, mine cost 20k, so dont think I'm just ribbing you:D

If ya do it, do it right, dont shortcut, if ya go back N/A, still dont shortcut a few things.

She lasted a really long time, and like most of us:D ya jsut couldnt leave it alone:p

I am with Stinker on this. I just rebuilt mine and went all the way. (granted I had to fix a Hennessey cluster f#$k) I found out my piston had to much clearance in the sleeves so I ordered a new set. My old pistons are JE and are fine if you wanted to machine your block to fit them. I could get them to you cheap. In the build I used ARP stuff everywhere and Conetic gaskets everywhere. If there is no major damage done you could get away with a $5000 rebuild. If you have some friends in the right places.:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back