My new 10 feels SLOW

Greg Z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked it up today, never drove one before. It runs smooth and drives perfect but just doesn't seem to have the power it should. If I roll into it hard at 5mph it won't even break them lose. I did a 4k clutch dump just to see and all it did was leave 2 pretty long blackmarks but did not cause a smoke feet by no means at all. Is this normal? How can I tell if my truck is up to par? I will PM my number to anyone who may be able to help me better on the phone rather than in words typed. Thnx, Greg Z

No, that is not normal. Something is wrong, you will need to get it looked at by someone that knows these trucks.

Bill.

You have a pretty impressive collection of power. You may be used to the feeling?:dontknow: I can't imagine an 06 RC feeling slouchy. Is it stock? I know aftermarket sound alone will make you feel better.

they are slow...5000#'s is tough to get moving...

EMT/SRT said:
You have a pretty impressive collection of power. You may be used to the feeling?:dontknow: I can't imagine an 06 RC feeling slouchy. Is it stock? I know aftermarket sound alone will make you feel better.

Good point here, it's all relative....if you are used to toys that have the same HP as the 10, but only have half the weight, it will feel slow.....if you typically drive stock trucks or lesser sports cars, it will blow your doors off.....it is by far the most fun for your buck in it's current price point....you have 500 peak hp, and over 5k pounds.....it's all a matter of hp to weight....

If you have a local member close by, have them stop by....take turns driving each truck, it will tell you exactly what you want to know....

Greg Z said:
I just picked it up today, never drove one before. It runs smooth and drives perfect but just doesn't seem to have the power it should. If I roll into it hard at 5mph it won't even break them lose. I did a 4k clutch dump just to see and all it did was leave 2 pretty long blackmarks but did not cause a smoke feet by no means at all. Is this normal? How can I tell if my truck is up to par? I will PM my number to anyone who may be able to help me better on the phone rather than in words typed. Thnx, Greg Z

Since I no longer have my truck, I may be one of the few who will be completely candid on this subject.... Here's my dirty little secret. And I will leave soon thereafter, rather than being scorched by the VTCOA masses....

As soon as I got my truck, I wanted to see what she had.... I was disappointed...... very disappointed in the lack of seat'a the pants suckage that I got.... Yet, when it was dyno'd, I was at about 425 rwhp.... normal.

For this reason, I got a Paxton..... THEN my visage and expectations were fulfilled.... Woo Hoooo were they ever fulfilled.... there's just enough improvement to give to all the extra goose one needs for normal levels of expectation.... and good old hot rodder type fun. You'll be able to smoke the tires in virtually any gear.... I hit second a few times and did a 360 cuz I hit it too hard....

You gotta remember that this truck is....well...a truck.... a brick truck... And if you expect it to give you the same thrills as your 928, it ain't gonna happen unless you (prudently) mod it up....

But remember that without a forged bottom end (about 10 grand) increasing rwhp higher than 600 (again unforged) is an engraved invitation to the "Kablooey Klub"....

Vaya con Dios....

D

Last edited:
Yeah get her to a dyno and it'll help with knowing where to start.

yeah get it checked out i can roll into first at pretty much any speed and light them up easy and my truck had the 4.10 gears

Begood said:
By the way, I like the name of the city you live in.

Bill.
Its an alright city, but the VA hospital there sucks big time:mad:

Ok everyone, thnx for the replies. I m stopping over in Mobile, Al. for a quick bite and a lil rest. Still posting from phone so plz excuse spelling and such.

It was mentioned that maybe I expected it to be faster because of my other cars. Well, I don't think its a negative because I understand the hp to wieght issue because I own/have owned so many cars. The thing is I can feel the difference between a 13 sec or 15 sec truck. Also thats why i did the rolling punch and the clutch drop. Because the power the V10 puts out should have boiled the tires IMO. I stead it left two healthy black marks and a lil bit of smoke and took off like a 300 hp vehicle.

Heres the urgency of the matter. I have the truck but have till Monday to pay him needless to say if there is something pricey wrong with the truck i do have an out. But his truck will be 15 hrs away from him!
So I'm wondering what i can do over the weekend to determine if there is an issue or not with this truck we do not have a local Dyno close

Greg Z said:

The first thing you should do is: Unhook the battery cable and reset the computer. If the previous owner drove it real easy if programmed itself for that driving habit.
Unhook for 30 minutes and re-hook it back up and drive the shit out of it for a few miles. Mine is 100% stock and I can spin a chirp hitting 3rd gear. I unhook mine about every 2-3 months for the hell of it and keep it where I know it should be.
I have no problem breaking sideways and smoking the living shit out of the toyo proxes st in 1st and a good second and a nice chirp hitting 3rd.
Has the truck had a flash to the computer?
I was dissapointed also at first, then I woke it up after about 25k miles and unhooking the battery.
Hope this solves your problem.
If it does solve your problem then the previous driver drove it pretty easy which is a good thing to know...

Greg Z said:

What year and is it a qc or reg cab...Is it 6 speed or auto?

power

How many miles on the viper ram? tires also play a part, are they new, scorp zeros, 168 mph are really soft harder to lite, 200 mph scorps are lit much easier! having said my little 2 cent, turbo or super charge???:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back