My new 10 feels SLOW

Greg Z said:
I just picked it up today, never drove one before. It runs smooth and drives perfect but just doesn't seem to have the power it should. If I roll into it hard at 5mph it won't even break them lose. I did a 4k clutch dump just to see and all it did was leave 2 pretty long blackmarks but did not cause a smoke feet by no means at all. Is this normal? How can I tell if my truck is up to par? I will PM my number to anyone who may be able to help me better on the phone rather than in words typed. Thnx, Greg Z
Never mind...I see it is a 6 speed...

500snakz said:
The first thing you should do is: Unhook the battery cable and reset the computer. If the previous owner drove it real easy if programmed itself for that driving habit.
Unhook for 30 minutes and re-hook it back up and drive the shit out of it for a few miles. Mine is 100% stock and I can spin a chirp hitting 3rd gear. I unhook mine about every 2-3 months for the hell of it and keep it where I know it should be.
I have no problem breaking sideways and smoking the living shit out of the toyo proxes st in 1st and a good second and a nice chirp hitting 3rd.
Has the truck had a flash to the computer?
I was dissapointed also at first, then I woke it up after about 25k miles and unhooking the battery.
Hope this solves your problem.
If it does solve your problem then the previous driver drove it pretty easy which is a good thing to know...
ok
i just pulled over on the side of the road and disconnted it. Ill let you know soon.

Greg Z said:
ok
i just pulled over on the side of the road and disconnted it. Ill let you know soon.
wrong...now it has to learn everything again. Good luck

You are welcome to stop by here and drive my truck!

Last edited:
I am new owner of a 10 as well . I can make my truck light up the tires in first with a modest clutch dump any time I want to . At this point the truck us usually trying to walk sideways off the side of the road. While spinning in 1 I can slam second and keep the tires cooking . If I hold first out It will eventually catch and go.
If I let the truck fully engage in 1 gear , then hammer on I get modest tire spin but the damn thing just takes off.I was kinda dissapointed at first until I looked at the spedo and realized just how quick I was moving the needle. I also have new tires on the rears so that my help.

Just wanted to give my 2 cents.

Brandon

Last edited:
Have you field checked the clutch...50 mph in fifth gear...go WOT and see if the clutch hooks or does the engine race but not much acceleration? Could be your clutch is slipping...do the field test...let us know.

You said you are in Mobile, al. My shop is in Pensacola, FL and if you are afraid something is wrong with it I can go in on Sunday and open up and we can put it on the dyno to double check. I'll be at a race tomorrow, but could look at it Sunday. Just let me know if I can help.

Somethings wrong here.:dontknow:

Mine will toast the tires at will. :burnout:
No dumping of clutch just hit the gas and smoke city.:dontknow:

"Stock '05 RC without any power mods"

Prof said:
Have you field checked the clutch...50 mph in fifth gear...go WOT and see if the clutch hooks or does the engine race but not much acceleration? Could be your clutch is slipping...do the field test...let us know.
this is probably your answer greg, alot depends on how many miles it had, and how it was treated, the previous owner can tell you one thing, but do another,

more than likey you are fine engine wise, ALL these trucks react differently adn dyno differently, jsut dont expect to lite the tires on command, some will some want.

but the clutch is the weak link in the system, if it has over 15,000 it is a very good possiblity;)

Maybe your parking brake is on! Ha! Had to say it.. Good luck, I hope its nothing major!

Prof said:

clutch is good.

andrew heywood said:
How many miles on the viper ram?

Greg Z said:
ok

this didn't seem to help

Westxsrt10 said:

!
Great because when I got home I dissconnected again to let it sit overnight.

John02SS said:
You said you are in Mobile, al. My shop is in Pensacola, FL and if you are afraid something is wrong with it I can go in on Sunday and open up and we can put it on the dyno to double check. I'll be at a race tomorrow, but could look at it Sunday. Just let me know if I can help.

Darn, wish all this woulld have aligned for us Fri. evening when I was there, but I'm back in Alexandria now.

Stagethree said:
Somethings wrong here.:dontknow:

Mine will toast the tires at will. :burnout:
No dumping of clutch just hit the gas and smoke city.:dontknow:

"Stock '05 RC without any power mods"

this is what I have read on this Forum many times and why I am worried.

clutch

I would keep the truck, do the clutch upgrade,stinker has all the specs, I think the stock components are a bit lower grade, compared to actual viper, slave, etc etc........... let us know!!:)

Greg Z said:
I just picked it up today, never drove one before. It runs smooth and drives perfect but just doesn't seem to have the power it should. If I roll into it hard at 5mph it won't even break them lose. I did a 4k clutch dump just to see and all it did was leave 2 pretty long blackmarks but did not cause a smoke feet by no means at all. Is this normal? How can I tell if my truck is up to par? I will PM my number to anyone who may be able to help me better on the phone rather than in words typed. Thnx, Greg Z
Its also possible your truck has something that is very desirable around here

TRACTION!:D

are there any mods done to the truck? its like all vehicles change the air filter and the exhaust and you will be amazed.

I would either start with a dyno run ($100) or a quick trip to the track to see what your trap speeds are. Perception is different in these trucks. If you ride in a little 2 seater car low to the ground it seems like you are going fast when in reality you are not. It is the opposite with these trucks. Sometimes they seem like they are slow but in reality they are moving out. I agree with the others on basics. Filter, spark plugs, etc.

I can't believe you were in P-cola and didn't let us know. Start a thread next time maybe we can meet up for lunch or dinner.

Westxsrt10 said:

You are welcome to stop by here and drive my truck!
It has to learn now from beeing driven hard and not milked for gas milage. YES it does change. I know first hand.

Greg I doubt very seriously if there is anything wrong with your truck;)

if the clutch is not slipping then most likely you are fine, reset the computer and give it hell:burnout:

Alot of the QC owners should be able to relate to this, the very first time you drive a 10 you expect tire boiling experience, well , it just dont happen sometimes:D

They are a tad slower than what you would expect and by 06 they had pulled timing on the bottom end to "take care of the clutch problem";)

bone stock you should dyno 420 or above on a n RC,

but its soo true, some are very very different than others, you can take two QC's or RC;s same mods, linem up side by side, and one will flat out leave the other, and no reason why:dontknow:

but just deleting the cats, help emmensly on these trucks

take it down a 1/4 mile track...the trap speed will tell you the story!

is it also possible the tires are warm and the pavement has a good amount of heat in it?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back