Power Shifting the RC

Prof

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wonder how many of you power shift (i.e. no clutch, just right arm)?

I have never done this due to my current traction problems when I let the clutch out too quickly at WOT...but with the new Stinker Detroit Locker rear end and Cal tracs I am interested in who does it...has any one done time slip analysis of the advantages of power shifting?

Just read an article that says modern transmissions can handle this abuse without too much problem...scares me!

Right foot on the WOOD........left foot split-second to-the-floor....yank 2nd...never lifting right foot.....repeat for 2nd to 3rd shift.........;) :dancing:

I wish I could...it just goes up in smoke in second, third, and fourth if I do that...no chirping, rear end coming around, smoke, and no go...

Who power shifts? Anyone?

Prof said:
Who power shifts? Anyone?

I do in the red truck, but I do not have your HP.

Caltracs and a sticky tire will help your situation.

Roy after the rear end change over, your choices of tires will be unlimited and you can get "HOOKED UP".
Probably a 33 x 11 x 15 Hoosier will fit. I am not sure yet but I think so. I will be having Bogart make me some wheels after I get the rear end in and then we can get some traction.

unless you've exchanged the syncros for specially machined spider gears, power shifting isn't going to work. the gears will not mesh at different RPM's. and the RPM's will not come down at full throttle.

I have a 10.0 second car and I shift it like a gramma.

AWDisuzu said:
unless you've exchanged the syncros for specially machined spider gears, power shifting isn't going to work. the gears will not mesh at different RPM's. and the RPM's will not come down at full throttle.

I have a 10.0 second car and I shift it like a gramma.

he's right you probabley could do it, but not a great idea. Joe Liberty (libertysgears.com) makes the kit for t56, you can power shift but its only made for upshifts, meaning drag racing.

Just install a 75lb flyweel, dump it at idle to 2000 rpm and push the pedel as far as traction will allow. When power shifting just back the gas off a little to take load off tranny[no clutch] and it will go right in gear, and no you will not lose any rpm or bog when you shift. The heavey flywheel keeps all the torque and Rpm's stored for you:D

Lots of great input, Jack keep me posted on what wheels and tires you end up with...I noted that 1fast400 used Hoosier...and recommended them.

A "true" power shift(no clutch used), is very hard to do in these trucks. I have managed a few, let the gas off just enough to unload the gear, than slam it into the next gear while mashing the gas and holding on... Thats hard on the tranny. Now if you want a "fake" power shift then keep the gas to the floor and tap the clutch as you slam into the next gear NEVER LIFTING OFF THE GAS!, I am totaly stock and when I do that on the road I lose traction, but at the track I am fine. Just remember when you do that it will bump off the rev limiter and make you shift light go crazy(just for a second). Thats how I shifted on my 12.9 pass.(After some quick pointers from SVTFreak).

fastblksrt said:
Foot never comes off the gas pedal.

I am beginning to think maybe I should let off just a bit, to keep the juice from activating during shifting. Anybody at WOT during the shifting while spraying. I wonder what effect this has on the tranny , or motor if any. >:dontknow: :dontknow:

The reason I asked the question was an article in National Dragster Weekly...where the comment was that modern transmissions handle the power shift pretty well.

fastblksrt said:
I am beginning to think maybe I should let off just a bit, to keep the juice from activating during shifting. Anybody at WOT during the shifting while spraying. I wonder what effect this has on the tranny , or motor if any. >:dontknow: :dontknow:

Believe the risk there is over revving.....I wouldnt pwr shift when running NoS unless it was a small shot <50.

I have power shifted (1st-2nd) mine a few times and ended up just roasting tires. Most of the drag race trannies I have seen have straight cut gears and a different synchronizer setup than what is in our rigs. The key to not ruining the trans is finding the best RPM to shift at to minimize the stress on the synchronizer. It is just like anything else though...The more you beat on it, the more you will be turning wrenches. I would not expect the T56 to last 100K miles power shifting it. There is also the rev limiter and mashed gears issues for those that aren't good at it.

-Muzzy

As soon as the rev limit engages it shuts off the fuel, if your spray when that happens the motor will go lean, just not good... There were a few people that had problems with the hemi's hitting the limiter on Nx and blowing the motor seconds later...

FSTJACK said:
I do in the red truck, but I do not have your HP.

Caltracs and a sticky tire will help your situation.

Roy after the rear end change over, your choices of tires will be unlimited and you can get "HOOKED UP".
Probably a 33 x 11 x 15 Hoosier will fit. I am not sure yet but I think so. I will be having Bogart make me some wheels after I get the rear end in and then we can get some traction.

can we see the pic's of your rearend again sir.

fastblksrt said:
That's asking to blow the motor up. You only need to miss the shift once with the juice flowing :( Hitting the rev-limiter on the juice is not good.

IMO power/speed shifting my be fun to do, but you gain little to nothing. I never felt it was worth the risk of missing the shift or breaking something.

Stingray said:
That's asking to blow the motor up. You only need to miss the shift once with the juice flowing :( Hitting the rev-limiter on the juice is not good.

IMO power/speed shifting my be fun to do, but you gain little to nothing. I never felt it was worth the risk of missing the shift or breaking something.

That's comforting to me! Since you may have to be my driver in the near future...I think my truck is going to fire me as the driver...

Whitesnake said:
can we see the pic's of your rearend again sir.
You need to be more specific. May may not get what you expect.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back