RPM Issues

ltnate3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need a little help. Truck ran fine on 8hr round trip from St Louis to Indy this weekend but this morning after it warmed up I noticed the engine surging a little when I stopped at a light. It didn't matter if I was in drive or neutral. I've already changed the IAC and the TPS a couple of months ago...any advice would be great! Oh and it's only 25 degrees here!!!!

It needs a t56 swap. That should take care of all your woes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Need a little help. Truck ran fine on 8hr round trip from St Louis to Indy this weekend but this morning after it warmed up I noticed the engine surging a little when I stopped at a light. It didn't matter if I was in drive or neutral. I've already changed the IAC and the TPS a couple of months ago...any advice would be great! Oh and it's only 25 degrees here!!!!

Could just be the PCM learning due to the drastic temp change. Also you can look at coolant temp sensor reading to ensure its close to ambient on cold engine.

I guess I didn't do enough homework...just read a post that a hose to the throttle body could be cracked causing a vacuum leak. I'll check that too.

It's not uncommon for us to have 60 degree variances, day to day, and I've never heard of this?

I notice every year when it gets to 30* and back up to 70*
Always richer during colder weather as its programmed in the PCM. Can cause some surging from the richness. This is primarily in open loop but can carry over into closed loop depending on ltft's

I notice every year when it gets to 30* and back up to 70*
Always richer during colder weather as its programmed in the PCM. Can cause some surging from the richness. This is primarily in open loop but can carry over into closed loop depending on ltft's
Cool. Good to know, thanks!

Ok after driving for a little longer it seems the surge has stopped once I put it in neutral, however, as long as it's in drive and I'm stopped it's bad to the point of stalling. Also I now can smell rotten eggs (And no it's not my A$$). Could these be related?

Rears are gone...I did change over to the Rotella T6 a while ago. I wonder if this is causing the problems? Maybe I should just remove the mid cats too???

Again for some reason you're dumping excess fuel and its causing your surge. That why you smell you're catalytic converters working hard to burn off that excess fuel. If its surging that bad some code should be thrown. Check cycling key as well as SCT code reader. Sometimes they won't show same codes ;)
Do try switching back to stock tune as well and see how it does.
Otherwise could be a failing O2 sensor or sticking injector.

Again for some reason you're dumping excess fuel and its causing your surge. That why you smell you're catalytic converters working hard to burn off that excess fuel. If its surging that bad some code should be thrown. Check cycling key as well as SCT code reader. Sometimes they won't show same codes ;)
Do try switching back to stock tune as well and see how it does.
Otherwise could be a failing O2 sensor or sticking injector.

Thanks I'll check those out...actually died on me once I got home so maybe there will be a code.

So first attempt at pulling the codes by cycling the key and got nothing. Then tried to pull codes with SCT and nothing again. Ok tried to return PCM to stock and SCT said it failed. Tried again and it failed again. Then I checked codes and now I'm getting a P0601...yes I know this is terrible

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back