Toyota Stands behind their cars

GADodgetech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100204/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_dealers

With all the recent hype over Toyota have sticking gas pedals and people getting freaked out about it, Toyota is definatly backing up their reputation. They are giving their dealers extra money to make house calls and hire new employees to help handle their recall situation. I worked for Toyota for a few months in the summer of 09 and I saw them dump thousands of dollars into vehicles that were worth maybe a few hundred. As much as I dislike foreign cars, Toyota definatly is a top notch company and stands behind their work :rock:

TNVIPER said:
I think they reacted too slow....from what I am reading this may cause them some serious backlash....
From what I understand it all started when a police officer in california ( I think) was killed along with 3 other people when the gas pedal jammed in a camry. Toyota suspected the floor mats to be the cause, but I'm guessing they ditched that idea :dontknow: But if it were me I think I would have enough time to throw the car in neutral.

GADodgetech said:
From what I understand it all started when a police officer in california ( I think) was killed along with 3 other people when the gas pedal jammed in a camry. Toyota suspected the floor mats to be the cause, but I'm guessing they ditched that idea :dontknow: But if it were me I think I would have enough time to throw the car in neutral.

Hard to say what you would do when caught off guard....my first car was a 69 Impala with a 350 - 300HP....floored it one time showing off and the motor mount broke...this caused the engine to turn in the engine bay holding the throttle wide open....After doing a hell of a burnout holding the brake I ended up in a yard...did finally pull together and turn the ignition off.........that broken motor mount was one of the first recalls in the automotve history...

" Toyota Stands behind their cars "

Did you expect them to stand in front of thier cars :confused: :p :p :D

With sticking gas pedals, :dontknow: I'd stand behind a Toyota too... :laugh:Way behind.

GADodgetech said:
It was a Lexus es 350 in San Diego. Sticking petals are not a issue in the lexus' and only in a few camry's. I work in the georgetown plant where almost all the us camrys are built. there are to seperate plants in the building only one of them was using cts petals. I'm still building cars every night with 1+ hours of ot

i say B.S. to toyota standing behind their cars......... :(

first, they say it's the floor mats, then a sticking gas pedal cable, now they're sending a piece of metal to wedge into the pedal linkage........please.:rolleyes:

none of that crap causes cars to suddenly accelerate.... i think they need to look harder into that electronic throttle control (more expensive to fix, don't ya know ;) )......... if they keep screwin' around with this, they're only helping the domestics..... :)

http://blogs.findlaw.com/injured/2009/12/toyota-throttle-at-fault-in-2009-recall.html

:(

Last edited:
GADodgetech said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100204/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_dealers

With all the recent hype over Toyota have sticking gas pedals and people getting freaked out about it, Toyota is definatly backing up their reputation. They are giving their dealers extra money to make house calls and hire new employees to help handle their recall situation. I worked for Toyota for a few months in the summer of 09 and I saw them dump thousands of dollars into vehicles that were worth maybe a few hundred. As much as I dislike foreign cars, Toyota definatly is a top notch company and stands behind their work :rock:

You should know and I agree that they have gone well beyond what any other manufacturer has ever done. It sets a new level of performance for auto manufacturers, and it will be difficult for future recall efforts to do less and that is good!

I heard yesterday that Toyota is giving an extra stipend to dealers to provide extra compensation to do things like car washes, pay overtime and even hire additional people during the recall rush...Toyota regardless of the time frame, has decided to do this right...

Hard to know how you would react until it's happened to you. My dad had a 62 Corvette when I was younger. I was driving it with my parents following behind. I floored it and the pedal stuck with the throttle wide open. I tried stomping on the gas pedal to no avail, panicked and stood on the brakes locking the front tires at over 100mph. Finally came to my senses and killed the engine, I was 17 years old. Turned out the decorative distributor cover had shifted slightly and would catch the throttle cable when the engine torqued over during WOT. Luckily there were no other cars around.

My mom or my girlfriend would have likely panicked and wrecked in a similar circumstance. It's a wildly out of control feeling.

Toyota is doing the right thing now but likely will pay a price for their slow reaction and resulting deaths, as they should. I've never been a fan of drive by wire, things like this solidify my belief.

My dad bought a 2010 avalon were still waiting on any call from toyota on what to do. I do like their temporary fix though for the time being " put it in neutral and stand on the brake" I'm sure 90% of people will panic and freak out and have no clue what to do. At least they are not trying to blame the problem on something else and actually are going to fix it.

Well, here is the way I see it. I have a 1979 Ford F150 and a 1969 Dodge Dart. The Dart is a garage queen so I really am going to count it out.
The Ford is used (not daily) but does run great and has a good solid frame.
My piont is...
Toyota does not have any 1979 trucks that have frames. Their problems are still evident in the newer trucks with frame issues. My Uncle had a 2005 that was ready to fall apart the rust was so bad.
Build it right to start with and it will last!!!
Now, did they buy them back - yes and that was awesome but the problem is continuing. Why do they not spend a little more in production and save money buying vehicles back? I guess this just doesn't make $cents to me???

my 95 gmc has an electronic throttle. every now and then after 250,000 it would jump to full throttle for 2 seconds or so. lucky for me the brakes are bigger then the engine. i would hate to be coming down a 8% grade and have it happen. but then i downshift to begin with.
i think this could be a software issue. i dont remember what car i rented but one would not powerbrake. as soon as you step on the brake the throttle cuts out, might have been the mustang... or the 300.

Prof said:
You should know and I agree that they have gone well beyond what any other manufacturer has ever done. It sets a new level of performance for auto manufacturers, and it will be difficult for future recall efforts to do less and that is good!

I heard yesterday that Toyota is giving an extra stipend to dealers to provide extra compensation to do things like car washes, pay overtime and even hire additional people during the recall rush...Toyota regardless of the time frame, has decided to do this right...
Thats the point I was trying to get across, they are willing to pay dealers alot extra to help make it right. I love the american car companies to death, but they wouldnt go the extra mile like toyota is doing right now. ;)

kennygene said:
Well, here is the way I see it. I have a 1979 Ford F150 and a 1969 Dodge Dart. The Dart is a garage queen so I really am going to count it out.
The Ford is used (not daily) but does run great and has a good solid frame.
My piont is...
Toyota does not have any 1979 trucks that have frames. Their problems are still evident in the newer trucks with frame issues. My Uncle had a 2005 that was ready to fall apart the rust was so bad.
Build it right to start with and it will last!!!
Now, did they buy them back - yes and that was awesome but the problem is continuing. Why do they not spend a little more in production and save money buying vehicles back? I guess this just doesn't make $cents to me???

He should have taken his truck in and got it repainted if it's rusting.... they have a 6 year/unlimited mileage rust warranty on trucks. :dontknow: I've had two Tacomas and never had any issues with rust. And, they spent most of their time in mud holes. :eek:

GADodgetech said:
Thats the point I was trying to get across, they are willing to pay dealers alot extra to help make it right. I love the american car companies to death, but they wouldnt go the extra mile like toyota is doing right now. ;)

Niether would Toyota. After trying to pass the problem off as a floor mat issue
the Government is breathing down thier necks............

Then there is the Prius issue :( :( :(

includemeout said:
Niether would Toyota. After trying to pass the problem off as a floor mat issue
the Government is breathing down thier necks............

Then there is the Prius issue :( :( :(

It was my understanding the floor mat issue was separate, and involved Lexus only. :confused: :dontknow:

..... They are also blaming a Elkhart, IN supplier for the gas pedal issue. :rolleyes: They may have MADE the part, but didn't Toyota DESIGN the part? :mad:

Black1 said:
It was my understanding the floor mat issue was separate, and involved Lexus only. :confused: :dontknow:

..... They are also blaming a Elkhart, IN supplier for the gas pedal issue. :rolleyes: They may have MADE the part, but didn't Toyota DESIGN the part? :mad:

Yep, designed , tested, and installed by Toyota :( :( :( Not as responsable as Roy may assume I fear.
Floor mats too :mad:

http://www.product-reviews.net/2009/09/29/toyota-recall-list-of-models-affected-by-floor-mats-issue/

Toyota Recall: List of models affected by floor mats issue
By: Alan Ng | Posted: September 29, 2009 | 33 Comments
Filed under: Autos

It has been reported that Toyota are finally taking action against the number of complaints over floormat issues with certain models, by announcing a recall of 3.8 million vehicles.

As reported from AutoBlog, this is by far the biggest recall that the auto giant has had to make in the U.S. The news comes after the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration issued a statement to all owners of Toyota and Lexus models from 2004-2010, informing you that you may need to send your vehicle in for recall.

The issue at hand here, which a lot of you already know about, is all to do with the floormats on some of the Toyota models. As you can see in the image above, the problem can cause the accelerator pedal to get stuck in a wide open throttle position and wedge itself against the floormat – which is obviously a major safety issue.

The models affected are the 2004-2009 Prius, 2005-2010 Tacoma, 2005-2010 Avalon, 2006-2010 IS 250 and IS350, 2007-2010 Camry, 2007-2010 ES 350 and 2007-2010 Tundra.

they would not do anything they didnt have to. thats why they are being investigated now. they knew it and did nothing. woops!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back