What is the Viper market going to do?

WOT said:
Actually, it has nothing to do with marketing. Here's a description of what it means for those interested (shameless cut & paste from another site):

"Hypereutectic" refers to a metallic alloy which has a composition beyond the eutectic point. In materials sceience, the word eutectic refers to a specific ratio of chemical composition at which the constituent elements will form a single, homogeneous phase when cooled. Above or below this ratio, separate chemical phases will form during cooling due to insolubility of one constituent in the other. Most metals are not eutectic, and have different phases present in their cooled form. Hypereutectic pistons are made of an alloy of aluminum which has much more silicon present than is soluble in aluminum at the operating temperature. Hypereutectic aluminum has a lower coefficient of thermal expansion, which allows engine designers to specify much tighter tolerances.
The most common material used for automotive pistons is aluminum due to its light weight, low cost, and acceptable strength. Although other elements may be present in smaller amounts, the alloying element of concern in aluminum for pistons is silicon. The point at which silicon is fully and exactly soluble in aluminum at operating temperatures is around 12%. Either more or less silicon than this will result in two separate phases in the solidified crystal structure of the metal. This is very common. When significantly more silicon is added to the aluminum than 12%, the properties of the aluminum change in a way that is useful for the purposes of pistons for combustion engines. However, At a blend of 25% silicon there is a significant reduction of strength in the metal, so hypereutectic pistons commonly use a level of silicon between 16% and 19%. Special moulds, casting, and cooling techniques are required to obtain uniformly dispersed silicon particles throughout the piston material.

Just in case anyone wanted to know....

In other words not a forged piston...right?

Never had any issues, leakdown and compression perfect. 20k miles, 10k boosted and over 800rwhp on pump.

Prof said:
In other words not a forged piston...right?

No, not really.

While it is true that they are not forged, standard cast (non-forged) pistons are not always hypereutectic. So one does not equal the other. I'm just sayin'......

Hypereutectic pistons are not forged because the forging process causes the silicon to come out of solution. And standard el-cheapo cast pistons (non-forged) are just plain ole cast aluminum parts but are not high silicon hypereutectic alloys -- so, they not forged but also they are not hypereutectic.

Hypereutectic pistons are a specific alloy and must be cast (as a necessary evil) in a special process to produce the pistons.

Last edited:
I can buy that! So does that mean that since I have hypereutectic alloy pistons, I should not worry about them if I push them beyond the current nine lbs of boost? The ZR1 has forged pistons and only pushes 11 lbs of boost...

(talking about my LSA engine....

hypereutectic pistons were in 00-02 vipers and have proved more reliable than the crap thats in there now...i would think you would be safe at 100-125 hp above stock in the caddy. i wouldnt push much past that, maybe 2 -3 more pounds(boost) than stock with a good tune.

fyi...i am interested in the caddy to, how is it overall?

Considering a Lingenfelter pulley for it in the spring...that should be within the parameters you listed.

BurntRubber said:
fyi...i am interested in the caddy to, how is it overall?

Very simply the finest vehicle I have ever had...way beyond the Mercedes sedan I had...much stronger than the Porsche I drove for several years...and within 3 tenths of a second of my truck.

A high 11's four door supercharged sedan, with a 100,000 mile warranty...handles like a sports car...

556 hp 551 ft lbs tq...off the show room floor...

There are some '09's left, you can get one in the mid $50's...

They got upper 70's for mine.

Total of 3,535 09's made.

There are two new ones in the pipe line: a coupe V2 and a Wagon V2.

You might be interested in the 6 speed manual...

Mine is the automatic 6 speed...with four different shifting options: auto, competition auto, manual, and paddle shifters.

Auto is electronically limited to 185...manual is a 200 mph vehicle. My cruise control sets at 160...it may work higher...but I was pissing in my pants at 160.

Thinking about getting the Wagon V2 for the wife...but she is still thinking about the Tesla...

Prof said:
My cruise control sets at 160...it may work higher...but I was pissing in my pants at 160.

WOAH were you doing this on public roads?
bad old guy, bad!

my old 300zx would not set cruise over 85.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/

There have been two or three guys on the above web site...that have gotten great deals...

While not as cheap...check out Superior Cadillac...they ship all over the country.

Your best bet is to find someone that has access to Meinheim Auctions...tell them what you want and it will surface on their computer files.

scoobert said:
WOAH were you doing this on public roads?
bad old guy, bad!

my old 300zx would not set cruise over 85.

I had a hemi ram and it was the same...not over 85 or 90...

Prof said:
Very simply the finest vehicle I have ever had...way beyond the Mercedes sedan I had...much stronger than the Porsche I drove for several years...and within 3 tenths of a second of my truck.

A high 11's four door supercharged sedan, with a 100,000 mile warranty...handles like a sports car...

Mine is the automatic 6 speed...with four different shifting options: auto, competition auto, manual, and paddle shifters.

Auto is electronically limited to 185...manual is a 200 mph vehicle. My cruise control sets at 160...it may work higher...but I was pissing in my pants at 160.

Thinking about getting the Wagon V2 for the wife...but she is still thinking about the Tesla...
GoodGodamighty Roy, what were you thinking???

Prof said:

Prof you preach on safety and street racing then go out an do this?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
A 160mph with cruise on you could have easily killed someone dude!:dontknow:

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
Prof you preach on safety and street racing then go out an do this?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

He who is without sin, let him have the first head-on.......-1st Timothy 20:09...

D

Last edited:
JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:

yeah these are the people behind global warming BS, hypocrites. you know how much CO2 that released? how many children you could kill? what if a school bus pulled out in front of you? and your grandkids were on the bus? you dont think before you act...

if i am speedy and reckless i will proudly say screw you i speed like i want.

Sounds good, I am thinking maybe in 2 years trying to find a nice used one. i am putting about 2000 miles a month on my 300C so doesnt make sense to nuy new.

heres how i see it

pick the stupid one of the 2

-doing 160 in a pick up truck
or
-doing 160 in a caddy

-opening the car up on the empty highway by yourself (not racing)
or
-reaching 160 because both drivers are idiots and needed to go up that high

-people like scoobert drving
or
-a person like Prof driving

What prof said was taken out of context. We are all car junkys and like

speed. Euro based cars(inclduing the CTSv) were made to be able to safely

do high triple digit speeds on the autobahn.

Some of us now are more mature about when to slam the pedal down and

not every single time some idiot throws a rev at you..

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back