wtb rear gears 4:56 or 4:88

carpoor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a set of rear gears in 4:56 for my 04 Rc .

Last edited:
4.88's are barely drivable with any mods! Have you driven one with 4.88's?

No I have not . I think your right though I should most likley just go with 4:56. I was told 4:88's are fine but I think I am with you. I was on the fence about going that route. And you just pushed me back.

I have not driven a 4.88, but i have driven 4.10's & 4.56's. 4.56's run out of gear in my opinion. Every time I raced a r/c with 4.56's they went from 3rd in my Viper I was in 2nd, sometimes 1st.

BurntRubber said:
4.88's are barely drivable with any mods! Have you driven one with 4.88's?

I have to disagree, I have 4:88's and have a ball driving mine!! I will match up with anyone up to 110!! I really don't have any need to go faster than that right now!! No tracks around here!!

You will shift more, but I like shifting!!:D :D :p ;)

I will have my stock 05 QC axle (4.56) available for sale in about 8 weeks. Let me know if you are interested.

Bought my 4.88's from Unitrax http://gounitrax.com/ and I wouldnt change a thing. I love them. If you plan on FI then maybe they are not for you.

BurntRubber with all due respect as you stated, you have never even driven a truck with 4.88's.......:dontknow:

Choosing a gear is not a right or wrong decision............its whats best for your application. So define your needs and long term goals. When I was trying to make up my mind I spoke with the owner of Unitrax and when I told him I lived on Maui his words were "absolutly get the 4.88's". We dont have freeways here so I spend most of my time under 60 mph. With that being said, at 60 mph is when I shift to 6th gear...........with the stock gears I never used 6th. Now I use 5th in traffic all the time. With the 4.88's you shift a lot............but that is why I bought an RC. Truck feels a thousand lbs lighter with them. Truck is very torquey and will lite em up big time with very little throttle with my mods.

Keep asking questions and get the input from others with 4.88's and 4.56 gears. Kit from Unitrax was around $350.

patrick

Last edited:
mauiSRT/10 said:
Bought my 4.88's from Unitrax http://gounitrax.com/ and I wouldnt change a thing. I love them. If you plan on FI then maybe they are not for you.

BurntRubber with all due respect as you stated, you have never even driven a truck with 4.88's.......:dontknow:

Choosing a gear is not a right or wrong decision............its whats best for your application. So define your needs and long term goals. When I was trying to make up my mind I spoke with the owner of Unitrax and when I told him I lived on Maui his words were "absolutly get the 4.88's". We dont have freeways here so I spend most of my time under 60 mph. With that being said, at 60 mph is when I shift to 6th gear...........with the stock gears I never used 6th. Now I use 5th in traffic all the time. With the 4.88's you shift a lot............but that is why I bought an RC. Truck feels a thousand lbs lighter with them. Truck is very torquey and will lite em up big time with very little throttle with my mods.

Keep asking questions and get the input from others with 4.88's and 4.56 gears. Kit from Unitrax was around $350.

patrick

Well stated Patrick :rock: :rock: :rock:

Thanks for the input Maui . What about trap speeds in the 1/4 I would like to stay in 4th on the big end. I dont want to go FI I have other vehicles for that. So N/a is what I am staying with.

mauiSRT/10 said:
I have not run at the track with them yet. According to the list I believe the 4.88s' can run up to 110 mph in fourth.

patrick

If you look at the timeslips section mid 12s trucks were turning ~110MPH...excellent times..

Wifey said:
Here's a link to take a peek ..... :D ;) Check out Trainman :)

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/timeslips.php?

Exactly my point...train has a 4.56 and did a mid 12 at 110MPH...a moderately modded truck with 4.88s should be able to see mid 12s assuming 4th = a max of ~110mph.................on the other hand a built truck should stick with the 4.56s ...

BurntRubber said:
I just don't see traction with 4.88's...I could be wrong. My viper had the same time as trainman with my first run and a 2.19 60', my trap speed was 117mph...oh thats 3rd gear!!!:D

Caltrak's and Drag radials:rock: , the Viper is geared a bit differently than the trucks and is lighter too :D :D

If your switchin the 4.10s out def go with the 4.88. It really makes the 6th gear useful and will make just crusing around town alot easier..
Their is really no sense in swithin to the 4.56s

FerrariTruck said:
If your switchin the 4.10s out def go with the 4.88. It really makes the 6th gear useful and will make just crusing around town alot easier..

A man of true insight, I fully agree:rock: :rock: :D :D :D

FerrariTruck said:

Sure there is...its called forced injection...

While Marc has 4:88's with his Roe TSTM, I think in a quarter mile he will have to shift one more time than I have to with my 4:56 and a Roe...an extra shift in a quarter mile contest is a huge disadvantage...I think...but I am often wrong...

Prof said:
Sure there is...its called forced injection...

While Marc has 4:88's with his Roe TSTM, I think in a quarter mile he will have to shift one more time than I have to with my 4:56 and a Roe...an extra shift in a quarter mile contest is a huge disadvantage...I think...but I am often wrong...

I think your spot on Roy, I would have to shift into fifth assuming I could hook up and didn't run the dreaded 14 sec run that has haunted the Ram SRT-10.:D

I don't plan on buying any Slicks so if I did go to the track and crossed the line at 110 on street tires I would be happy!!:elefant:

But 99% of my driving will be on the road so my 4:88's suit me fine. Another plus is clutch life. :burnout:

Wifey said:
Caltrak's and Drag radials:rock: , the Viper is geared a bit differently than the trucks and is lighter too :D :D

I rn SRTBrad's truck at the track, with caltracs and slicks, launched a 3500rpm and blew the tires off in first, short shifted to 2nd and spun the for about 30 feet. That was after a burn out!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back