Question? X-metal shifter

Begood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People have posted that they can't make the X-metal shifter quiet. I have found a way that shuts it up completely, I have posted this before but for some reason not enough people see it. If people want to know, post up here and I will post it again. And yes, it shuts it up like a final divorce shuts up an ex wife. Alex forgive me.:D

Bill.

mopower1958 said:
What is the cure Bill? I have the pistol grip shifter installed solid and it is noisy but does not flex around like the original. By the way are you and Alex coming to the Mopar Nats?
No I can't make the Nats this year, sorry.

Bill.

this has to go somehwere neet, hold on Bill, let me get a beer first.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ok ready:D

*POPCORN*

Don't be a tease, tell us, I'm interested being a Gen-X driver, though, I don't find it to be very loud/annoying.

OK, here it is but remember it is a lot easier to tell you this over the phone than it is to write it down, at least for me.

First you must go to an auto glass replacement company and buy 1 tube of auto glass replacement urethane and 1 bottle of pinchweld primer that is made by the same company that made the urethane. Note: NOTHING else but auto glass replacement urethane will work, if you try silicone or anything else you are wasting my time for writing this and your time for trying it.

Next remove the shifter handle from the shifter and clamp it in a vise or anything that will hold it steady. Now take the pinch weld primer and prime the metal of the shifter handle where the handle makes contact with the shifter, and on the opposite side where the head of the bolts contact the handle. Let the primer dry for 15 minutes.

Next take the urethane and apply it the the areas that you primed. You want to form a coating of urethane 1/8" on both flat sides of the handle (the side that touches the shifter and the side that the bolt heads clamp down on). Try to make the coating of urethane as flat and as smooth as you can. Do not fill in the bolt holes or you won't be able to bolt the handle back on to the shifter. Now, you must let that urethane dry completely, it will take about 2 days. YES, I MEAN 2 DAYS! If cut corners or don't let it dry correctly and it still makes noise you have no one to blame but yourself.

While the urethane is drying go to the hardware store and buy 2 flat washers that are about 1" to 1.25" inches in diameter. The washers must have the correct size hole to fit the bolt snuggly. You will notice that when you put the washers on the bolts and align them up with the handle that the bolts over lap, and one will ride up on top of the other. You MUST grind the washers so that they don't ride on top of each other. You want them to butt up against each other without riding on top of each other. Now that everything is completely dry bolt the handle back onto the shifter, Tighten the bolts down REAL tight, and go back and retorque them after one days use. If you don't make the bolts tight enough the handle might move around. When I say real tight, I mean as tight as you can without stripping the threads.

If you did everything like I said the shifter will make NO noise anymore.

If any of you have any more questions, you can contact me at my work monday through friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM eastern time at 586-781-2899.

I know this will make the shifter STFU! It sure as hell did on mine.

Bill.

Last edited:
Cool!..now send me some of that shit your talking about.:D

Great. Now you need to take your shifter apart and take some pics. That way all us dumb dumbs can get a visual. :D

All kinding aside you think this will work on the B&M Shifter as well?

Begood said:
OK, here it is but remember it is a lot easier to tell you this over the phone than it is to write it down, at least for me.

First you must go to an auto glass replacement company and buy 1 tube of auto glass replacement urethane and 1 bottle of pinchweld primer that is made by the same company that made the urethane. Note: NOTHING else but auto glass replacement urethane will work, if you try silicone or anything else you are wasting my time for writing this and your time for trying it.

Next remove the shifter handle from the shifter and clamp it in a vise or anything that will hold it steady. Now take the pinch weld primer and prime the metal of the shifter handle where the handle makes contact with the shifter, and on the opposite side where the head of the bolts contact the handle. Let the primer dry for 15 minutes.

Next take the urethane and apply it the the areas that you primed. You want to form a coating of urethane 1/8" on both flat sides of the handle (the side that touches the shifter and the side that the bolt heads clamp down on). Try to make the coating of urethane as flat and as smooth as you can. Do not fill in the bolt holes or you won't be able to bolt the handle back on to the shifter. Now, you must let that urethane dry completely, it will take about 2 days. YES, I MEAN 2 DAYS! If cut corners or don't let it dry correctly and it still makes noise you have no one to blame but yourself.

While the urethane is drying go to the hardware store and buy 2 flat washers that are about 1" to 1.25" inches in diameter. The washers must have the correct size hole to fit the bolt snuggly. You will notice that when you put the washers on the bolts and align them up with the handle that the bolts over lap, and one will ride up on top of the other. You MUST grind the washers so that they don't ride on top of each other. You want them to butt up against each other without riding on top of each other. Now that everything is completely dry bolt the handle back onto the shifter, Tighten the bolts down REAL tight, and go back and retorque them after one days use. If you don't make the bolts tight enough the handle might move around. When I say real tight, I mean as tight as you can without stripping the threads.

If you did everything like I said the shifter will make NO noise anymore.

If any of you have any more questions, you can contact me at my work monday through friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM eastern time at 586-781-2899.

I know this will make the shifter STFU! It sure as hell did on mine.

Bill.
will have to put this on my "to do" list..... thanks bill !:)

LitemUp said:
Great. Now you need to take your shifter apart and take some pics. That way all us dumb dumbs can get a visual. :D

All kinding aside you think this will work on the B&M Shifter as well?
Yes it will. The reason is, urethane comes out of tube, but hardens until it becomes like tire rubber. So it will stop all harmonics coming up through the shifter.

You can buy this at any place that does auto glass replacement. A tube should cost about $7.00, and the primer should be about $5.00.

I took Turtle for a ride in my truck this past weekend, and I had commented to her that this is one of those "noisey" X-metal shifters. She listened for a little while and said "I don't hear any noise". This does work.

As far as posting pics, I wouldn't be able to do that until this weekend, but if you guys want me to I will take pics for you.

Bill.

Thanks mate, I have printed this off and will take it to the shop where my truck is. Hopefully it works!! :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back