GOOD NEWS! and bad news!!!!

kyle's srt10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well first off I haven't been posting much lately because I have been busy with work. Getting married in 3 weeks also:rock: and let me just say that I am stressed to the max:(

Ok so here it goes. I had planned on taking my truck to PPJ for a tune but he is backed up until July:( I had heard and spoke with Josh from Xtremauto in Memphis several times and he had told me last week that he could get me in May 16th at noon which was today:rock: So I decided rather than to wait to go ahead so I could get my truck straightened out with a good tune;) I showed up and the place is just top notch:rock: I left my sheets in the truck but I'll post up some pics tomorrow;)

These numbers are corrected and with 4.88's
Baseline pull 6deg card no water meth 503/500 4.5-5lbs boost
He told me that I had lost boost because of the cam swap I had done previously:dontknow: This was the mildest card that comes with the kit and that's all I have been able to run because it was to lean;)

Now the final #'s with the pulley swap and all the tuning.
601/600:rock: 6.5lbs boost

Ok so here it goes again:D I drove the truck because it was a beautiful day and it needed some miles on it:D It was about 300 mile round trip. So I get about 5 miles from home I had just dropped my buddy off at his truck and headed to put mine back up. When I eased onto the on ramp to the interstate and shifted from 2nd to 3rd and give her a gentle SQUEEZE:D and then at about 3500-4000rpm's BANG CLANK CLANK CLANK smoke going everywhere couldn't even see the truck:( :( WTF!!! I said loudly to myself:banghead: This can't be happening right now:(

Details where to start guys?:dontknow:
I have some oil on the driverside fenderwell and more on the passenger side but it's not a whole lot:dontknow: The underside of the truck doesn't have oil on it at all:confused: There was a puddle on the ground below the exhaust pipes:dontknow: So I guess it all came through the exhaust or most of it anyways:( So is this # 3 piston,rod,head gasket or what could it be:confused: :dontknow: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

THIS IS NOT A JOKE SO DON'T ASK:(

try an find where the oils coming from it could be a number of things. what i would do would be find where the oils coming from if its a head gasket you should be able to find it...if you cant find leak or a blown gasket id drop the oil pan an check everything out..make sure it all looks good..or well b4 you drop the pan..check to see if theres any metal in the oil..should tell you alot..

Incredibly sorry to hear this!

As I recall you have been running lean...if that is the case, you have been living dangerously close to the edge. Detonation is the danger...that is why the engine pulls timing when things don't seem right, which enriches the air/fuel mix.

I am astonished that you were on a dyno without a good tune...Kyle, the bible says: Good Tune = Zoom. Bad Tune = Boom! I had no idea that you were driving it at all hard. Without a tune, a FI engine is a bomb waiting to explode, seriously...when you said that you scared your wife to be, I thought you might have run it up to 3500 or so...anything over 4000 without a tune is high risk activity.

The bang worries me, and the first thing that came to mind was the #3 hole.

Call me...asap.

On another issue. I have long held my tongue on this, but Joe at PBJ has been behind for a long time. Arrange to work with him at your own risk. I have never heard a negative word about his work, but his ability to produce completed product on time is highly suspect. Just my opinion based on my personal experience. I arranged to have him pick up my truck for 8 or 10 thousand dollars of work in November of 07. He was to get the vehicle on Jan 7, 08. I returned early from a Florida trip to meet him...well that did not happen, and as the end of March approached he could still not give me a pick-up date, so I moved the work to someone else. I suspect that he is a great wrench, but not a person who runs a very tight shop.

Please don't take my word for it, but consider my comments before you place your trust in his ability to meet deadlines.

you got the vec 3 or the sct ? sounds like the piston came apart. id start by taking the spark plugs out on that side and taking a look at it, then go from there.

If and when you pull the engine down, you will find that ring lands cracked on many of the pistons...the usual fate of a FI engine that has not been forged.

damned Kyle... sorry. But WHY in the hell do you guys swap pulleys if you KNOW it's gonne blow the pistons to scrap ???????????????????????????????????????????????????:confused: :confused: :confused: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

i think common sense by now is that the stock setup from ROE is the MAX without forged internals.... :dontknow: :D

PS i'm sure if it would be safe ... ROE had given us that pulley in the first place....

belgiumbarry said:
damned Kyle... sorry. But WHY in the hell do you guys swap pulleys if you KNOW it's gonne blow the pistons to scrap ???????????????????????????????????????????????????:confused: :confused: :confused: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

i think common sense by now is that the stock setup from ROE is the MAX without forged internals.... :dontknow: :D

PS i'm sure if it would be safe ... ROE had given us that pulley in the first place....
i agree, im running seans tunes, i havent even had it dyno'd, would love to see what it makes. its plenty fast for now. if i ever start wanting more the bottom end will be the first thing to get taken care of. i think for now im gonna run it just like it is. she aint smokin or using oil so it's all good.

Prof said:
Incredibly sorry to hear this!

As I recall you have been running lean...if that is the case, you have been living dangerously close to the edge. Detonation is the danger...that is why the engine pulls timing when things don't seem right, which enriches the air/fuel mix.

I am astonished that you were on a dyno without a good tune...Kyle, the bible says: Good Tune = Zoom. Bad Tune = Boom! I had no idea that you were driving it at all hard. Without a tune, a FI engine is a bomb waiting to explode, seriously...when you said that you scared your wife to be, I thought you might have run it up to 3500 or so...anything over 4000 without a tune is high risk activity.

The bang worries me, and the first thing that came to mind was the #3 hole.

Call me...asap.

On another issue. I have long held my tongue on this, but Joe at PBJ has been behind for a long time. Arrange to work with him at your own risk. I have never heard a negative word about his work, but his ability to produce completed product on time is highly suspect. Just my opinion based on my personal experience. I arranged to have him pick up my truck for 8 or 10 thousand dollars of work in November of 07. He was to get the vehicle on Jan 7, 08. I returned early from a Florida trip to meet him...well that did not happen, and as the end of March approached he could still not give me a pick-up date, so I moved the work to someone else. I suspect that he is a great wrench, but not a person who runs a very tight shop.

Please don't take my word for it, but consider my comments before you place your trust in his ability to meet deadlines.

My truck was running lean on all the cards but the 6deg card W/O water/meth;) This was the card I have had in it the past two months and I've put about 800 miles on it no problems at all. I just thought it felt weak! Which it was on that card 500rwhp.
Josh made at least 15 pulls on the dyno yesterday and they all went well so why on my way home the first time I wanted to get in it a little it went BOOM:dontknow: He had told me to not beat it up unless the engine temp was below 200;) It was at 170-180 WTF? It wasn't wound tight or even near peak boost yet:dontknow: Thats why it bothers me:(

I'll give you a call later Roy;)

belgiumbarry said:

I knew this guys I'm not blaming anybody:D It was only making 6.5lbs:dontknow: George (blackiper) is running 10lbs on his stock bottom end QC:dontknow: My truck only has 6k on it. The motor had been perfect I didn't even have a bit of blow by alot of you talk about.

Kyle what have you actually checked?

Did ya drive it home or tow it?

There is no telling what it might be, so dotn jump to conclusions.

was there knocking afterward, need more info:D

Stinker said:
Kyle what have you actually checked?

Did ya drive it home or tow it?

There is no telling what it might be, so dotn jump to conclusions.

was there knocking afterward, need more info:D

I have not checked anything yet;) It was getting dark and I had to call a wrecker to come get it:( Had to take the front bumber off just to load it up!:banghead: As soon as I head the noise and started seeing the smoke I turned the ignition off;) So I don't know if it will run still or not:dontknow: I didn't really want to try and mess things up even worse:(

kyle's srt10 said:
I knew this guys I'm not blaming anybody:D It was only making 6.5lbs:dontknow: George (blackiper) is running 10lbs on his stock bottom end QC:dontknow: My truck only has 6k on it. The motor had been perfect I didn't even have a bit of blow by alot of you talk about.

ok, sorry , i'm gonne say it...

you can't blow a engine on ghey wheels....:p :p :D ....:eek: ;)

damn kyle that sucks. but if it makes you feel better mine is sitting in my shop waiting for tom sessions to look at it. the last time i drove it the oil pressure droped and the eng was making some noise. i think its just a colappsed lifter as does tom but im gonna have him tare it apart. shit he cant lookk at it until next friday, its been sitting here since tuesday last week:( i hope your problems art too bad.

perk_1405 said:
damn kyle that sucks. but if it makes you feel better mine is sitting in my shop waiting for tom sessions to look at it. the last time i drove it the oil pressure droped and the eng was making some noise. i think its just a colappsed lifter as does tom but im gonna have him tare it apart. shit he cant lookk at it until next friday, its been sitting here since tuesday last week:( i hope your problems art too bad.

Thanks Bro;)
It looks like it may be sitting for awhile:( I am going to try to at least find out what it was today and tomorrow. It just sucks we were looking at buying a house after the wedding and now I'm not sure what will happen:( :dontknow:

first try to determine where the oil came from. if it seems to have come from the exhaust, then it very well could be internal.

but check the block over real well when cleaning it off, make sure no lines are loose.

then from there pull the plugs, pull each one, number them and see if any have debri on them,, that will probably be the tale tale sign.

if you find nothing, then remvove the valve covers, make sure the springs, and the push rods are ok

you should find something in this process bro.

Stinker said:
first try to determine where the oil came from. if it seems to have come from the exhaust, then it very well could be internal.

but check the block over real well when cleaning it off, make sure no lines are loose.

then from there pull the plugs, pull each one, number them and see if any have debri on them,, that will probably be the tale tale sign.

if you find nothing, then remvove the valve covers, make sure the springs, and the push rods are ok

you should find something in this process bro.

Thanks Tony!;)
Would you mind to pm your number so if I have some questions while I checkin it out I can give you a ring:D

no prob bro, 704-214-7849 , if in case i dont pick up , I may be on the tractor doin some bushhoggin, but not gonna do much today but will keep checkin the phone, so leave a message if I dont pick up at first:D

(damn that was alot of typin jsut to say leave messageLOLOLOLOL):p

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back