02 Sensor problems

HOT RAM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I had to put the stock pipes back on the truck due to a ticket , :mad:
I have been getting a CEL
at first it was sensor voltage too low
Now that I have disconnected the rear O2 sensors and hooked up sims
it is giving sensor voltage too HIGH :dontknow: (P0138/P0158)

Any ideas ?

When I had the catless mids on with sims (different sims) it NEVER did this
these are the same style sims,btw

The codes relate to the rear O2's or in your case the sims. Can you swap on the different sims to see if the codes clear? While your under there, check the wiring harnesses and connectors -- check for corrosion, terminal push out, bent terminals, etc. Also, check any grounds (if any are used) for corrosion and tightness. Maybe new sims?

FastRam said:
The codes relate to the rear O2's or in your case the sims. Can you swap on the different sims to see if the codes clear? While your under there, check the wiring harnesses and connectors -- check for corrosion, terminal push out, bent terminals, etc. Also, check any grounds (if any are used) for corrosion and tightness. Maybe new sims?

Thanks !

I let the other sims go with the catless mids

Maybe I could try new O2 sensors ? :dontknow:
this is getting expensive :(

Installed new Bosch sensors (why does the driver side look different and cost twice as much :dontknow: )

anyway,I still got the same codes P00138/P00158

so I re-tried the sims (found the yellow wire from the sims were NOT connected to the white wire on the harness :dontknow: :confused: :dontknow:

so.........I connected them and now have a p0031 code :confused: :dontknow:

HEATER CICUIT TOO LOW

WTF !?????????????

Nelson i havent never forggotten ya buddy,, and off and on have blumbered tthru the manual back and forth , and trying to figure out your prob.

but buddy , i jsut have no answer:dontknow:

this one is puzling, the only thing I can think of is you need to trace the wires back up into the harness as far as you can and see if there is any nicks in the wires:confused:

Nelson, you may need to ring out wiring to make sure you have no shorts and to make sure you have continuity between the ECM and the O2's. I am not sure on your 04 but I assume you can take a meter and check continuity in the wiring with both ends of the harness disconnected. Do you have the service manual for the wiring/pin call outs?

Can't explain the Bosch sensor differences, including price. I know in the 5.7L Chevy world, Bosch sensors for OBDII vehicles is a waste of money, they don't work for long, if at all. May be Dodge sensors are better??

Is your DC flash still installed and does it allow you to switch between rear O2's off and on? Unless your cats are bad, you'll probably need new rear O2's and maybe new front O2's, assuming your running your OEM mids. And if the flash can re-enable the rear O2's, you may want to try this.

Nelson, P0031 is O2 heater circuit 1/1 low. If the wiring checks out, you may need a Chrysler scan tool to check and diagnose what's happening. Or try and wire tie the rear O2's to the frame and plug the rear bungs.

I have tried using the stock original O2's,new O2's,the anti-foulers,and new (sort of) sims.

I have tried O2's in the pipes and hanging free.

At first ,with the original O2's I got a sensor voltage too low code
then with the sims I got sensor voltage too high P00138/P00158
same with new O2's :sensor voltage too high

now after connecting ALL the wires on the sims it just shows heater voltage too low P0031

If I just could find out which sensor P0031 is,I could go from there

Nelson, with most all 04's you can plug your bungs, strap the sensors to the frame (keep the sims on them to protect them from splash) and point them down at least 45 degrees so the condensation will drain out.

To be sure, you should start with new rear sensors...

I have been as stated above since the summer of 06 with no CEL.

Roy

HOT RAM said:
I have tried using the stock original O2's,new O2's,the anti-foulers,and new (sort of) sims.

I have tried O2's in the pipes and hanging free.

At first ,with the original O2's I got a sensor voltage too low code
then with the sims I got sensor voltage too high P00138/P00158
same with new O2's :sensor voltage too high

now after connecting ALL the wires on the sims it just shows heater voltage too low P0031

If I just could find out which sensor P0031 is,I could go from there

P0031 is for circuit 1/1. I think this means the left front O2 sensor. You may need to hook up a Chrysler scan tool to figure out what's going on. I understand there are at least 1/2 dozen causes associated with and depending on which codes you got and of course there are as many tests and troubleshooting steps to try and isolate the problem. To use the scan tool, you'll need to reload your factory tune. I hate OBDII.

i got it,... it was not easy but it u can get to the top of the o2 plug by reaching up from the ground...

all the ck engine light went out, then i start it up today and it tho'in P0141 code

P0141-O2 SENSOR 1/2 HEATER FAILURE - SRT10

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Nelson, it might be your tune. if you replaced the sensors and those codes are still popping up, makes me believe its in the pcm. try putting a stock pcm in and see what happens.

GADodgetech said:
Nelson, it might be your tune. if you replaced the sensors and those codes are still popping up, makes me believe its in the pcm. try putting a stock pcm in and see what happens.

OK

I hadn't tried that yet

I have tried replacing BOTH rear O2 sensors just last night

I am sooooooooo confused with them !!:eek: :mad:

I haven't touched anything on the fronts JUST the backs so I really can't figure it out

Maybe they are all tied together someway ??? :dontknow: :confused: :dontknow:

HOT RAM said:
I am sooooooooo confused with them !!:eek: :mad:

I haven't touched anything on the fronts JUST the backs so I really can't figure it out

Maybe they are all tied together someway ??? :dontknow: :confused: :dontknow:
they read off each other

After re-arranging a few wires (and blowing a few fuses in the process) I am cautiously optimistic that I have finally at long last got the codes cleared :marchmellow: :rock:

I will check it again tonight or tomorrow.

Just in time for Panama City :burnout:

HOT RAM said:
After re-arranging a few wires (and blowing a few fuses in the process) I am cautiously optimistic that I have finally at long last got the codes cleared :marchmellow: :rock:

I will check it again tonight or tomorrow.

Just in time for Panama City :burnout:

Code came back this evening :eek: :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Going to CarMax tomorrow to see what I can get for it

I have LOTS of patience up to a point,then I just lose it :mad:
That point has come.
Tired of messing with it.
If they offer anything over 20k,she's gone :mad:

I had the heater code and tried everything. Took it to the local dodge shop and the tech found a loose wire on the O2 plug. The wire was not on the sensor side but on the side you plug the sensor into. It was on the back and at first inspection it looked fine. He just happened to catch it at the right angle and noticed it was loose.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back