1st mods on stock QC

5280SRT10

Reaction score
I'm thinking exhaust mods 1st (can't afford headers yet). I've searched and found lots of good info. I can't go "cat-less" cause of the Nazi-esque regs in CO! So a good cat-back is first.

Magnaflow or Borla? Or does someone know of another good choice?
Mid pipes? are they a must?

Will I notice a change after the cat-back exhaust? or will it just be "foreplay" until I get the SCT?

Any help is appreciated.

Get an SCT from Torrie first. Best bang for your buck mod for a QC. Try to only do your exhaust once!! (Famous last words!). I am really happy with the B&B set-up that I have now.

I'm thinking exhaust mods 1st (can't afford headers yet). I've searched and found lots of good info. I can't go "cat-less" cause of the Nazi-esque regs in CO! So a good cat-back is first.

Magnaflow or Borla? Or does someone know of another good choice?
Mid pipes? are they a must?

Will I notice a change after the cat-back exhaust? or will it just be "foreplay" until I get the SCT?

Any help is appreciated.

The catback will make a difference that is worth it; just not as much as a tune.

Just start building a list of mods you want to do and start chipping away at it. These trucks are awesome to mod up over time. If you could afford all the mods at one time it would take the fun out of quest!

I can't afford B+B yet cuz I'm working on my 6 speed conversion, but I do have a Borla cat back with Gibson shorties. It sound really deep and clean. It's not as loud as other systems I've heard, but it does talk back when wide open. Especially with a CAI.

Thanks all for your input.
So, tuner first from Torrie.
Cat-back next. Which one?
The B&B looks the best but $1,300.00+ compared to a Borla for around $900.00??? My shallow pockets are telling me Borla.

Stupid question: Will the tuner help with MPG at all? Like it helped on my 06 hemi qc.

Last edited:
I might be wrong, but normally tunes for power consume more fuel not save it. You want to wake it up and save gas? Go with a tuned 6 speed conversion. Many good guys here with tons of knowledge and experience on this that can give you good advise and feedback on it.

Last edited:
The B&B looks the best but $1,300.00+ compared to a Borla for around $900.00??? My shallow pockets are telling me Borla.

Stupid question: Will the tuner help with MPG at all? Like it helped on my 06 hemi qc.

The only thing that I didn't like with the Borla cat back was the single oval tip. I changed to dual tips.

I went from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWGlKhRb3aA&feature=context-cha

To this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67cpuabNQEw&feature=player_embedded

The canned tune may help your mileage a little.

If you are having fun with your new tune and pounding on it, your mileage will obviously drop.

If you are serious about it, arrange to meet with your tuner at a dyno facility and he/she can lean out your part-throttle cruise A/F ratios and that should improve your mileage.

Getting your compression up will also help mileage.

Oldcolt may shed some light on before and after power vs. mileage.

My first (and only) cat-back was a B&B (10 years old now). In my opinion, they have the nicest sound.

Their headers weren't exactly "install friendly" but it was worth the extra fartin' around.

Absolutely get your headers ceramic coated. It will help save all the electrical, hoses and everything else under the hood, over time.

Ronnie

Last edited:
The canned tune may help your mileage a little.

If you are having fun with your new tune and pounding on it, your mileage will obviously drop.

If you are serious about it, arrange to meet with your tuner at a dyno facility and he/she can lean out your part-throttle cruise A/F ratios and that should improve your mileage.

Getting your compression up will also help mileage.

Oldcolt may shed some light on before and after power vs. mileage.

My first (and only) cat-back was a B&B (10 years old now). In my opinion, they have the nicest sound.

Their headers weren't exactly "install friendly" but it was worth the extra fartin' around.

Absolutely get your headers ceramic coated. It will help save all the electrical, hoses and everything else under the hood, over time.

Ronnie

It's true. After the mods to my truck my truck went from 387/410 to 575/585 and I get way better mileage.

Ronnie also get amazing mileage in his QC.......a tank seems to last forever! :D:D:p

It's true. After the mods to my truck my truck went from 387/410 to 575/585 and I get way better mileage.

Ronnie also get amazing mileage in his QC.......a tank seems to last forever! :D:D:p

Never a truer word was spoken... :)

I might be wrong, but normally tunes for power consume more fuel not save it. You want to wake it up and save gas? Go with a tuned 6 speed conversion. Many good guys here with tons of knowledge and experience on this that can give you good advise and feedback on it.

I know you're right and I'd love a 6 speed But I'm limited from a disability. I can't shift with my right hand any more. And I've had experience shifting! I used to drive a BIG TRUCK with 18 wheels. I'm relegated to the automatic transmissions!:(

If your looking for a good bang for your buck, you could go with Belanger headers with a magna-flow cat-back. Do a 3 inch mid pipes...! I like mine very well,

A Magnaflow can be had for much less than the price you listed for the B&B and the Borla.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back