2014 Jeep Unlimited

lightningKILLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calling all JEEP guys, any words of wisdom on the 14 Jeep Unlimited's? Im looking at a loaded Sahara right now. All black, hard top. Have heard good things about the "newer" 3.6 engine.

Any issues, or advice would help a ton!

Thanks!:rock:

Haven't had many issues. A couple 3.6 head replacements, but they aren't too common anymore. Wranglers are a great vehicle and hold their values better than most vehicles.

They are alright, but absolutely expect water leaks. I'm just not a JK fan, or a Wrangler fan for that matter.

We love our 08 and the 14's have so many more creature comforts its almost not like being inside a Jeep. Ours has the 3.8 but we've test driven many 13-14 and I can't feel the huge power difference that's supposed to exist, but ran great regardless. Ours has NO LIFT on 35" Mud Grapplers and goes places most lifted ones can go. It's been 150,000 miles of pure fun. We had a speed sensor, battery, right front axle u joint, rear driveshaft (due to terrible splined design), E-Brake and brake pads. This winter wiper blade froze to windshield and broke linkage which apparently you have to buy the entire motor assembly to get.
Otherwise on our 2nd set of grapplers and she goes anywhere. Great Jeep

And my favorite power mod...get rid of tops and doors :)

Last edited:
We love our 08 and the 14's have so many more creature comforts its almost not like being inside a Jeep. Ours has the 3.8 but we've test driven many 13-14 and I can't feel the huge power difference that's supposed to exist, but ran great regardless. Ours has NO LIFT on 35" Mud Grapplers and goes places most lifted ones can go. It's been 150,000 miles of pure fun. We had a speed sensor, battery, right front axle u joint, rear driveshaft (due to terrible splined design), E-Brake and brake pads. This winter wiper blade froze to windshield and broke linkage which apparently you have to buy the entire motor assembly to get.
Otherwise on our 2nd set of grapplers and she goes anywhere. Great Jeep

And my favorite power mod...get rid of tops and doors :)

Nice JEEP! There are a few dealers around here that do a 3-4" lift with big tires on stock jeeps. I was thinking of just putting a 2" lift on a new stock one, and when those tires are trash replace them with a more aggresive MT. Thanks for the info.

Nice JEEP! There are a few dealers around here that do a 3-4" lift with big tires on stock jeeps. I was thinking of just putting a 2" lift on a new stock one, and when those tires are trash replace them with a more aggresive MT. Thanks for the info.

We do those lifts here, if you plan on doing any wheeling don't do the cheap budget boosts that we do. Get a proper lift and pay somebody else to put it on.

The wranglers are one of the worst built vehicles today in my opinion. All around turds.

Please explain as we've totally enjoyed ours? It's gets offroaded weekly and hasn't complained a bit. :dontknow:
Almost 150,000 miles now

And if you wanted a capable off road vehicle what would you choose/Recommend?
Don't get me wrong, I had an 85' Blazer on 44's and 18" lift that was unstoppable and loved it. The Jeep is so much more off road capable though.

Please explain as we've totally enjoyed ours? It's gets offroaded weekly and hasn't complained a bit. :dontknow:
Almost 150,000 miles now

I agree with you about there off road capability is good but there street driving manners sucks. There unstable, steering is sloppy, very under powered, Interior quality is poor. Not alot of thought or technology has gone into these things. I drove a newer one not to long ago and drove alot like a mid 90's one. I just think for the money ppl are paying for these that will never off road them that they can but alot more automobile some were else. This is just my opinion and doesn't make it right what so ever. I wouldn't drive one if it was free. :D

just to be clear, this conversation only pertains to Wranglers. I love other Jeeps and actually own 4 of them currently.

I think y'all
Must have driven a bad one or something. Yes the interior is cheap, but function able. The engine is underpowered with an auto, six speeds are great. 17.5 mpg on highway on heavy 35's ain't bad. Ours is daily driven and been across the country and even the seats are comfy on long trips. Wandering on road I haven't experienced, even on 35s. Yes they're way overpriced, I agree with that as well.
Overall though I'd recommend one and have.

I think y'all
Must have driven a bad one or something. Yes the interior is cheap, but function able. The engine is underpowered with an auto, six speeds are great. 17.5 mpg on highway on heavy 35's ain't bad. Ours is daily driven and been across the country and even the seats are comfy on long trips. Wandering on road I haven't experienced, even on 35s. Yes they're way overpriced, I agree with that as well.
Overall though I'd recommend one and have.

I daily'd one for awhile and hated it. It was uncomfortable, underpowered, and generally not that great a vehicle to live with. I'm sure they are great off road (which is what they were designed for), but for a daily street driven vehicle, there are many better options available.

Thanks for the info guys, It going to be daily driver and on weekends (when I have time) it will be on light trails, off road. Im looking at 2012's lifted for around the same price a new 2014 costs loaded with leather, etc. Ill keep ya updated if I pull the trigger.

So a JK came in for service today that I would definitely drive, just not as a daily. I will post a pic shortly

va2u7ydu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info guys, It going to be daily driver and on weekends (when I have time) it will be on light trails, off road. Im looking at 2012's lifted for around the same price a new 2014 costs loaded with leather, etc. Ill keep ya updated if I pull the trigger.

Why would you pay the same price for a 2 year old used one as you could buy a new one for? That really makes no sense to me:dontknow:

Why would you pay the same price for a 2 year old used one as you could buy a new one for? That really makes no sense to me:dontknow:

The used units have the lift, tires, bumpers, etc. No other real reason than that. If I was spending this much $$ I'm not going to get anything with more than 15k miles.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back