2nd SRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvsrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats up SRT nuts! I just bought a clean used SC SRT-10 Silver ( the fastest color no matter what you say) I am a die hard SRT lover in Boise. I also have an 06 Magnum SRT-8 also silver and have been a member of the SRT8OC for some time. You guys are a different sort altogether. Even more fanatical and sometimes pretty damn amusing. I love it. I have already picked up a lot of info reading through the threads. Much appreciated.

A side note to you RC guys. I did a lot of checking about towing with this truck. The QC hitch fits perfectly. (installed it today) The concern seems to be the size and strength of the overdrive gears. After filtering through a ton of BS from people who put way to much stock in warranty regs or have no idea what an SRT-10 is I have come to the conclusion that if I avoid high loads (hills etc) in 5th and 6th it should work great. I will be towing a 4600 lb. boat all summer and will report back.

luvsrt said:
Whats up SRT nuts! I just bought a clean used SC SRT-10 Silver ( the fastest color no matter what you say) I am a die hard SRT lover in Boise. I also have an 06 Magnum SRT-8 also silver and have been a member of the SRT8OC for some time. You guys are a different sort altogether. Even more fanatical and sometimes pretty damn amusing. I love it. I have already picked up a lot of info reading through the threads. Much appreciated.

A side note to you RC guys. I did a lot of checking about towing with this truck. The QC hitch fits perfectly. (installed it today) The concern seems to be the size and strength of the overdrive gears. After filtering through a ton of BS from people who put way to much stock in warranty regs or have no idea what an SRT-10 is I have come to the conclusion that if I avoid high loads (hills etc) in 5th and 6th it should work great. I will be towing a 4600 lb. boat all summer and will report back.

Congrats on the new truck. Have any pictures of it?

Yeah, Pictures Bud! And Welcome!:beer:

A while back I installed the MOPAR hitch in my RC and towed my GMC Syclone to the track = ~5,000lbs.. Worked out just fine, and that was when I still had the '04 4.11 gears too! Just need to be careful when pulling out not to ride the clutch. Though, with all of the torque available, riding the clutch isn't even necessary. Than just use some common sense (NO WOT acceleration;) ), and all will be just fine.

With the 4.56 gears available in the 05's and up (which later on I installed in my '04), or 4.88s, it would be even easier! Might be something you want to look into down the road. (Someone get the new guy the phone # for Unitrax :D )

Let us know how it works out for ya!

Last edited:
luvsrt said:

I believe the weak link is the clutch not the tranny.

Welcome, Mod on!!!!:rock:

Pics and tow results

Here are some pics of the new rig. Towing went very well untill I had to pull the boat out of the water up the ramp. The gearing is all wrong. I had no choice but to smoke the clutch to get it going. I was wondering about the possibility of swaping the first gear cog for a lower gear but maybe the 4:88 rear would work as well Thoughts???

Attachments

• SRT-10 014.jpg
    SRT-10 014.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • SRT-10 008.jpg
    SRT-10 008.jpg
    887.2 KB · Views: 68
  • SRT-10 006.jpg
    SRT-10 006.jpg
    879.9 KB · Views: 70
Welcome to the nut house... in case you cant tell there are alot of ZOO like creatures here... try not to feed them and you will be alright! Lots of great people and information too, you will fit right in! OBVIOUSLY! Nice toys too!

luvsrt said:
Here are some pics of the new rig. Towing went very well untill I had to pull the boat out of the water up the ramp. The gearing is all wrong. I had no choice but to smoke the clutch to get it going. I was wondering about the possibility of swaping the first gear cog for a lower gear but maybe the 4:88 rear would work as well Thoughts???

Nice, well, Everything! The truck, the car, the yacht, the house - all good!:rock:

Anyway, yeah, IMO, as lond as you've got traction on the ramp, 4.88's would solve your problem.

Those 4.10's just,,,, suck.:p

luvsrt said:

That is why the RC manual says do not tow with this truck :D

If you have a stock clutch in there you may as well face facts now and plan on changing. If you do it with all to goodies (clutch, new master and slave, new lightweight flywheel) you will be looking at $1400-$1500 plus your time or labor.

I do not think it is so much gears as it is your clutch. It probably slipping a little, which will get worse and worse until they day you hit it and smoke pours out from underneath your truck.

Pull the boat with the SRT 8 or get a QC. Your clutch will probably not survive may pulls. Even if you went to the Centerforce clutch, you are still better off with a QC. Welcome.

luvsrt said:
....After filtering through a ton of BS from people who put way to much stock in warranty regs or have no idea what an SRT-10 is I have come to the conclusion that if I avoid high loads (hills etc) in 5th and 6th it should work great. I will be towing a 4600 lb. boat all summer and will report back.

So some of us are full of BS and have no idea what a SRT/10 is?:confused: :dontknow:

But then I'm not the one with the burnt clutch so what do I know, right?

Oh well, this may be interesting.

Some people ask for input and then ignore the salient comments. I guess I will never understand that process. I too am one of those that is probably too full of BS for good input.

But after you pull that boat several times...you may not be able to get it out of the water. And for sure the "L's" will eat your lunch anytime you try to get off the line.

But have fun, that's what the truck is all about.

I think that boat is way too much for the RC. You may be able to cruise down the highway just fine but taking off and pulling up ramps is asking too much out of the clutch. I think you've already discovered this.

The RC would be fine for pulling a motorcycle or wave-runner trailer but even then you don't want to jackrabbit or get carried away with it. Even though it's a truck, it was built for speed and acceleration. Not towing stuff around. It's more of a sports car.

Good luck pulling your boat with it. Keep us posted.

Sweet Boat!! Nice truck!! Probably will want a QC! They are faster anyway!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back