48RE install, what should we fix

danrduc

Reaction score
We got a 48RE trans. to install in the RC, want upgrade to a manual valve body, and any other quick fixes upgrades that should be done.
Looking for suggestions on valve bodies, upgrades and floor shifters to use with the valve body. Full manual or auto/manual?
Anybody know the length difference on the driveshafts.
We have an 04 RC, got an 06 48RE from QC.

The blocks are different on the rc's and qc's... you will need to change/machine the dowel pins.

Some of our other experts will chime in shortly.

That would be good, Iwas informed earlier during some research that it would interchange. Have to think back where that info was?

You should need to shorten the driveshaft 4 1/2" which will likely cost a bit being aluminum or just have a custom one built. I would do a transgo shift kit, as well as a stall of at least 2800. You will likely have to drill or do some mods to the bellhousing to allow all bolts to work. It will be bad ass, I have waited for someone to do this. I do think a 4l80e or Turbo 400 would be a better candidate becuase of the 48re weight and computer controls. A standalone shift computer would be nice.;)

I have suncoasts valve body and i like it....I know that HTS offers valve bodies with manual shift option as well as reverse shifting so that you do run the chance of putting it in neutral or worst during shifts....not sure if suncoast offers this but I dont see why they wouldn't... If you're going to drive it on the street wouldn't recommend to much more than 2400-2600 but if all your after is the 1/4 numbers then pick your poison.

Carlwalski (batram) turned hi 06 RC into an auto tranny, with paddle shifters

Mabe he could also help with ur project

I have read about Carl's Batram, and tried to find out more as well. I don't think my son is trying to be a trailblazer, just something he wants to do. It won't be just a race vehicle, maybe he is even trying to mke it more streetable. I'll try to find out more and talk to Dusty at hts, and a few others. Thanks for the tips.

If I was going through all the trouble of doing an auto swap, I wouldn't go with a shitty transmission.... just sayin.

What would it take to go from a 48re to a 4L80E? Would you have to have a custom bellhousing or something? Different converter, flywheel and driveshaft?

What would it take to go from a 48re to a 4L80E? Would you have to have a custom bellhousing or something? Different converter, flywheel and driveshaft?

Carl (BATRAM) had a thread on here somewhere when he was changing his to an auto ..... do a search or PM him... he used a custom adapter ..

Yup, as others have said you'll need to get a custom TH400/4L80E trans adapter "Kit" which includes: Block Adaptor Plate, SFI Flywheel Assembly, Crankshaft Adaptor and All Fasteners and Dowel Pins. If you go with Donato kit you'll need to tell him to include the spacer, he didn't make one for mine and it left a large gap so we had to make a custom Flywheel to Converter Spacer. :(

I wanted OD so went with the 4L80E which is 80% TH400, just with an OD. It's f#%ken FUN!!!!! I thrash the shit out of the Batram DAILY and it's held up real well and chirps the gears through all 4, hard, 1-2nd (and sometimes 2-3rd) shifts send the arse end out hard often haha. You'll also need pedals and from memory you don't need a new pedal box as the pedal boxes are the same, I left my manual pedal box in and just changed the pedal rods over (left the gas pedal and e-brake). ;)

It's not that hard a conversion, just depends on how far you want to take it. Transmission, pedals, shifter set up, firewall mount dipstick, trans cooler, driveshaft, trans-mount (you can adapt the factory one easily), time & money. How expensive depends on your truck, if you want wild, get custom, if you want simple, stay basic. I added a Compushift Transmission Controller from Twistmachine.com, Hurst Promatic-2 Automatic 4-Speed Truck Shifter, custom console set up, Mercedes AMG Paddle Switches, etc but then I like to be different and have OCD lol. :)

I love mine, so much more of an all round truck, quicker, consistent and now I get that cruise factor too. As for wiring, for mine, there was really no major wiring other than the Compushift. Being a manual to start with means there is little in electronics, it's a basic manual trans, going from 48RE to TH400 would involve more wiring work. In short, remove the old T56, no wiring, slam in the auto, make a console and then go have fun lol. Video below of the Compushift, and a link to my conversion page. The video is more about the gear changes, the "jolts" between it are from the 4L80E, even mild driving it's FIRM but I can change how hard it shifts using the Compushift. If you have anything specific in mind, just ask and I'll try my best to help.

www.carlwalski.com/Batram2.html

Cheers,
Carlwalski
THE BATRAM

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJzqIvBijBA]YouTube - Compushift Display Demonstration[/ame]

Batram_Interior6__2_.JPG

Batram_Interior3__2_.JPG

Paddles5.JPG

Compushift2.JPG

Last edited:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back