6 speed rebuild

Stanimal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got all my clutch parts in, and decided while I have the trans out to get it rebuilt. Everything in it seems fine except 2nd gear. I have to hold it in when I first let the clutch out or it usually will pop out. Been a problem for a long time, Dodge brushed it off under warranty years ago and just have been dealing with it. I emailed Rockland Standard Gear to ask about a rebuild. Was told takes 2 days, and cost is $1995. That is for what I assume is a stock rebuild. They offer other transmissions, but honestly, I have no clue what half of this stuff means. Never had a 5 or 6 speed go bad, never had one apart. Can anyone decifer this for me, and what are your opinions on the stock rebuild price and the upgraded prices? Is there a better place to go? Rockland is a hour trip for me so I'll save hundreds on shipping using them. However, if someone knows a place that will be close to the same price including shipping I am open to options

- STAN
R & R WILL TAKE 2 DAYS WE STOCK ALL THE PARTS COST 1995.00
WE ALSO DO A UPGRADE THAT I SELL TO THE SRT-10 GUYS

WE BUILD A TRANZILLA MAGNUM TZ SRT-10
RATED 850FTLBS
RACE READY WITH CARBON RINGS 1-4 HYBRID CARBON RINGS 5/6 MATCH FITTED BLUE PRINTED PARTS. THIS TRANS HAS MAJOR UPGRADES FROM THE T56 (NO SYNCHRO KEYS) WIDER GEAR TRAIN, LARGER INPUT AND CLUSTER BEARINGS, STRONGER WEBBED FRONT PLATE, LARGER 3/4 SYNCHRO WITH CARBON RINGS, 30 SPLINE MAINSHAFT

LUBE OPTION 750.00 (THIS ALLOWS U TO ADD A COOLER TO THE TRANS)

RSG OIL 5QTS 10.55 PER QT WE MAKE OUR OWN OIL

RATIO'S
2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 .74 .50 OR .80 .63 *
2.97 2.07 1.43 1.00 .74 .50 OR .80 .63
COST NEW 3695.00 R/R EXCHANGE 3295.00
* WE BUILD THIS RATIO IN 9310 RATED AT 1000FTLBS
COST NEW 4595.00 R/R EXCHANGE 4195.00
CLOSE RATIO
2.29 1.60 1.21 1.00 .84 .67
COST NEW 4395.00 R/R EXCHANGE 3795.00

GEORGE RSG RACE DIVISION

Last edited:
Do it yourself and save $1000, the T56 is a simple Trans..If you decide to get it done Rockland Standard Gear is one of the best places you could go...If it's popping out of gear you likely need new shift pads...The factory ones were a composite plastic, new ones are brass...

I just got my new tranny from rock land cost 4k with no exhange and is rated for 1000ft lbs maybe just go a lil big now so when u decide to do a build ur tranny is good to go

I would rather not drop 4k on a trans I don't really need right now, I would go for the exchange for $3300 IF it really is worth that. Mopar, I probably could do it, but have no clue wtf I am looking at once I get it apart to know what is good or not good.

I would rather not drop 4k on a trans I don't really need right now, I would go for the exchange for $3300 IF it really is worth that. Mopar, I probably could do it, but have no clue wtf I am looking at once I get it apart to know what is good or not good.

I have the tools to take them apart, the 5-6 gear puller was pricey, but other than that it's very straight forward. Let me know if you need a hand or want to borrow the tools.

Call Jason at Texas Drivetrain Performance.

Texas Drivetrain Performance

He rebuilt mine a year or so ago and it's never shifted so good. He did his Stage 2 build and swapped my diff gears from 4.10 to 4.56...all for $2,200, which included labor to R&R. Mine had eaten reverse and I had to have some work done to repair my mainshaft.

He had half a dozen T56's for rebuilding arrive from folks across the country in the few days my truck was in his shop.

Here's another link that lists some of what he does

Texas Drivetrain Performance

Last edited:
thumperama, I actually just emailed them before I saw your post. Waiting for his reply. Vprpwrd, I have no issues pulling it apart myself but have no clue what I am looking at once I get it apart to tell what is bad or good or normal. If you want to make some coin, I might consider paying you to do this/ show me what to do. I have great mechanical ability, but Transmissions are something I have never done, and if I have to pull this trans again I swear to God I will burn the truck to the ground. I want it done right, the first time, and be able to enjoy the damn truck for the first time since I have bought the original in 2004.

thumperama, I actually just emailed them before I saw your post. Waiting for his reply. Vprpwrd, I have no issues pulling it apart myself but have no clue what I am looking at once I get it apart to tell what is bad or good or normal. If you want to make some coin, I might consider paying you to do this/ show me what to do. I have great mechanical ability, but Transmissions are something I have never done, and if I have to pull this trans again I swear to God I will burn the truck to the ground. I want it done right, the first time, and be able to enjoy the damn truck for the first time since I have bought the original in 2004.

its just like a honda

I'm not looking to make any cash, just lend a hand for someone who does the same for me.

I can order whatever parts you say it needs, I can do all the wrenching, hell I can bring it to your house/shop/parking lot but I genuinely have no clue what I'm looking at. If you want to help, and are confident in what you are looking at that would be awesome and would save me a ton of cash, of which I would gladly give you some. i'll even provide the beer for you to drink while you laugh at my confused faces haha. I WANT to learn but transmission guy's are a dying breed like true mechanic's.

I can get er done as well if ya need. Average is $1600 unless issues with other gears, or shafts. Many parts are upgraded yet some gears are only available through Chrysler

I can order whatever parts you say it needs, I can do all the wrenching, hell I can bring it to your house/shop/parking lot but I genuinely have no clue what I'm looking at. If you want to help, and are confident in what you are looking at that would be awesome and would save me a ton of cash, of which I would gladly give you some. i'll even provide the beer for you to drink while you laugh at my confused faces haha. I WANT to learn but transmission guy's are a dying breed like true mechanic's.

be careful with Andy. Hes kinda cute in a pee wee herman sorta way.

What kind of time frame are you looking at? I have a few projects I need to finish up before I take on anything new.

Trans is coming out sometime in early Feb, but doesn't have to go back in until beginning of April. I am waiting to hear back from Tick Performance in NC, as their prices are absolutely killer. $999 shipped both ways, standard rebuild using a little beefier parts. $1150 for a rebuild and all new bearings. $!600 for everything cryo'd and rebuild. Tick is my last shot, because quite frankly, after looking, I refuse to pay what Rockland wants, Texas Drivetrain has not replied to my email and had me on hold for a hour, and I have read bad reviews on RPM.

Call up tick performance. They fixed my grenades t56 last year. I also got their level 2 viper spec package. It was less than 2500 shipped which isn't bad for the power and internals I have now. You can ship the trans fed ex with a 35 gallon plastic container. It comes in under 150 lbs so there's no flight charge.

Trans is coming out sometime in early Feb, but doesn't have to go back in until beginning of April. I am waiting to hear back from Tick Performance in NC, as their prices are absolutely killer. $999 shipped both ways, standard rebuild using a little beefier parts. $1150 for a rebuild and all new bearings. $!600 for everything cryo'd and rebuild. Tick is my last shot, because quite frankly, after looking, I refuse to pay what Rockland wants, Texas Drivetrain has not replied to my email and had me on hold for a hour, and I have read bad reviews on RPM.

That sounds like the way to go!

All I have to do is pull the trans, pop the bell off, put t in a 50 gal plastic tub securely, tape the UPS label to it and they send UPS to my house to pick it up. They photograph the entire process and notify me if any hard parts are broken, and the cost before they repair. No additional labor just the cost of the parts. They include media blasting the outside of the case in every rebuild and offer a powdercoating as extra. 2-4 day turnaround. Many good reviews with the Corvette circuit racers. I think I wll go for the standard rebuild, all new bearings and a oil cooling system ($150 extra, no pump or external lines). The cooling system pulls out out of the drain plug, you run it wherever you want outside of the trans, then it returns into the case and sprays oil on the input bearing (known to get dry under accel or turns) and 3-4th gears (also known to go dry).

Tick Performance Level 1 Standard T56 Rebuild (500RWTQ) for 92-07 Viper - Tick Performance, Inc.

I like that they offer getting rid of the .74, .50 5th and 6th, and going .80, .63! That would definitely make 6th gear more usable.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back