700hpOdyssey Engine Build Sheet

1000hpOdyssey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For inquiring minds that may want to know what it takes to build an engine that is capable of handling big hp and staying together, attached are the build specs (pdf docs below) for the engine and the heads, along with a few of the many build pictures that Greg Good took as he was building my engine and porting my heads.

Attachments

• Greco cam degreeing 2 001.jpg
    Greco cam degreeing 2 001.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 540
  • Greco cam degreeing.jpg
    Greco cam degreeing.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 375
  • Crankcase pressuizer for oil pump priming 004.jpg
    Crankcase pressuizer for oil pump priming 004.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,105
  • 8-28-09 Greco 011.jpg
    8-28-09 Greco 011.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 914
  • 8-28-09 Greco 018.jpg
    8-28-09 Greco 018.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 344
  • 8-28-09 Greco 024.jpg
    8-28-09 Greco 024.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 688
  • 8-28-09 Greco 027.jpg
    8-28-09 Greco 027.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 345
  • 8-28-09 Greco.jpg
    8-28-09 Greco.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 547
  • 20110118144238542.pdf
    23.5 KB · Views: 601
  • 20110118144245872.pdf
    20 KB · Views: 221
  • 20110118144251889.pdf
    14.1 KB · Views: 196
  • 20110118144257967.pdf
    10.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 20110118144305239.pdf
    16.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 8-28-09 Greco 001.jpg
    8-28-09 Greco 001.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 357
  • 8-28-09 Greco 004.jpg
    8-28-09 Greco 004.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 554
  • 8-28-09 Greco 005.jpg
    8-28-09 Greco 005.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 431
  • 8-28-09 Greco 007.jpg
    8-28-09 Greco 007.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 386
  • Greco cam 1.jpg
    Greco cam 1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 298
  • Greco cam bolts.jpg
    Greco cam bolts.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 302
  • Greco oil pump pickup.jpg
    Greco oil pump pickup.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
For inquiring minds that may want to know what it takes to build an engine that is capable of handling big hp and staying together, attached are the build specs (pdf docs below) for the engine and the heads, along with a few of the many build pictures that Greg Good took as he was building my engine and porting my heads.
Very sweet build bro:rock: Very close to the same specs we used on Eddies engine, love those flow numbers, Greg is def tops in porting:)

Nice build.

I am not following the priming oil pressure set up.

I thought you would have to pressurize the oiling system at the block for priming.

However, if you can presurize through the valve covers that is more convenent.

More info?:D

I did not know greg good did engines. I know he is well known for heads. Looks good.

Yes, Greg Good is very well known for porting heads. He also builds an engine every now and then on special occassions. I was just lucky to get him to build mine.

Very sweet build bro:rock: Very close to the same specs we used on Eddies engine, love those flow numbers, Greg is def tops in porting:)

Greg Good heads IMHO flow as good as, if not better than Stryker performance heads, and for less $$$.

Yes, Greg Good is very well known for porting heads. He also builds an engine every now and then on special occassions. I was just lucky to get him to build mine.

Greg Good heads IMHO flow as good as, if not better than Stryker performance heads, and for less $$$.

he is def the best in the country :congrats:

Nice build.

I am not following the priming oil pressure set up.

I thought you would have to pressurize the oiling system at the block for priming.

However, if you can presurize through the valve covers that is more convenent.

More info?:D

I wanted to make sure the engine was primed before it was installed. I spun the engine over with no spark plugs long enough to prime a normal engine and it wouldn't pull oil up the the pump and pressurize the engine.

So I made that little arrangement to pressurize the crankcase, which created enough pressure differential to push oil up through that long pickup. I left out one of the external oil plugs and after about 4 seconds of spinning with only 3 PSI on the crankcase it primed and shot oil about 6 feet away. I plugged the hole and shipped it. :D

Thanks John for letting me do this engine.

John actually did some of the machine work and assembly on this engine himself. He understands a lot of this stuff pretty well IMO. I don't have a picture of it but he bored some of the Program main caps on the mill before we sent the block off to have line honed.

I wanted to make sure the engine was primed before it was installed. I spun the engine over with no spark plugs long enough to prime a normal engine and it wouldn't pull oil up the the pump and pressurize the engine.

So I made that little arrangement to pressurize the crankcase, which created enough pressure differential to push oil up through that long pickup. I left out one of the external oil plugs and after about 4 seconds of spinning with only 3 PSI on the crankcase it primed and shot oil about 6 feet away. I plugged the hole and shipped it. :D

Wow cool info.:rock:

I have been looking on a good way to prime my engine for the first time start.

I have seen set ups like this but going in to the oil line for the oil cooler.

This looks way easier and straight forward. I was just thrown on your set up

because the pressure is going in the other direction. I like it and will look into

priming my engine this way. One way or another it is a good idea to prime a

new engine before first start.:) Thanks again for the info!:rock:

Sorry for my spelling in the other post.

Yeah it's easy for the oil pump to prime when the pressure in the crankcase is higher than the oil galley.

Another way to do it would have been to attach my vacuum pump for A/C work to an external oil plug outlet and pull a vacuum on the oil galley. That would work too.

Congratulations on an awesome build John. Spectacular results. Kudos to Justin and Greg Good.

Congratulations on an awesome build John. Spectacular results. Kudos to Justin and Greg Good.

Thanks Jorge. Anytime you can put Justin, Joe Donovan and Greg Good on a project you are going to have a great result. I wish I would have gone with them from the very beginning. It would have saved me a bunch of time, money and aggravation.

Dean Harvey at Comp Cams selected the cam grind.

He's always made me happy. :rock:

I appreciate the kind words. I was lucky to be part of a good group of guys. I can't wait for John to come by and take me for a ride in it. I've ridden in a 950 rwhp Viper before, and it felt like a jet airplane. I wonder what the truck will feel like?

I better make sure to have a spare change of clothes with me. :D

LOLOL well I can tell ya from mine in the past, its totally different in a truck LOLOL
Eddies footprints will forever be in my dash LOLOLOLOL

Back