700hpOdyssey Engine Build Sheet

Ronnie, this is where I am with wet flow on a Gen 3 head. This set of heads was done about 5 years ago, and I took this pic on a freshen up last year(?). I wish I had taken a pic before I cleaned the deck surface. It completely carbons the entire chamber, and there isn't any streaking in the exhaust ports from wet fuel being pumped out of the cylinder. It looks like most of the fuel is getting burned inside the cylinder.

ETA: The pic was taken after I washed the heads in my Varsol tank with a plastic scrub brush. A lot of heads will have carbon that wipes off easily with a shop towel. This stuff is burned in real hard and would have required a wire brush in a die grinder to remove. That's the kind of carbon I like to see. When it's burned in good like that the combustion is good and the fuel is being turned into BTU's of heat.

allpicsdigicam242.jpg

Hello again Greg- I have sent you a p.m.

Ronnie

PM replied to. Sorry I stepped on your toes by posting in John's thread with information about his heads.

PM replied to. Sorry I stepped on your toes by posting in John's thread with information about his heads.

You didn't step on my toes at all...

The stock heads can be ported to make good power and the Strikers can make even more, as per our discussion.

It all depends on what a customer wants and of course, budget.

I'd bet John is excited about having that much power on tap!

Ronnie

Last edited:
Ok Ronnie, you win! My work is second best. Happy now?

Will you please get off my back now, and stop using John's engine build thread to shill in?

He asked me if I was ok with him posting his build sheet. I said no problem. I, nor he, intended for it to come across as advertising. I already have a full plate, and am not interested in building more engines. I lose money on every one I build. I've done it for the sole purpose of learning how to make one better, so I could share the info with others to improve the breed, so to speak. I hope some people here find it useful.

I was invited here by a staff member when the site was new. You see how many posts I have, right? I'm not trying to push my product here, but I will occasionally post, as I was invited to a long time ago.

Now, if you have a problem with how well my heads performed on John's truck, then build a blower truck yourself that will make more. Then you can poo-poo others product. Until then John has bragging rights, not that he is that type though, being a fairly modest guy.

Please do not pretend to be nice in this thread, but then act confrontational in PM. One more time, and your'e going on ignore. I don't have time for this.

Thanks!

Greg

Last edited:
Greg, you knowledge is much appreciated here and you reputation speaks for itself. I spoke to you several years ago about doing my cylinder heads but came across a deal I couldn't pass up. If not, your hands would have been a part of my build as well.

I think there are many of us on this Forum that would appreciate both of your technical inputs and or advice. So please gentlemen, don't get confrontational. Both of you guys add to0 much value to this Forum.

Last edited:
Ok Ronnie, you win! My work is second best. Happy now?

Will you please get off my back now, and stop using John's engine build thread to shill in?

He asked me if I was ok with him posting his build sheet. I said no problem. I, nor he, intended for it to come across as advertising. I already have a full plate, and am not interested in building more engines. I lose money on every one I build. I've done it for the sole purpose of learning how to make one better, so I could share the info with others to improve the breed, so to speak. I hope some people here find it useful.

I was invited here by a staff member when the site was new. You see how many posts I have, right? I'm not trying to push my product here, but I will occasionally post, as I was invited to a long time ago.

Now, if you have a problem with how well my heads performed on John's truck, then build a blower truck yourself that will make more. Then you can poo-poo others product. Until then John has bragging rights, not that he is that type though, being a fairly modest guy.

Please do not pretend to be nice in this thread, but then act confrontational in PM. One more time, and your'e going on ignore. I don't have time for this.

Thanks!

Greg

Greg,

I've just read through all of our Public and Private emails and fail to see ANY reference whatsoever to your work being second rate, me raining on John's parade, me being on your back nor being confrontational toward you.

So here is our private correspondence for all to see and judge for themselves as YOU are operating on a persecution angle and attempting to undermine my integrity.

Ronnie

PMs..

Originally Posted by rottenronnie
Hi Greg-
You are under no obligation to prove anything to me. I don’t know, however, where you want to go with this information exchange. I am certainly not trying to disprove what you have learned over the years; and certainly not to any of the readers on this, or any other forum. You have a lot of happy customers, I see that. What you are doing seems to be working well for you, kudos…
The photo you sent me of a combustion chamber shows a chamber that appears to be burning well. However, I am at a disadvantage as I can’t possibly know the myriad of factors that end with a photo of this particular chamber.
All I am saying is with ANY head, increased flow past a certain point will start to DECREASE POWER. As the Gen III heads are not a bad production head by any stretch, they are limited as to what they are going to produce for power. As you have indicated, they are a rather small head.
Strikers were created to blow past the limitations of the stock Viper Gen III head. An increase to a 260 cc intake port, relocated intake valve and the redesigned combustion chamber were all incorporated into the Strikers for specific reasons. Those reasons were to outperform the original head. I don’t know if you have had an opportunity to look at the ported o.e.m. heads available from Jeff Morys but they work well.
As you are well aware, almost ANY head can be improved upon UP TO A POINT. But increased flow past that point will fail to produce any more power. And if fact power will start to drop off.
Forty plus years of being involved in high performance engines has taught me a number of things. I have been posting on these forums to help the AVERAGE enthusiast with his engine. As I am a Distributor for JM Cylinder heads, yes I have a vested interest in them. I obtained what I would call dramatic results with these heads initially on my own vehicles and now these results have continued to impress me in many applications.
So cutting to the chase here: Are you trying to convince me that your porting of the Gen III heads will produce a head that will make the same (or more) power ON THE SAME ENGINE than a Striker cylinder head?

Ronnie

Originally Posted by Greg Good
Ronnie, I think you have read more into what John said than there is. He was surprised that his engine with stock ported castings made such good power. That's it. He did not expect to make 950. He wasn't saying my ported stock castings are as good as a Striker, and I'm not saying or implying that either.

Just let the man be happy with his build. There's really no reason to rain on his parade, or take me to task.

I'm sorry if you don't appreciate the posts I made. I was just enlightening the readership as to what can be done with a stock head. Isn't that ok?

Take care,

Greg

[Posted By Ronnie]

Hello Greg-
As you saw at a certain point in our conversation, I felt it would be appropriate to keep our correspondence private during our information exchange. I am surprised you thought my email was some kind of attack on you.
Re-reading my posts, I couldn’t find a single negative comment with regards to you, Justin (or others) involved in John’s project. Nor was there anything that may be interpreted as “raining on his (John’s) parade”.
I am NOT disputing the results. Justin’s work speaks for itself and so does yours, which is what I meant about you having a loyal following. The work you are doing on cylinder heads/engines appears to be working well.
On the contrary, the well-wishes and congratulations were sincere. 900+ wheel horsepower is a lot of power.
It doesn’t appear that people often (ever?) ask you many semi-technical questions or present their viewpoints on this particular topic of porting and producing horsepower. Well, I guess you can consider me one of those individuals that DO ask questions and look very hard at results. My research is ongoing, as yours is. You have learned a great deal about your craft as I have about mine.
It is hard enough trying to convey COMPLETE information in a short email when dealing with most of the guys on the forums and trying to accurately answer the questions they may ask. They will often read a bit of information and then run with a small piece of the big picture. That can be quite misleading.
There seems to be an underlying inference that your ported o.e.m. heads can produce the same power on the same engine as a set of Strikers. Adding to this, the cost of the porting is “considerably cheaper” than a set of Strikers which makes it appear as if someone could produce the same horsepower for a fraction of the price.

You have just clarified what your thoughts are on that point, in your email to me.

Continued success Greg.

Ronnie

Thanks for posting this good info! After reading through the thread, sounds like you had done some of the work yourself, but if you don't mind sharing, what's the ballpark cost for all of this?

For inquiring minds that may want to know what it takes to build an engine that is capable of handling big hp and staying together, attached are the build specs (pdf docs below) for the engine and the heads, along with a few of the many build pictures that Greg Good took as he was building my engine and porting my heads.

Very interesting read. Thanks Greg for stopping by and sharing your expertise and information. The more opinions one has on a subject, the more edjucated one becomes.

have you looked at dates on these posts ,,,;)

First time I have come across it too. Think I felt a small piece of knowledge grow as I read through it. And btw. 950.....sweet!

Since you guys brought it up, anyone know how much it costs for Mr. Good to do a set of heads?

is this engine still running and turning the same numbers? and why would you build with the cam 4 degrees advance? why not just have it built to line p the dots?

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back