700hpOdyssey Engine Build Sheet

Interesting priming method. I use a old air conditioning freon canister to prime engines and CVT transmissions.

Are you going to install one of Justins Procharger's?

Never mind, I just read in one of the sheets that it will be Procharged. Thats awesome and I cant wait to see it done.

Hopefully the engine builder was cool with you giving away all those secrets. ;)

As Joe said the cam is basically the same as mine and his. You have a little more lift, other than that its identical.

Great job guys....
Taking your time and doing things carefully always pays off over the long term.
And it's nice to see the Strikers are still being used as a benchmark..:)

Ronnie

Last edited:
Hopefully the engine builder was cool with you giving away all those secrets. ;)

I asked Greg if I could post the engine build sheet and he said he was happy to share 99% of his "secrets". Although Greg can obviously build a great engine he primarily ports heads, so he is not in competition with any engine builders for business. He also shared his fix for my problem with the upgraded viper slave and McLeod twin disk set-up. That fix was posted under "Slave Cylinder Saga."

Great job guys....
Taking your time and doing things carefully always pays off over the long term.
And it's nice to see the Strikers are still being used as a benchmark..:)

Ronnie

Thanks Ronnie. We didn't have Striker castings to work with, but the old stock castings will surprise you if you know what to do with them. I think the stock Gen 3 castings get a bad rap. A lot of power can be made with them. Also, as you know, there are criteria in addition to air flow numbers on a flow chart that a head should be judged by. Wet flow is one area, which I've spent several decades studying. I'm not saying I know everything about that subject, but I have made big gains modifying the way a head wet flows. You don't see wet flow quality on a flow chart. Only a trained eye can spot it. It's not something the average consumer can quantify unfortunately, so flow numbers still sell heads.

It appears the heads and cam combination are not the limitation on this build. If it had the F2R blower then maybe. I'd like to see a larger set of headers and the cats pulled off on this truck. I think we'd see 1000 rwhp out of it then.

Take care!

Last edited:
Thanks Ronnie. We didn't have Striker castings to work with, but the old stock castings will surprise you if you know what to do with them. I think the stock Gen 3 castings get a bad rap. A lot of power can be made with them. Also, as you know, there are criteria in addition to air flow numbers on a flow chart that a head should be judged by. Wet flow is one area, which I've spent several decades studying. I'm not saying I know everything about that subject, but I have made big gains modifying the way a head wet flows. You don't see wet flow quality on a flow chart. Only a trained eye can spot it. It's not something the average consumer can quantify unfortunately, so flow numbers still sell heads.

It appears the heads and cam combination are not the limitation on this build. If it had the F2R blower then maybe. I'd like to see a larger set of headers and the cats pulled off on this truck. I think we'd see 1000 rwhp out of it then.

Take care!

Hi Greg,

Great to hear from you again..

Yes, the o.e.m. heads can be ported to make some good power and so of course, can the Strikers.

Wet-flow mapping is certainly a science unto it's own. Fortunately, wet-flow tracts are only a fraction as long as they used to be back in the days of carburetion !
But of course YOU are still dealing with the important part in your line of work.

Matching burn patterns on both the piston tops and the matching area in the combustion chambers are what I've been studying which of course are the net result of every component up and downstream of the heads and of course the head ports and combustion chamber itself.
Liquid fuel doesn't burn and non-homogeneous mixtures burn patterns will show up as clear or actual fuel-washed areas as I am sure you are well aware. It is fascinating stuff for sure..

Again..congrats and keep up the great work!

Ronnie

Last edited:
Quick question, do you have the part numbers and pack amounts for the arp bolts for the heads (small bolts I have the stud set) and for the oil pan and valve covers? Or at least if someone knows the length and thread pitch.

Thanks.

Hi Greg,

Liquid fuel doesn't burn and non-homogeneous mixtures burn patterns will show up as clear or actual fuel-washed areas as I am sure you are well aware. It is fascinating stuff for sure..

Ronnie

Sometimes, or actually a lot of the time, a clean area on the intake side of the chamber indicates no fuel, hence no carbon deposit to see. This is where trying to read carbon patterns is tough. A clean area can sometimes (mis)lead the reader to conclude there is fuel jet-washing that part of the chamber when in fact the opposite can be the case.

I still see a lot of power gains from wet flow improvements on FI engines. The important stuff is right at the valve seat, and in the chamber, IMO.

A lot has trickled down to us from Charlotte, but they don't just give it to you of course. It took me many years of looking at that stuff to realize what they were doing to get the fuel mixed up and keep it that way. It is different than drag racing, for sure. That's why most drag racing head porters who have submitted heads (including me) haven't made the cut. Not for lack of power, but for fuel mileage. On the other side of the coin a NASCAR type intake port will not qualify in Pro drag racing. They have to be re-done. Two different animals.

On the heads that are hopelessly too small, such as the Viper heads, I'm able to employ some NASCAR type wet flow techniques to get a little more power out of the finite amount of air/fuel that is getting in. No stone left unturned.

That's just my .02, so salt to taste.

Sometimes, or actually a lot of the time, a clean area on the intake side of the chamber indicates no fuel, hence no carbon deposit to see. This is where trying to read carbon patterns is tough. A clean area can sometimes (mis)lead the reader to conclude there is fuel jet-washing that part of the chamber when in fact the opposite can be the case.

I still see a lot of power gains from wet flow improvements on FI engines. The important stuff is right at the valve seat, and in the chamber, IMO.

A lot has trickled down to us from Charlotte, but they don't just give it to you of course. It took me many years of looking at that stuff to realize what they were doing to get the fuel mixed up and keep it that way. It is different than drag racing, for sure. That's why most drag racing head porters who have submitted heads (including me) haven't made the cut. Not for lack of power, but for fuel mileage. On the other side of the coin a NASCAR type intake port will not qualify in Pro drag racing. They have to be re-done. Two different animals.

On the heads that are hopelessly too small, such as the Viper heads, I'm able to employ some NASCAR type wet flow techniques to get a little more power out of the finite amount of air/fuel that is getting in. No stone left unturned.

Yes, trying to read chambers is "interesting", to say the least. Often a low power condition (poor track performance, especially) prompts it and changes are made until the area of concern is rectified. Over time, wash looks more like actual erosion. And yes studying the difference between light burn areas and NO burn areas (and why it is occurring), can be a challenge to decipher.

Yes, b.s.f.c. is also an interesting study and the tightrope between power and performance (like NASCAR) is a neat trick !

As always, a pleasure "talking" to you Greg...

Ronnie

Last edited:

not butting in on the conversation, well I guess i am :D but my builder jeff collins does alot of the nascar truck series engines, and jsut what you mentioned is what we ran into on our heads, with his experience in both the drag racing ,and now nascar , alot of things has really opened my eyes to the shape and the way heads are designed and ported,
I dont think ours will ever be up to your standard of porting, but we are taking our best shot at it sir:D
much respect for your work :rock:

Quick question, do you have the part numbers and pack amounts for the arp bolts for the heads (small bolts I have the stud set) and for the oil pan and valve covers? Or at least if someone knows the length and thread pitch.

Thanks.

The intake manifolds bolts are 1/4-20. So are the valve cover bolts and most of the pan bolts. I *think* a couple of them might be 5/16's, can't remember. I tried to look up the bolt order for John's engine but it's not in the notebook I thought it was in.

ARP 611-1000 is a pack of 5 1/4-20 stainless 12 point bolts with washers. To get a longer bolt just change the last set of numbers. An example would be 611-1250 for the same bolt but 1.250" in length. I get mine online from Summit, they have about the best prices and ship the same day usually.

not butting in on the conversation, well I guess i am :D but my builder jeff collins does alot of the nascar truck series engines, and jsut what you mentioned is what we ran into on our heads, with his experience in both the drag racing ,and now nascar , alot of things has really opened my eyes to the shape and the way heads are designed and ported,
I dont think ours will ever be up to your standard of porting, but we are taking our best shot at it sir:D
much respect for your work :rock:

Hey, I really appreciate tthe kind words, but don't downgrade yourself. I'm just a regular guy that puts his pants on one leg at a time. I know some boastful guys that'll try to make others believe they put their pants on over their heads. Yeah right! :D

The intake manifolds bolts are 1/4-20. So are the valve cover bolts and most of the pan bolts. I *think* a couple of them might be 5/16's, can't remember. I tried to look up the bolt order for John's engine but it's not in the notebook I thought it was in.

ARP 611-1000 is a pack of 5 1/4-20 stainless 12 point bolts with washers. To get a longer bolt just change the last set of numbers. An example would be 611-1250 for the same bolt but 1.250" in length. I get mine online from Summit, they have about the best prices and ship the same day usually.

Thank you sir, yeah i can get mine local if they have in stock. I will grab mine this weekend and double check them.

Thanks

Hey, I really appreciate tthe kind words, but don't downgrade yourself. I'm just a regular guy that puts his pants on one leg at a time. I know some boastful guys that'll try to make others believe they put their pants on over their heads. Yeah right! :D

thank you sir, I tried that once, didnt work out too well:rofl::rofl:

decided jsut to be myself, works better that way LoLOL one leg at a time:D

Ronnie, this is where I am with wet flow on a Gen 3 head. This set of heads was done about 5 years ago, and I took this pic on a freshen up last year(?). I wish I had taken a pic before I cleaned the deck surface. It completely carbons the entire chamber, and there isn't any streaking in the exhaust ports from wet fuel being pumped out of the cylinder. It looks like most of the fuel is getting burned inside the cylinder.

ETA: The pic was taken after I washed the heads in my Varsol tank with a plastic scrub brush. A lot of heads will have carbon that wipes off easily with a shop towel. This stuff is burned in real hard and would have required a wire brush in a die grinder to remove. That's the kind of carbon I like to see. When it's burned in good like that the combustion is good and the fuel is being turned into BTU's of heat.

allpicsdigicam242.jpg

Last edited:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back