700hpOdyssey Engine Build Sheet

is this engine still running and turning the same numbers? and why would you build with the cam 4 degrees advance? why not just have it built to line p the dots?

it allows for chain stretch during break in!! answered my own question! Google is a wonderful place . just have to wade through all the bullshit!!:elefant:

I have never,ever heard that one! Lmfao
Usually a cam with advance ground in the cam profile can alter where power comes in. Low end,midrange,or high RPMs. It can also alter Dynamic Compression Ratios. A 10:1 Static Compression engine can be altered by advance/retard built into the cam.
Much of the same alterations can be changed in the aforementioned adjustable timing gearset;)

it allows for chain stretch during break in!! answered my own question! Google is a wonderful place . just have to wade through all the bullshit!!:elefant:

Yeah, definitely DO NOT believe everything you read... Venomous is right, it changes where, in the RPM range, power is made. You can advance, or retard the cam based on what you want for your engine. You can also install straight up. ;)

On page 2 of the build sheets,it is mentioned in the cam spec sheets,that the cam was installed 4 degrees advanced. Not that the 4 degrees was ground in. So my question again is why install it that way instead of just have it ground in? Unless a new chain has some stretch and break in during the first 200 hours of running

On page 2 of the build sheets,it is mentioned in the cam spec sheets,that the cam was installed 4 degrees advanced. Not that the 4 degrees was ground in. So my question again is why install it that way instead of just have it ground in? Unless a new chain has some stretch and break in during the first 200 hours of running

If you grind the advance into the cam, then you lose the flexibility to change it, should your needs or desires change. It has absolutely nothing to do with the stretching of your timing chain. Promise. ;)

Can a cam custom ground for a supercharger still be used if you go to a turbo setup or does it have to be replaced at that point

Can a cam custom ground for a supercharger still be used if you go to a turbo setup or does it have to be replaced at that point

Forced induction is forced induction... The cam, nor the engine know no different. That is not to say that you shouldn't use a different cam. You'd have to ask someone much further up the ladder to get a more accurate answer to that. There are quite a few factors to consider besides just switching to a turbo.

I hope that helps.:dontknow:

Basically YES you can use the same cam for any FI. Could it be further optimized based on turbo,fast boosting Roe,slower boosting Paxton, Procharger,etc.YES. The concept of keeping the intake valve open sooner and exhaust closing later as to not blow boost out the exhaust. Lobe Separation angle is increased or similar to a factory cam around 116-117*.
not gonna be a real lumpy cam at all. A smooth idling,docile cam that's valve events and timing are ground to keep the boost in the cylinder during combustion.

Any cam can be moved anywhere you want to put it in an engine, you just have to offset dowel the cam gear.

Nowadays I order all of my Viper cams *straight up*, and have the customer degree it and then send me the cam gear to install an offset bushing in so that it is perfect.

The problem with ordering a Viper cam with enough advance for it to be in the right place is that some need up to 9 degrees of advance. If you ordered it that way the cam would be ground too much on one side of the lobe and go through the heat treat. Also, the more you order it moved the smaller the base circle gets, which on some engines can put the top of the lifter almost too low to engage the dog bones that locate them.

The most advance I've ever ordered on a Viper cam is 4 degrees. A lot of times a 4 degree advance will still not be even straight up when checked. So I order them with no advance so the heat treat is nice and thick. I'm having to adjust the cam timing with a bushing anyway.

Back