A new boat?

scoobert

Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!
Reaction score
well for about 2 year i researched getting a dodge diesel. that was a stop on my mulit stop approach to my goal of semi-retirement by 35. i know that sounds young, however my job allows me to be semi retired and only work when i want, i have that option now but cannot afford it.

So here is my next major project.

Full time live aboard.
What i need to find out is what size boat do i actually need to be comfy and happy with my two doggers.
i would like to price to be about 70-100K. and i am thinking of buying next spring. i was originally planning on this:
http://www.pacificmarine.org/boat-listings/custom-steel-trawler-85/index.shtml

but there is no way for me to spring 400K on it, at least for 5 or more years.
but trading up is always an option. the boat will be used mostly twice a year, once to FL in the fall, once to NY in the spring. MPG will be important, and throwing a 5.9 cummins conversion in the boat would be a good option.

year? i dont care.
size? i was thinking no less then 1400 SQFT living space, however that works into it.
class? trawler. house boat cannot go around the world, as i plan to do eventually.
speed? slow, dont care if it goes 3KTs.
i want a boat that can take off and power right over to the EU, or Antarctica.

reason? this might sound insane, but i think things are bound to become unlivable in most of the world before i die, so much so that if one day i get sick of it i can pull up anchor and go to Antarctica. or some small island in the south pacific.
the first boat i buy does not need to do this, but the boat i go up to will.
either way i want a boat i can live aboard for dozens of years.

any suggestions? (aside from professional mental help)

scoobert said:
well for about 2 year i researched getting a dodge diesel. that was a stop on my mulit stop approach to my goal of semi-retirement by 35. i know that sounds young, however my job allows me to be semi retired and only work when i want, i have that option now but cannot afford it.

So here is my next major project.

Full time live aboard.
What i need to find out is what size boat do i actually need to be comfy and happy with my two doggers.
i would like to price to be about 70-100K. and i am thinking of buying next spring. i was originally planning on this:
http://www.pacificmarine.org/boat-listings/custom-steel-trawler-85/index.shtml

but there is no way for me to spring 400K on it, at least for 5 or more years.
but trading up is always an option. the boat will be used mostly twice a year, once to FL in the fall, once to NY in the spring. MPG will be important, and throwing a 5.9 cummins conversion in the boat would be a good option.

year? i dont care.
size? i was thinking no less then 1400 SQFT living space, however that works into it.
class? trawler. house boat cannot go around the world, as i plan to do eventually.
speed? slow, dont care if it goes 3KTs.
i want a boat that can take off and power right over to the EU, or Antarctica.

reason? this might sound insane, but i think things are bound to become unlivable in most of the world before i die, so much so that if one day i get sick of it i can pull up anchor and go to Antarctica. or some small island in the south pacific.
the first boat i buy does not need to do this, but the boat i go up to will.
either way i want a boat i can live aboard for dozens of years.

any suggestions? (aside from professional mental help)

we'll buy you a ticket an you can leave tonight.

so for the first boat i think 40' would be a good choice.

there are two ways i can go on this.

1. buy a used diesel boat
2. buy a gas boat and convert it.

the diesel 40' boats i am looking at are about 150k range.
the gas boats are in the 20-50K range.
i would place two 5.9 cummins in them, and most of the time i would be putting along at 3-5KTs.
i dont think i would ever need any sort of speed.
i know i want an enclosed helm, and perhaps a flying bridge.
has to be aft cabin or better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983...95704?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item1e5f8e8978
like that.

but here is a diesel thats not bad.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LIVE...45298?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item1c17045972

where ya goin to float it??? river, lake or salt water???

where ya goin to dock it???

wouldn't a house boat be better???

i was hoping at least one person on here would have first hand knowledge....
i would like some tips before i go and blow tons of cash on the wrong boat.

scoobert said:
i was hoping at least one person on here would have first hand knowledge....
i would like some tips before i go and blow tons of cash on the wrong boat.

wrong boat ? there are no other...... unless it's your last one on 10.....
tons of cash ? a boat is just a hole in the water to throw your money in
tips ? you don't need a boat.... find a friend with one .

belgiumbarry said:
wrong boat ? there are no other...... unless it's your last one on 10.....
tons of cash ? a boat is just a hole in the water to throw your money in
tips ? you don't need a boat.... find a friend with one .

lol. i knew that, i have a 25' boat now. nothing i could live on or go to key west on.

I would love to have a boat like that, I'd be cruising the Pacific right now headed to Thailand.

Have you thought about shopping for one out of the country? Might be able to score a better deal and then just cruise it home.

been on ebay, lots of nice ones in Washington state oddly enough.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50-S...74193?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item35add35231
will be looking on yacht trader as the time draws near. right now i need to figure out exactly what type, and what options i need.
A hand-held “Yacht-Controller” reaches the foredeck/windlass-anchor handling and up to the flybridge for outside walk-around control of steering and both engines!

why Thailand? i was thinking of Vietnam myself. have wanted to go there after i saw the top gear special.

actually its going to be two boats. the first one while i still own my place, then i will be selling the boat and property, and getting a much larger boat (80'+)

scoobert said:
been on ebay, lots of nice ones in Washington state oddly enough.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50-S...74193?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item35add35231
will be looking on yacht trader as the time draws near. right now i need to figure out exactly what type, and what options i need.

why Thailand? i was thinking of Vietnam myself. have wanted to go there after i saw the top gear special.
Couple of reasons for Thailand. First of all, it's a cool place as long as you go to the right area. Secondly, the OL is a Thai citizen. She is actually of Laotian heritage but was born in a refugee camp in Thailand after her family fled Laos. So that could come in handy.

I also know some club Brothers in Thailand, so I'd have someone to tear it up with from day one hehe.

My cousin is living there right now, she just went over a couple of months ago with a gig as an English teacher. She loves it there.

Our plan is to eventually move there, along with both of my brothers-in-law once they retire from the military. But we're talking now about heading there sooner rather than later. Maybe as soon as our lease runs up if we can make it happen.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back